DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1986 Power Ram 318 4x4
Color: Gold and Black
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
Haynes is on a distinguished road

^^ ok. I honestly was starting to doubt my thought process and was coming back to ask more questions but this seems to help. Can i just keep the factory heads (the more i read, i think i have the desirable "swirl-port" design), Performer Intake, a factory Thermoquad carb, headers (1 5/8"), and a cam?? The only reason i was considering porting my heads is because the motor would be taken apart anyway for the cam installation, but honestly the more i think about it, it probably isn't necessary (the truck is just a weekender).

Also, the more i prepare for this modding I've come across a couple of other things i unsure of.
1) I want to go factory Thermoquad... however, my truck is EGR equipped. What should i do in terms of carb and ignition?? I read some guys are doing headers (no-cats), EGR-less carbs and a stand alone ignition system to bypass computer -OR- do headers (still no-cats), EGR-equipped carb and retain factory computer and ignition??

2)Depending on the answer above, which vehicle should i pull this carb off of?? Obviously it will be Chrysler for the linkage, but with a mild cam, headers and Performer intake which vehicle would have the best factory jets and such to bolt on to my 86 w150??
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Now you're getting it. Any TQ carb will do. If it was on a 318, it'll have a restrictor in place that keeps the secondaries from opening fully. It's easily removable. Since all those carbs were jetted as lean as possible, I'd look for one from at least a 360. Even one from a 400. If you snag one from a late 340, it's all good, you can always, easily tune it down a bit with the metering rods. Older TQs have fewer emissions ports to cap, but any will work. An early 340 unit will be the best, but also most costly. As an alternative, an Edelbrock Performer or Thunder series carb is great. Both are updated Carter designs that pre-date the TQ. Wish they'd do it for the TQ too.
If you don't have emissions to worry with, I'd block the exhaust crossovers in the heads, rendering EGR null and void. There are several ignition alternatives. There's the Mopar system, Mallory ready to run distributor, even the growing movement towards the GM HEI distributor setup, which is also essentially a drop-in unit as well. The only computer an '86 would have might be the lean burn. Doing what you're planning will remove it effectively.
I ran a 318 with the basic mods in my first car, a '69 Charger. It ran beautifully and regularly knocked down 19mpg as long as I stayed out of the carb. Back then there were fewer options. I was lucky to have an SP2-P intake, some cheap headers, and the CompCams 260 High Energy cam. Dad insisted on a new Holley 600, but nobody knew how to tune it. Once I put on a rebuilt AFB, it roared nicely and I had it tweaked in no time. The TQ is the ultimate street carb. If you are willing to deal with digging up parts (they're out there) you'll be fine.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1986 Power Ram 318 4x4
Color: Gold and Black
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
Haynes is on a distinguished road

Well this sounds like a plan. I got some toys i need to sell before i get to drop crazy money into my free, old truck but i can't wait i driving her the way she is to work tomorrow to let our quick lube shop manager criticize her (he got an 80's Ramcharger that he is obsessed with). I hoping to get her washed up and get the simple shit fixed by the end of this coming week, then i got spring break to waste an entire week on her!!! I haven't looked yet, but if this forum has it i wanna start a build thread for this baby. This is gonna be my new good looking, bad ass women with y'alls help haha