DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
chilock is on a distinguished road

My brother in law went to a quick oil change place. When he left he got a mile away and the car shut off. They forgot to put oil in it. He called them and told them and they actually said "oh,ok.....which car was that." Apparently his was not the only one that day. long story short, they put some junk motor in it and it was never the same. The funny part of the story, if there is one, is the fact that he had always changed his oil him self and this was the very first time he brought it some place. Personally I always change my own fluids so i know it is done right.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: Hunter Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
DenDen is on a distinguished road

Well I went to the dealer today to get the oil changed.They also did the first inspection that was due anyway.The place where I bought it said it would take 4 hrs to do the inspection,the local dealer here did it in 1 hr.Cost was $96.I asked about using synthetic oil and the reply was,"oh thats an extra $60."I found that excessive so I didnt go for it.I'm starting to like the local dealer somewhat better.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST quad cab 4wd
Color: Red
steve57 is on a distinguished road

I get my oil changed at the local Havoline Xpress Lube, regular 5w 20 oil. Synthetic
is a waste of money. I save the receipts. The engine is only covered for three years.
In 50 years of driving, I've never had to have warranty work done on an engine. I did
have a transmission come apart once at the track when racing a new 1962
Plymouth Super Stock max wedge 413.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
Rammin88 is on a distinguished road

Around my area (southeast PA) They have a deal, $60 for 4 oil changes including filter. At $15 a piece from the dealer I couldn't resist. $60 and I'm good for the next 12-17k miles.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Rugged Brown
roadrnnr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
if your happy with the dealer and service, use them. i stay away from quick lube places. actually, i do it myself.
I second that. I actually have the first year oil changes free but then I am switching to synthetic
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve57 View Post
I get my oil changed at the local Havoline Xpress Lube, regular 5w 20 oil. Synthetic
is a waste of money. I save the receipts. The engine is only covered for three years.
In 50 years of driving, I've never had to have warranty work done on an engine. I did
have a transmission come apart once at the track when racing a new 1962
Plymouth Super Stock max wedge 413.
had this conversation with my father a little over 30 years ago. i don't find synthetic junk, but a natural progressive improvement in fluids. dino is fine if you are going tdo oil changes every 3 or four thousand miles, but with the longer oci and thinner oils, i find the synthetics beneficial.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
hemitrx4 is on a distinguished road

I`ve always changed my own oil, especially after hearing stories of filters coming loose. At least if you do it yourself you know what you`ve got. I usually rotate my tires as well while the oil is draining. Had the dealership rotate them once and it cost me $96 for an hours labour for them to use a lift and air tools to do something I did in 45 mins with a jack ,2 jack stands, and hand tools. I figure why waste money when you can take a bit of your own time and do it yourself. Another perk of doing it yourself is you can look things over when you`re under the truck. I had mine at the dealership to have the front end inspected for routine maintenance and the next day it was the alignment shop that told me about a CV boot leaking. There was grease all over the inner fender, A arms and everything but somehow the mechanic missed this when doing the inspection.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: ST
blk2011st is on a distinguished road

I would strongly urge you to not use a quick lube place. I used to manage a "jiffy lube" and a "valvoline instant oil change" and to say the least, it is a shady business. Depending on the circumstances, wether its a technician being lazy and not wanting to change a filter, or just a lack of inventory, there will usually be something that was forgotten or simply not done. Some of the "horror" stories I have seen (and shamefully contributed to) are:
1. Woops, we dont have their oil filter in stock. Just spray it with brake cleaner and write todays date on the old one.
2. Hey i destroyed the oil filter taking it off and we dont have a new one. Ah, go find one in the USED filter barrel and clean it up.
3. Did anybody put oil in that car that just left...?
4. Crap, were out of the 5-20 synthetic they wanted and we already drained it. Just put 10-30 dino oil in it.

These are just a few examples of why i NEVER let anybody touch any of my vehicles. And a little word of advice, If you do use them to have your oil changed, pick a oil that they carry in bottles and WATCH THEM CRACK OPEN THE SEAL on them. The bulk oil is usually a cheap mystery oil. Yes, i am embarrased to say that i have refilled oil bottles with bulk oil just so the customer can "see me pour it in". Things like these are more likely to happen when they have a long line and dont have the time to run up the street to the local autozone or napa and get the stuff they need.