DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 4x4 QC Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
LT suss is on a distinguished road
Default Parking--Learning curve?

So I picked up the new Ram Friday and spent all day Saturday running errands on and off the interstate and around town. The truck drove like a dream. Parking, on the other hand, was more of an issue than I imagined it would be.

It seemed like every shop I pulled into had a parking lot designed for Smart cars and Fiats. One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process.

All of that confirmed that I'm going to get a backup cam installed when I do the new stereo/HU.

What I'm wondering is, for all of you that went from driving a mid-size sedan to a truck, how long did it take to get comfortable with just whipping into a spot on the first try? It gets easier, right?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: 15 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue Streak Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1195
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT suss View Post
So I picked up the new Ram Friday and spent all day Saturday running errands on and off the interstate and around town. The truck drove like a dream. Parking, on the other hand, was more of an issue than I imagined it would be.

It seemed like every shop I pulled into had a parking lot designed for Smart cars and Fiats. One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process.

All of that confirmed that I'm going to get a backup cam installed when I do the new stereo/HU.

What I'm wondering is, for all of you that went from driving a mid-size sedan to a truck, how long did it take to get comfortable with just whipping into a spot on the first try? It gets easier, right?

There is no learning curve, the turning radious on the 4th gens could be better. I always feel like there should be one or 2 more inches of turn in the wheel when it smacks the stops.

It usually takes me 3-4 tries in a crowded/cramped parking lot too. If I can I try to park away from others though, so its less of an issue for me, until I get home. My apartment complex parking is rediculous, 2 spaces, then a pole (holding the carport up) then 2 more spaces and a pole...my neighbor on one side has a Tahoe and my neighbor on the other has a White 4th Gen SLT. We ALL hate the parking lot. When I get my beater car from my friend, the truck will get parked either out on the street nearby, or in long term storage, pulled out once a month or so for a joyride, then put back to rest.

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew in Blue Streak Metallic Pearlcoat-Mopar spray-in Liner, Mopar Mud Flaps, 20% tint, Mopar Side Steps, Best-Top Tri-Fold Bed Cover, DZ Tailgate assist.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted and tunes. 183k miles and counting...

Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Glad to hear it's not just me. I'm sure with more time behind the wheel I'll figure out the no-go spots before even trying to fit.

Me and the wife will be moving to GA soon from FL, so hopefully the town is more truck-friendly in terms of parking lots than what we've got down here. I haven't heard too many complaints from my buddies up there with trucks.

You're at Lewis? I used to work out there and lived on top of a hill out in Olympia--I'd have given anything to have a 4x4 back then...
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Yup, parking is a challange. I have been getting quite creative in avoiding the problem. Which means I get lots of exercise in the process.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Yup, parking is a challange. I have been getting quite creative in avoiding the problem. Which means I get lots of exercise in the process.
Yeah, that's funny actually. I was driving my wife around and said to her that I'd never before realized all the pickups parked out at the far end of the lot before until I had to do it myself...
Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Color: White
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:26
Moose612 is on a distinguished road

Lol It becomes easier it really does. Once you get the angles down and the way the truck turns youll get into it. Granted there are some places you will have to perform the 50 point turn shit to get into a parking spot but it gets easier with practice. you just gotta know your truck is all.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Rep:251
2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

I agree, it becomes easier with time and practice and learning how your truck turns and getting a feel for the size, back up cams are nice but be careful with traffic coming from the sides because they dont show that...
Old 02-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
seltzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT suss View Post
One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process.
No huge loss there!

As others have said, it does in fact get easier. I have driven just about everything from small cars, medium trucks, large trucks, vans, delivery trucks, bucket trucks, utility trucks...the learning curve for parking is just as Army said...make your own space out in the boonies and walk! It's easier parking, and leaving. (sometimes getting into the spot is the easy part!).
Old 02-26-2012, 01:22 PM

Agreed. Not that the world needs another Prius, but I didn't need the insurance headache...

I'll definitely be out in the boonies for a while though.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:20
Morlow is on a distinguished road

I don't even try to park next to other cars with my truck haha. I just park way out at the end of the parking lot and call it good. By the time I would have actually got my truck parked next to another car I am already inside the store.