DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Parking--Learning curve?

3K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  LeKy411 
#1 ·
So I picked up the new Ram Friday and spent all day Saturday running errands on and off the interstate and around town. The truck drove like a dream. Parking, on the other hand, was more of an issue than I imagined it would be.

It seemed like every shop I pulled into had a parking lot designed for Smart cars and Fiats. One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process. :doh:

All of that confirmed that I'm going to get a backup cam installed when I do the new stereo/HU.

What I'm wondering is, for all of you that went from driving a mid-size sedan to a truck, how long did it take to get comfortable with just whipping into a spot on the first try? It gets easier, right?

#31 ·
not to burst your bubble, but my 19 year old parks with out issues when i steal my jeep back from her. so far no dents or door dings from her tips to the mall. of course since doesn't pay for gas, oil, ins or make any payments, she just isnt afraid to park in tight spots. in other words, you are most likely doing fine, just afraid of that first ding.

#32 ·
Oh heck, I scratched my painted mirror on the post protecting the ATM the second day I owned it. So last Sunday. The next time I went through I pulled the mirror in first.

Mikeski...

#33 ·
Oh heck, I scratched my painted mirror on the post protecting the ATM the second day I owned it. So last Sunday. The next time I went through I pulled the mirror in first.

Mikeski...
I did the same thing when i first got mine, didnt damage anything tho and mines only a 05 so not a huge issue.
I usually try to back into a parking spot when I can, or park at the end of the lot and walk

#36 ·
I'll typically just back in, and make use of the park sensors. It's easier to get in to the spot, and a hell of a lot easier to get out of.

I'd love to get a back up camera... though not for the traditions uses.... I want one so that I can find those little bitty cars that always seems to disappear behind the tailgate when stopped at a light or stop sign.... I HATE that

Exco

#37 ·
I actually just read in the paper that some bill just passed that will require all vehicle to have backup cameras in them by 2014. In the meantime I'll just stress about dents, scratches and idiot college kids.

#39 ·
Because they count on people in CARS to see the yellow out their window and not open their doors into them. I have to be mindful of this too, because my truck sits high enough that I dont see those when they are right next to me...

*WHACK!*

:158::doh:

Oh, I never told you guys...but about 30 minutes after I bought my Ram, my wife backed it into one of those poles at Wal-Mart.:str: Just a light tap and a nice crease in the center of the bumper...ALMOST dead center.

Thats ok though, because about a year later, I was backing into a spot at applebees, and I bumped into a little TINY sapling branch (not even the trunk) with the tailgate, right under the black plastic rail cap. To this day there is a nice quarter-sized dent there. I couldnt believe a sapling did that...but F*** it, its a truck.

#40 ·
Preferred parking is either the front spot of two inline (think H, enter on bottom, park in top), or two adjacent (parking into the near) or best of all 3 adjacent (parking in the center one).

For tight spots, it really is easier to back in (rear sensors but no camera). At night I usually will open the door for the last couple of feet so I can verify alignment and distance.

My last truck (S-10) I was trying to back an empty flatbed trailer so thought I'd be smart and just lower the tailgate so I could see the trailer. Let's just say that the front lift on the trailer is stronger than the top of a tailgate... and there is interference at about 20 degrees...

I started a game with my new RAM of verbally calling the distances when I park like "front wheels 3 inches from curb" or "right front corner 8 inches from post". After 6 months I still feel good when I get it right. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.