DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough
Default 2012 Hemi Exhaust on 2002 4.7?

I just scored this almost new, (183 miles) cat back exhaust from a 2012 Hemi and am wondering how it's going to work on my 2002 Ram with the 4.7L?

I was actually more concerned if the pipes would clear the spare tire and if the tips would look okay on a standard bumper without the indents so I mocked it up...I don't hate it...

Last edited by IN2H2O; 06-26-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Hey man I think it looks good. The stock muffler won't be a performance increase but the tips look pretty good IMO, as good as any other duals I've seen.

Sorry I just got your PM, I've been out of town...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM

I'm more after mileage than performance anyways. My old engine was burning so much oil for so long I figure my Cat has got to be plugged up and not letting my new engine run like it should. I was looking to purchase an aftermarket exhaust when I stumbled across this one for $50.

My current exhaust has 293,000 miles on it and is finally starting to show it's age so it was perfect timing. It may not outperform an aftermarket exhaust but it will definately outlast it.

I bought a 3" Magnaflow Cat already and the 2-1/2" x 3" Y pipe should be in any day now. All combined it should flow much more than what's in there now and is likely to sound a helluva lot better too.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah definitely a good deal. The tips alone are probably worth more than $50. While it's apart you could get a long drill bit and drill a hole straight through the muffler to help a little, without adding a ton of noise. Like you said though, it will be better than your old exhaust. Follow up when it's on!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM

The Y-pipe showed up today so I now I just have to find time and a good shop to drop my truck off at.

I've been playing videos on youtube of before and afters with Magnaflow mufflers and am now seriously considering a 24" magnaflow. I just know that I won't be able to keep my foot off the gas if I do.

Sean: How big of a hole would I need to drill thru the center? This muffler is already almost double the size of my old one and all the tubes are larger dia so even left bone stock it should flow more than what I have now. I have done true duals before and while it does improve flow and seat of the pants acceleration, there is a noticeable decrease in torque when under load.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 PM

I'm going with a 24" maggy as well. I'll probably be ordering it this weekend and installing it within a month or so.

If you had the means to drill a 2" to 3" hole straight through the muffler, from inlet to outlet, it would help flow. It won't be nearly as good as a maggy or similar, but a little better flowing than stock and it will certainly be louder. So don't do it if you don't want it loud. The issue is that most people don't have a 2.5" diameter drill bit that is 3 feet long lol.

I'd just spend the $90 and get the maggy. It'll perform better(about as good as it gets) and it will be quiet under cruise rpms.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Not to mention how much lighter the Magnaflow will be...not that weight is really a concern but...

I actually have hole saws up to 4" and enough extensions to reach at least 36", lol.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Well hell if you wanna be cheap drill a 3" hole straight through it. Worst case you don't like the sound and buy a maggy. It will help performance a little. Just don't leave any loose metal in there it will rattle.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 AM

I finally found a decent shop and had my exhaust put on this morning. I'm pretty happy overall with the look and sound of it but only time will tell if wil have an affect on mileage. My CAT was plugged up for sure and she is breathing just fine again. Can't wait to go back to work next week and put a couple tanks thru it and see if my numbers improve.

I installed the exhaust as is without adding any additional holes. Even stock it's much louder than I had anticipated but it's still subtle enough that I can live with it and there's no drone in the cab, just a nice throaty rumble similar to a 24" magnaflow just alot quieter.

All said and done, I am $276 into it at this point and couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Last edited by IN2H2O; 07-22-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 AM

Awesome, final pics???