DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

This is what my Ram sounded like with one broken exhaust manifold bolt on the passenger side. You can hear it clearly over the exhaust during the first little bit of the video.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
dirkpitt is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Bolts

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Here is a from the EPA's website. According to this document, under the
Emissions Warranties for 1995 and Newer Cars and Trucks

These components should be covered. I have already contacted Chrysler about this and they still say I have to pay to have the bolts and manifold replaced. Now that being said, i have an extended warranty on my 2009 Dodge as the lifetime warranty does not transfer. I HAD TO PAY $100 OUT OF POCKET. I believe Chrsler should be picking this up since the emissions warranty should be 8yr/80k miles. has anyone had success with this?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

The Manifold is not covered.

here are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or
80,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) on 1995 and newer vehicles:
• Catalytic converters
• The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU)
• The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt View Post
http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Here is a from the EPA's website. According to this document, under the
Emissions Warranties for 1995 and Newer Cars and Trucks

These components should be covered. I have already contacted Chrysler about this and they still say I have to pay to have the bolts and manifold replaced. Now that being said, i have an extended warranty on my 2009 Dodge as the lifetime warranty does not transfer. I HAD TO PAY $100 OUT OF POCKET. I believe Chrsler should be picking this up since the emissions warranty should be 8yr/80k miles. has anyone had success with this?

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Rep:15
dirkpitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
The Manifold is not covered.

here are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or
80,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) on 1995 and newer vehicles:
• Catalytic converters
• The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU)
• The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)

Per the EPA document:

Emission Related Parts
These are examples of other parts of your vehicle which have a primary purpose other than emissions control but which nevertheless have significant effects on your vehicle’s emissions. If any of these parts fail to function or function improperly, your vehicle’s emissions may exceed federal standards. Therefore, when any of the parts of the following systems are defective in materials or workmanship and have failed in a way that would be likely to cause your vehicle’s emissions to exceed federal standards, they should be repaired or replaced under the emissions warranty:
1. Fuel Injection System: fuel distributor
2. Air Induction System: turbocharger, intake manifold
3. Exhaust System: exhaust manifold
4. Ignition System: distributor, spark plugs, ignition wires and coil
5. Miscellaneous Parts: hoses, gaskets, brackets, clamps, and other accessories used in
Old 02-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Orange
Rep:10
KalMana is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem.
My dealer told me they had alot of cars that they changed on.
And it was always on the passenger side, the one at the back.
My problem is I live in Sweden, where theese cars dont sell.
All RAMS are private imports, therefor I dont think a recall would apply to me.
Another problem is that in Sweden everything is more expensive.
The dealer wants about $3125 to change a bolt.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMana View Post
I have the same problem.
My dealer told me they had alot of cars that they changed on.
And it was always on the passenger side, the one at the back.
My problem is I live in Sweden, where theese cars dont sell.
All RAMS are private imports, therefor I dont think a recall would apply to me.
Another problem is that in Sweden everything is more expensive.
The dealer wants about $3125 to change a bolt.
^^^^ $3125 to change one bolt, that is brutal.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: slt Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
khsderek is on a distinguished road
Default Tick Tick

Well I called the dealer and asked if they would cover my broken exhaust studs under warranty and they said yes they would. So I took it in and to my surprise they changed all the studs and bolts on the right side as well as the manifold all under warranty. They then proceeded to tell me I only have 6 months warranty left.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Orange
Rep:10
KalMana is on a distinguished road

Could somebody help me find a place to buy the new style bolts and gasket?
After reading this thread I think I´m going to change them my self.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
09bighorn is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to bring this issue back up for all those that have this problem I heard the ticking noise and being a mechanic myself I knew what the noise is. My truck has about 50k on it. So I made the appointment to get the pinion nut recall done and told them about the noise. Dropped the truck off overnight and at about 5 o'clock the next day they called me and told me the truck was done. When I asked what they did, they said they did the recall and found broken bolts on the manifold. They said they took the manifold off, removed the broken bolts and reinstalled manifold with new gaskets. All of this was covered under warranty of some kind. I have only brought the truck there for warranty issues. They are still covering this problem. So all of those of you that have to fight with the dealership this might shed some light on the subject that not all dealerships are stealing, but some definitely are.

Last edited by 09bighorn; 02-26-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: fat finger typing
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

First I'd like to say that my dealer has always treated me exceptionally well. That said I purchased my vehicle March 5 2009 so my inspection is due now. I heard that we have a 60 day grace period to get it done. In the mean time I'm sure my 7 and 8 exhaust bolts just broke because I can hear the ticking from the leak on cold start ups. Yesterday I called my dealer and talked to someone who at first played stupid about the 5 yr inspection. Then I proceeded to tell him that my exhaust bolts are broke and I could swear that I had them changed out already and asked him to check. Lo and behold this guy (Brady) said he didn't see where it was done on the computer. I said well it WAS done and I'd like to know how they could break again if they changed them out with the new stainless bolts....he was like da da da? They do replace them with stainless exhaust bolts right....so I was told? After complaining about the bolts he then acknowledged knowing about the 5 yr inspection and said I had to bring it in asap before the 5 yr anniversary date or my warranty will be voided....I said oh you remember now? I then asked if he knew if there was a grace period and he said he had no knowledge of it. Well guess what, today I get home and there is a powertrain inspection postcard in my mail box and it clearly says that this a free offer and it will expire on May 3...two days before I purchased the truck so now I'm ticked. So to add fuel to the fire I dug up my maintenance records and found out that they DID in fact change them out on 01/31/11 with 20572 miles on my truck at the time. And they say they changed 4 of them...doesn't say which ones on the receipt. Says RRT 10-009 QTY 4 FP # 6509544-AA...description Stud Doub 9004007. So now I'm going to have to get all of my maintenance records in order by date and go dispute this. I have a good mind to go to another dealer and get their buts in trouble for not fixing something they claimed they fixed. And I may go to a friends shop and have him write a repair order on the broken exhaust in case they try to hide the facts or give me trouble about it. Question before I make a fool of myself, can these bolts break again and do they replace them with stainless bolts? EDIT: I have 66k miles on my truck