DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^can you explain more on this?
Of course. You see how he has his cooler installed for the inlet and outlet are horizontal, well sometime people connect the pressure on the top and the return on the bottom which isn't very effective at cooling because of the reduced flow and it also effects the pressure and total volume of fluid that flows out of the cooler. Now if you hookup the cooler so the pressure line is connected on the bottom and the return on the top then the result would be more effective cooling of the fluid along with a steady volume of pressurized fluid. This is enables the owner to remove the anti-drain back valve and not have to worry about drain back, this is what I do and it works like a charm. No drain back and I get a flow of about 1 quart per 10 seconds but the flow rate isn't because of the cooler but the pump. I have a imperial maxi-kool, I bought the large model I think it's for vehicle with a GCVWR of 20K Lbs I don't remember. But it works well, no leaks, great temps and flow, just a all around improvement.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 03-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I am curious as to how "pushing" the fluid up against gravity through the cooler provides better flow, volume, and pressure?

Not arguing, just doesn't make sense to me. I'd think pushing the fluid with gravity would give better flow, volume, and pressure(although I'm sure it's not imperative either way...).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am curious as to how "pushing" the fluid up against gravity through the cooler provides better flow, volume, and pressure?

Not arguing, just doesn't make sense to me. I'd think pushing the fluid with gravity would give better flow, volume, and pressure(although I'm sure it's not imperative either way...).
Well It's Physics! But I actually tested it both ways and there was a difference between the installs in my tests. It would certainly effect the temperature if the fluid flows up because then their is more fluid in the cooler then if it just drops down the cooler. Their certainly would be more pressure if it flows up, those pumps in the transmission are very serious, we're talking anywhere between 50-270PSI line pressure (depending on the engine rpm and what gear you're in of course).

But again it does enable you to remove the anti drain back valve without any drain back because the cooler is generally installed above the torque converter so fluid doesn't naturally flow up.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks. Do you know which way oem coolers flow?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Do you know which way oem coolers flow?

I believe they flow up as well this would be the external coolers. However if you're talking the stock cooler in the radiator then it differs from year and model, some have side flow radiators so the transmission cooler is going to most likely be installed vertically which means the flow would probably be up, then rads that have horizontal coolers will have a side flow however the internals of the stock centric cooler have small holes much like a screen that helps keep pressure and flow. It is very effective the stock coolers but when the temps begin to increase due to demands on the engine then the fluid coming into the cooler is almost the same as it's output.

Oh one thing I did that could be considered strange to some is that I installed my cooler between the pressure line and the stock cooler in the radiator. The reason I did this is because it has been proven to reduce engine temps at higher RPM's and under load, since I tow this would obviously be a good idea. It's actually common in the racing industry to find transmission cooler setups like this because the transmission fluid heats up quickly and most stock transmission coolers are installed in the bottom of the radiator which will just heat up the cooler fluid, this is a reason why many manufactures have implemented side to side radiators that have the transmission cooler mounted vertically inside the rad instead of horizontally.

I had installed a 3 row all aluminum radiator to help with cooling when I tow, I can say that I am very happy with my 3 row rad, it does a mighty fine job and it only cost me 112 Bucks shipped when when I bought it, I got lucky cause the place I bought it from raised the price to about 160 Bucks!

I remember not to long ago I actually overheated my engine because of the transmission temps getting to high. But I got lucky and noticed the temps getting to high and had to reduce speed dramatically and put my front and rear heater on which significantly reduced the coolant temperature.