DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram – 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 1st Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1985 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: Blue
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:10
nagosnell is on a distinguished road
Default 85 D150 (2wd) Front Bearing Replacement

I just got my first Dodge from a family member. Apparently, the passenger side front inner wheel bearing disintegrated. The hub/rotor (it's weird calling it just a rotor) was very loose and wobbly on the spindle. He didn't drive it too far like this so the spindle appears to be fine. When I took the hub/rotor off, I couldn't even tell that there had once been an inner bearing in there and the rubber seal was mostly gone.

Now to the problem: I bought a new hub/rotor, inner bearing, outer bearing and rubber seal. Since the old inner bearing was gone, I'm having trouble figuring out how the new one goes on. The inner bearing fits into the rotor but also comes with a metal sleeve. Is this metal sleeve supposed to be pressed into the rotor on top of the bearing?

I did a test fit with the inner bearing in the rotor and placed them on to the spindle... after I slid the rubber seal onto the spindle. I does not seem like the rotor is fitting onto the spindle as far as it needs to go and there seems to be a lot of room between the rubber seal and the bearing. I drew a crude diagram showing what it looks like. The seal is red and slides al the way up the collar of the spindle and the bearing (blue) only buts up to the collar. Does this look right? Any diagrams and/or pics would help. I'm very mechanically inclined but this one has got me fooled. Any help would be great! Thanks!

dodge d150 spindle.jpg
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

The bearing and race go directly into the rotor.

The races go thick side in (facing each other and taper outward)

The bearings sit in the race.

The inner bearing and race go in first, and then the seal gets tapped into the inner side of the rotor (rubber side out). Then the Rotor'bearing/seal slide onto the spindle. If they're not sliding all the way on then there may be more damage to the spindle than you realize.

Don't try to force it. But once you get it all together (rotor/bearing/seal) try sliding it onto the spindle. There should be enough room to install the outer bearing/washer/nut and cotter pin.

Make sure the bearings are greased very well once you determine that everything is okay. Once you put the inner seal in it's a pain to grease the bearing so make sure you do it before installing the seal.

It may help to try a dry fit without the seal to be sure everything is okay.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sounds great! I wanted to be absolutely sure before I tried. Thank you very much for the help!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default 85 D150 (2wd) Front Bearing Replacement

I knew something wasn’t right! The bearings were still not fitting right. I finally took the other side (drivers) and noticed that the spindle was different from the side (pass) that I was working on. It is smooth while the side that I’m working on has a “collar” around the inside end. Because the bearings and seal that I bought for the passenger side fits the drivers side, the passenger side spindle most be from another truck. We bought this truck at a government auction from a fire department. I’m guessing that, instead of buying new parts for the truck, they pirated a spindle and bearings off of an older 70’s Dodge that was sitting behind the shop.

Can anyone tell me what year (around about) truck that this spindle came from? I tried to post a picture but wasn’t able to. Like I said, the factory spindle on my truck is smooth from the outside end to the inside end while the mystery spindle has the collar on the inside end…like the drawing from my older post. If I know what year it is, I’ll just exchange my rotor and bearings for a set from the appropriate year.

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Are you sure the "collar" isn't actually part of the old bearing/race? I've done quite a few landscape trailer repairs and what you're describing is what they look like when one comes in damaged. It's the exact same set up as your truck and seems to be what you're referring to. Double check that all the parts came off and aren't actually fused to the spindle giving the impression of a "collar".

Make sure it isn't the inner bearing with all the "bearings" missing. I'd be willing to bet that that's what is is and it's giving the illusion of a collar.