DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: RT
Color: Black
Rep:10
rtcanada is on a distinguished road
Default Long tubes vs Short tube headers (4th gen)

First off there is a fair amount of information on the web about the benefits/downfalls of each. Does anyone have dyno sheets for the short tubes? AMRH has the dyno for the LT's on the website which is nice. I don't think that I'm 100% sold on the benefits of the long tubes for $1000 less I can get shorties that will open up the exhaust a fair amount. Is there a point where you are making enough power to make the margin between the two styles of headers negligible? I'm comparing the the AMRH to the JBAs of course, I think these are the only options for us 4th gen guys. Tax return time is approaching quickly and I've already ordered my new e-fan, 16 plugs (one step cooler, intentions for a 100shot ), 180t-stat installed and I think I'm going to buy a K&N intake to replace the AFE I have but this is all a new subject.

Thanks for any info guys and gals!!!

Matt.
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

haven't seen any JBA dyno sheets yet. AMRH also recommends custom tuning which would add to the price difference but also to the hp difference. Some people have had problems with codes popping after their L/T install if they didn't get a custom tune.

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
haven't seen any JBA dyno sheets yet. AMRH also recommends custom tuning which would add to the price difference but also to the hp difference. Some people have had problems with codes popping after their L/T install if they didn't get a custom tune.
Sorry I forgot to mention that either way the truck is getting tuned, I have a crower cam and single piece rods chillin behind my passenger seat and I just paid inertia for my tune with the intentions of getting everything installed sometime this month. So either header will be tuned for my application...I've been leaning towards the shorties lately as my intentions are to keep it mild for daily driving and then turn all systems go at the 1/4 mile. The money saved might get flipped into a drop kit or something.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

JBA said they have not actually got any dyno numbers on our 4th gens yet. he said they are working on it!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparornocar72 View Post
JBA said they have not actually got any dyno numbers on our 4th gens yet. he said they are working on it!
How recently was this? thanks for the info.

Guess I should shift my thread then to say are Long tubes "really" worth the extra $1000??

My current plans are e-fan swap, 180t-stat, intake, exhaust (headers undecided), camshaft, cmr tune, and a 100 shot for the track.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:69
ramrt1993 will become famous soon enough

I don't really think the longtube headers are worth the money..I almost think I got more of a butt dyno gain from my crappy aFe stage 2 intake! Plus now it feels like my truck surges under load at low rpms, so the drivability has gone down. They're good quality headers, I just think they're too expensive. Plus the surging really pisses me off.
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

IMO you will be better off with the shorties. with a daily driver just getting rid of the logs that pass for exhaust manifolds will be much better. long tubes are going to give u top end and some mid-range. on my daily commute at 75 mph i'm at 2 grand on the tach. long tubes are not going to give you anything there.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:69
ramrt1993 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcoolvinilla View Post
IMO you will be better off with the shorties. with a daily driver just getting rid of the logs that pass for exhaust manifolds will be much better. long tubes are going to give u top end and some mid-range. on my daily commute at 75 mph i'm at 2 grand on the tach. long tubes are not going to give you anything there.
Some good info there! I was always told long tubes give lots of power down low..I haven't felt any of it. Either torque management is stealing any extra power down low, or the long tubes don't give any extra power at low RPMs. But at WOT around 45 MPH, the truck does wake up pretty good and I do feel some gains. But from all the mods I've done, I've felt the most from my CAI. Which is weird cause the aFe design sucks..and I wanna replace it with a Vararam
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

Remember we are talking about an engine that is nothing more than a pump.. The efficency of the "pump" at high rpms demands more air to be moved thru the system. That is where the LT's come into their own as the rpm's and the power band moves up. The most important thing to remember is that torque is what you are looking for as much as HP we are moving a big bunch of mass in a truck. the power band for a track car truck whatever will be between 4 grand and 6 to 7 grand not much use on the street.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Are you installing the cam yourself if you need any help just let me know?

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning