DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: RT
Color: Black
Rep:10
rtcanada is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input, I am confused on how long tubes make more power through the band. I was under the influence that for the top end the shorties would shine. As i intend to do mostly hwy travel with no towing my rt is over 2g on the tach at 75mph (4.10s woot). i think ill get the shorties (coated) based on the input.

ramtex, I'm actually a service advisor at a dodge dealership and I'm going to arrange the install with one one of our mechanics thanks for the offer
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcanada View Post
Thanks for all the input, I am confused on how long tubes make more power through the band. I was under the influence that for the top end the shorties would shine. As i intend to do mostly hwy travel with no towing my rt is over 2g on the tach at 75mph (4.10s woot). i think ill get the shorties (coated) based on the input.

ramtex, I'm actually a service advisor at a dodge dealership and I'm going to arrange the install with one one of our mechanics thanks for the offer
Had a dodge mechanic set the timing on mine too using dealer connect and he biffed big time... Just want too make sure you get it right the first time... If you do get headers i would advise you to put them on when you do the cam install and put them on the heads outside the truck you will save about an hour of install time this way.

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Ramtex, thanks for the concern I really appreciate it, my mechanic has done a few cam swaps as well as a 3rd gen which he owns. I've taken the liberty of showing him the timing instructions off your 400stroker build thread, which is amazing btw, down the road (after University) I'd like to do a similar build with a supercharger

As for the headers I will be getting the local muffler shop to do it at the same time as I do the rest of the exhaust, I called MBRP and they are helping me put together a kit for a true dual setup (x pipe, 2 2.5inch mufflers, and the piping to the tails) From here I decided it might be best to just get the shop to put it all together seeing as it may not be a direct bolt on like I'm used to -I also lack a wielder -
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM

RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Quote:
Ramtex, thanks for the concern I really appreciate it, my mechanic has done a few cam swaps as well as a 3rd gen which he owns. I've taken the liberty of showing him the timing instructions off your 400stroker build thread, which is amazing btw, down the road (after University) I'd like to do a similar build with a supercharger

As for the headers I will be getting the local muffler shop to do it at the same time as I do the rest of the exhaust, I called MBRP and they are helping me put together a kit for a true dual setup (x pipe, 2 2.5inch mufflers, and the piping to the tails) From here I decided it might be best to just get the shop to put it all together seeing as it may not be a direct bolt on like I'm used to -I also lack a wielder -
Just make sure he pulls that oil pump off to check the crank gear is aligned with the chain marks. If you havent looked at this or have not downloaded it yet it is a total lifesaver...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72221

BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:69
ramrt1993 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I'd love to see how you weld the x pipe onto the headers...I installed headers and true duals, and my exhaust shop had to weld a y pipe onto the the ARH y pipe to make an 'x pipe'. Unless you get the shorty headers, then you wouldn't have that problem.

Here's a thread discussing that problem.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....472#post722472
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune
Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrt1993 View Post
I'd love to see how you weld the x pipe onto the headers...I installed headers and true duals, and my exhaust shop had to weld a y pipe onto the the ARH y pipe to make an 'x pipe'. Unless you get the shorty headers, then you wouldn't have that problem.

Here's a thread discussing that problem.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....472#post722472
Read this also great info. Decided I'm going for the shorties with custom catted mid pipes to the x, should be fun

also thanks for all the help Ramtex

Last edited by rtcanada; 03-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Read this also great info. Decided I'm going for the shorties with custom catted mid pipes to the x, should be fun

also thanks for all the help Ramtex
Yeh if you you guys need any help at all just let me know and ill give you my cell. If you get lost or confused about something...

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

ARe you guys kidding me? This guy is about to be cam w/ nitrous and you guys are saying shorties will be just as good"?

Agreed that most of the time long tubes dont do much for the truck, but on your daily commute neither does a cam, or nitrous, or a stroker kit, or any of the mods really.

OP if your building a race truck, weather it be a serious ordeal or not, Your cam is going to shift your powerband north, which is where LTs shine. A good tuner that knows his stuff will make a truck with LTs drive like stock. Dont spend all this money on ACTUAL go fast mods then screw it all up now...

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
ARe you guys kidding me? This guy is about to be cam w/ nitrous and you guys are saying shorties will be just as good"?

Agreed that most of the time long tubes dont do much for the truck, but on your daily commute neither does a cam, or nitrous, or a stroker kit, or any of the mods really.

OP if your building a race truck, weather it be a serious ordeal or not, Your cam is going to shift your powerband north, which is where LTs shine. A good tuner that knows his stuff will make a truck with LTs drive like stock. Dont spend all this money on ACTUAL go fast mods then screw it all up now...
At the low to mid end, the best way to maximize your scavenging effect, thus helping to maximize your engine's V.E., Is to move the exhuast out of the engine as fast as possible, or with as much velocity as possible. Long tubes work best for this because of their length, and their width (well, lack of width). Thier length allows an elongated path for the gas to flow, thus allowing the gas to leave the cylinder with more speed because the gas has more time to gain velocity before it hits the collector.

Now, you've heard car enthusiasts state that ANY restriction is bad for a motor, no matter what. This is not completly true, in your exhaust, small, strategically placed, smooth mandrel restrictions can be a good thing due to the fact that well place, correct sized restrictions followed by larger openings actually speed up exhuast gas flow. So the smaller diameter tubes actually serve your scavenging better in the mid and low ranges.

Mid and low ranges dont produce alot of actual exhuast volume, so small tubes dont restrict or "back up" flow.

LARGE, SHORT TUBE HEADERS MAKE FOR "LAZY" EXHUAST GAS SPEED WHEN EXHUAST VOLUME IS LOW!! (as it is in the low and mid range).

However, if you dont even begin to tip into your power band untill about 3700, you may consider short tubes. High RPM operation in a big motor (not talking about 4 bangers here), yeild LARGE amounts of exhuast gas discharge. THIS is where you need the larger diameter tubes, to get more volume out of the cylinder. THIS is where you can loose power due to pumping losses on the exhuast stroke. In an ideal world, your exhuast system would be soooo effective, that by the time that pistion STARTS coming up on the exhuast stroke, your ports and headers will have scavenged all exhuast gas out of the cylinder during the duration of the exhuast pulse. If there's no sizable amount to push out, there in a low pressure area in the cylinder (also known as vacuum), almost causing a "pulling up" affect on the piston. So, your not loosing power by pushing, your gaining power by being pulled.

Hope this helped!

This is a quote from a physics site I use, just some of the research I've been up to. From the sounds of it LT's will help power from low-mid range (ie. situations like daily driving/towing), I however do not care about my power in these areas of the powerband. My intention is to take the truck to the track a few times this summer, on 20 inch general grabber UHP's and see what it can lay down, these will be the only times that the truck will be seeing the high rpms and from what I know shorties can be beneficial (maybe not as good as LT's but so marginally close that it wont matter) enough to make the $650 for coated JBA's worth it for me. Also I want to get coated headers as I intend to switch to the efan and want to try to keep the heat down a little.

Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

rtcanada - what cam are you going with btw? I didn't know crower made a 4th gen cam. Is it the same one shophemi sells b/c I think crower makes their 4th gen cam?

While L/Ts are the best choice I still figure the $$$ per hp when I buy mods and it looks like you are basically doing the same. No there aren't any dyno #s out for the JBAs but I will agree with you the $1000 difference isn't worth 10-15 hp unless you are trying to get every last hp out of your motor. I think your truck will run pretty good with the mods/tuning you are planning and the NOS (100 hp shot??).