DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 blacktop qq 4wd 8speed
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
hemiexp04 is on a distinguished road
Default has anyone cut front 4x4 springs?

Ok so here's the deal. I may get bashed for it but I refuse to pay 900 for a lowering kit that is only coil springs. So my plan is to buy belltech 4in lowering coils for the back with end links etc etc and just cut the front coil springs. I know I've seen lots of guys cut their 2wd springs but I haven't found a Deff answer for a 4wd. Looking to get a 2/4 drop for my 2014 4x4
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2015, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:54
SK-Ram will become famous soon enough

Dude, you have a 2014 Ram and want to cut your front springs, face palm. You asked a similar question on another forum and every single guy told you to just pony up the cash and do it right. Cutting a linear spring is a bad idea.

'13 SXT 4.7 6" Lift & 35's Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM

Yes I know. Just trying to see what other options there are. I've seen probably 100 guys cut their springs with zero problems. Not saying I'm going to do that. I'm probably going with the gf kit just seeing if this will be an option as well.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM

I already have the rear springs left over from my last truck. Just trying to see if this would be OK until I can buy the gf kit. I don't see why cutting 1.5 coils would do any damage or affect anything.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:470
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Nick,who told you ,you can't cut lineer springs.
A spring is nothing more then a solid bar,when you cut a spring it gets stiffer.
Basically think of a spring as a bar of steel clamped in a vise,say it's 10 ft long,get on the end of the bar and twist it with a pipe wrench,now cut that spring to say 6 ft long and try to twist it the same distance,it takes more force to twist,that's why a cut spring will ride slightly stiffer.
It's torsional twist that compresses a spring.

1.5 coils might be a little much though,start with a 1/2 to 3/4 coil cut at most.
Sucks if you overcut the springs,you can't put the coils back

On a lineer spring,if you figure out how much you want the drop in a percentage factor,then transfer that percentage factor over to the spring and cut it.
You have to measure the outer diameter of an individual coil to get each coils length,then add the amount of coils together to get the overall length of the spring,and then cut it whatever percentage you want your drop to be.
Say the truck sits at 33" to the fender lip,and you want it to sit at say 30" after cutting,you'd cut roughly 10% off the lineer springs total length.
A progressive spring is a bit differant,as it has more coils on a close wrap on one end,that basically lengthens the bar,which gives you the softer ride factor over a lineer spring,as the longer bar is easier to twist and compress.
Hope that makes sense,i'm to lazy to go into more detail,lol

Last edited by Hornet; 01-27-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You can't cut the 4wd front springs or they won't fit back into the upper spring locator or sit on the lower spring mount. If you're dead set on not going the GF route then your only other option is the McG's deluxe kit that uses the 2" drop spindles which will work on the 4wd just fine. I ordered just the front coils from GF when I did my install and used the 2/4 McG's deluxe kit and chopped the rear springs which game me a 4/6 drop on my 4wd so it's possible to make things work how you want but because GF is the only company marketing a drop kit for the 4wd you're kinda stuck with it.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:470
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Had to go look at a 4X4 on the dealers lot just to check up on you Kurtis,but yup you're right the 4X4 springs are tapered on both ends,so they aren't cut-able.
But just to clarify a lineer spring can be cut if it's not tapered on both ends.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:06 AM

I found a cheaper route if you all would like to read my last post