DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road
Default My SCT tuner thread

Hey all...

This is an ongoing thread that will review my SCT tuner.
The reason I bought this tuner is to see if I could increase my gas mileage on my ram. I already knew about the power gains others have reported witht the tuner Hemifever sets up. But I challenged Sean to build me the ultimate "89 octane" can tune that would give me a boost for towing and a mileage boost while running 87 octane gas.

For the last 3 tanks of gas I have recorded miles driven/gas burned so I could get a mileage baseline. My truck is driven in mostly commute situations but under a variety of speeds ranging fom 30 to 65 mph. In a 10 mile one way trip I may stop as many as 9 times. Low end acceleration is important and my truck lacks this. I also need highway power to keep up with traffic patterns.
My truck is also ran on weekends as my toy. I attend functions for another very active local forum This involves highway and freeway speeds.

BTW, this is meant to be a simple real world test. No ultimate horsepower dyno runs, no trips to the strip. What I want to find is...do tuners really help mileage. or is "the potential for mileage gains" many manuactuers state just a buzz phrase.

So lets start. I've recorded the last 3 tanks of gas I purchased from my local QT. Plain jane 87 octane with a hint of ethanol. There is non ethanol gas availible, but simple math based on mileage claims others state shows there is no cost benefit to running it. In other words you save 2 cents per gallon burned but spend .20 to do so.

So after 3 tanks, my average mpg is 10.45, or 10.5. No onboard computer reading, just plain old division.

This morning I installed the 89 octane tune from my SCT. Nothing could have been simpler! I decided to get the "wild hairs" off my butt and take it for a spin on a test circle which closely imitates my work route. But with a bit heavier foot...Now, this tune didn't turn my truck into a tire smoking superbeast. But I immediatly noticed 3 important things.
1> Less effort needed to accelerate from a dead stop. Doesn't squeal tires, but doesn't fall on its face either. Goodbye torque limiting!
2> Truck doesn't hunt for lockup. No lugging then violent downshift. Goes into OD at 40 mph. Slight rpm increase (mileage loss?) but if the advance and fuel were leaned up by the tune theres a mileage potential increase.
3> No pinging.

I will continue to report on the mileage, and yes, I will try the 93 tune for giggles...but not for a while.
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 AM

Vehicle: 97 ram 1500 ss/t 5.9
Trim Level: ss/t
Color: sunset burnt orange
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:44
dodgeman2289 is on a distinguished road

my sct on 87 woke my truck up i got 87-91-93 i use 87 for gas millage but she still got alot of power. and my mpgs stayed the same on 87 i have never done a 91-93
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
MaleNurse is on a distinguished road

I have been running mine for mileage and have seen no real increase. I will tune it to 91 octane today, if I can't have mileage I might as well have fun. I have a hard time finding 91 octane fuel though... Do you guys have any suggested octane boosters?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Well I filled up today...mileage is only up to 10.7 mpg.

And I'm worried about my transmission. The new shifts seem to heat things up quite a bit. Much more than I'm used to seeing.
I'm going to adjust my TV cable this weekend and see if that helps. Otherwise I may have to remove the tune.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

Good thread here! I've been wondering the same thing about tuners and their claim to mpg gains.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
Good thread here! I've been wondering the same thing about tuners and their claim to mpg gains.
Thanks...again, I'm gonna blame my tranny at this poiint. If shifts late through 2nd and 3rd and doesn't seamlessly go into OD until I lift the pedal. That's definetly a throttle pressure adjustment AND a mileage killer. By design the tuner makes it worse...the truck wants to be driven harder.
So I can't blame the SCT...and as far as power goes, the difference from stock, especially on the highway against the ever present Oklahoma wind is amazing.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 03-17-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Okay...adjusted the TV cable...and it was WAY off! Tranny shifts much better now, and I expect mileage to go up and based on a long test drive the heat to stay down.
Will post when I fill the tank again.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: black
Rep:12
augiedoggy is on a distinguished road

I member of another forum posted 87 -89 and 93 octane dyno results before and after factory death flash tune was removed and replaced with the sct... the biggest improvement was with the 93 octane tune and as sean explained it because of pinging it was the best for maximizing hp and torque..... and on the dyno with two runs verifying this the increase with the 93 tune over stock is 20lbs of torque and 4HP...thats right 4HP... thought you were getting better results didnt ya?... the other thing like the torque management removal and such make it feel that way but at a cost..
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I member of another forum posted 87 -89 and 93 octane dyno results before and after factory death flash tune was removed and replaced with the sct... the biggest improvement was with the 93 octane tune and as sean explained it because of pinging it was the best for maximizing hp and torque..... and on the dyno with two runs verifying this the increase with the 93 tune over stock is 20lbs of torque and 4HP...thats right 4HP... thought you were getting better results didnt ya?... the other thing like the torque management removal and such make it feel that way but at a cost..
I remember reading this post ( I am a member of that forum under a diff s/n)) and querying the owner about it. did not get specific answers to my questions so I started a dialogue with Sean. I challenged him to create an "ultimate 89 tune" that could be run on 87 gas but with more guts than the 87 tune. He claims he created this tune for me as a canned tune. Maybe he didn't.

I also know the owner of the truck involved in the dyno runs has an older second gen truck. I don't believe the 99 and older trucks benefit from tuners as much as the 99 and up trucks. Part of this is the amount of deathflashing and torque management upgrades in the later trucks. Since torque management was designed to limit lower end power to decrease driveline damage warranty claims you would not see that on the highend.

Having owned a '97 club cab 4x4 short bed with a 5.9 I can tell you that truck would burn rubber and run away from my 2000. It also averaged better mileage, but unlike this truck never had a lift or tires.

I'd like to state that if the tuner increases torque 20 ft lbs I'd like to believe I got that much and maybe more. Torque is needed to get things moving, horsepower helps keep you there.
I can tell you that part throttle acceleration is awesome compared to my non tuned truck. Holding a steady 65 going up a hill in a headwind is no longer a gradual pedal feed until kickdown occurs. At around 1500 rpm in OD/lu, I can gently depress the gas pedal and hit 65+ mph to pass in traffic without kickdown. Again, before the tuner my truck could not do that.

Lastly, the truck will light up the rears without flooring it on wet pavement. Again something the truck wouldn't do before the tuner. So I'm glad I don't have to use kickdown to get moving...we've had a lot of rain in the last few days!

Point: If I paid 265 bucks and got 20+ ft lb of torque right where I needed it this was a more cost effective mod than the price of my Catback, FIPK and coil combined, not to mention the fancy ignition wires. But I'm also looking for a mileage increase. No solid data has been compiled on mileage in all these other tests. The power increase is welcomed, but how long will it take to pay for the tuner in gas savings? So far I've got about a half mile per gallon. I was suprised at this based on the power increase, but as stated previously I blame a transmission out of adjustment.

I promise to try the 93 tune someday. But not tomorrow, or next week.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 03-23-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: black
Rep:12
augiedoggy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiespaniels View Post
I remember reading this post ( I am a member of that forum under a diff s/n)) and querying the owner about it. did not get specific answers to my questions so I started a dialogue with Sean. I challenged him to create an "ultimate 89 tune" that could be run on 87 gas but with more guts than the 87 tune. He claims he created this tune for me as a canned tune. Maybe he didn't.

I also know the owner of the truck involved in the dyno runs has an older second gen truck. I don't believe the 99 and older trucks benefit from tuners as much as the 99 and up trucks. Part of this is the amount of deathflashing and torque management upgrades in the later trucks. Since torque management was designed to limit lower end power to decrease driveline damage warranty claims you would not see that on the highend.

Having owned a '97 club cab 4x4 short bed with a 5.9 I can tell you that truck would burn rubber and run away from my 2000. It also averaged better mileage, but unlike this truck never had a lift or tires.

I'd like to state that if the tuner increases torque 20 ft lbs I'd like to believe I got that much and maybe more. Torque is needed to get things moving, horsepower helps keep you there.
I can tell you that part throttle acceleration is awesome compared to my non tuned truck. Holding a steady 65 going up a hill in a headwind is no longer a gradual pedal feed until kickdown occurs. At around 1500 rpm in OD/lu, I can gently depress the gas pedal and hit 65+ mph to pass in traffic without kickdown. Again, before the tuner my truck could not do that.

Lastly, the truck will light up the rears without flooring it on wet pavement. Again something the truck wouldn't do before the tuner. So I'm glad I don't have to use kickdown to get moving...we've had a lot of rain in the last few days!

Point: If I paid 265 bucks and got 20+ ft lb of torque right where I needed it this was a more cost effective mod than the price of my Catback, FIPK and coil combined, not to mention the fancy ignition wires. But I'm also looking for a mileage increase. No solid data has been compiled on mileage in all these other tests. The power increase is welcomed, but how long will it take to pay for the tuner in gas savings? So far I've got about a half mile per gallon. I was suprised at this based on the power increase, but as stated previously I blame a transmission out of adjustment.

I promise to try the 93 tune someday. But not tomorrow, or next week.
Good points... but He did in fact have the death flash (which negative effects are very exaggerated BTW)
and if you have bigger tires and a lift that is the difference in power you feel..especially if you still running 3.55 gears.. the only differences between the 96 and 01 rams is some sensor placement, a divider in the intake on the 97-older rams which costs some horsepower and the later rams 00-01 I believe used slightly different newer style injectors which should equal better fuel atomization and better mileage but the real world results dont really show it... Oh and the exhaust was different but most people on these forums have done some alteration to that anyway...
beeker had a lot of the usual aftermarket mods on his truck and I as well as many others expected to see better gains.... this just backs up why they dont advertise any proof of their products performance in terms of dyno numbers on their site..