DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default Opinions please!!! Should I trade my Ram for this Ram??

Hi all. If you have read too many of my posts then you probably know that I LOVE my Ram. The only one single thing I would change is to add more power. The first gen 4.7 engine seems like a great engine...it's just entirely underpowered for a quad cab automatic pickup. I wasn't actually looking to trade but I ran across a hemi truck that I might be able to basically trade even for. What do you guys think??

Both trucks are silver (my favorite color), SLT trim level, quad cab, 4x4, automatics and have within 500 miles of the same mileage (about 67k). The two big differences are that my truck is a 2006 where the other is a 2004 and my truck has the 4.7 where the other truck has the hemi. There are a few minor differences....like my truck having step bars and the other one not and my truck having a Line-x liner and the other I think has a drop-in. I haven't been to see it in person yet so for arguements sake we will assume they are in the same overall condition.

I am a little hesitant and the only way I will even consider trading is if they swap me dead even....I don't even want to pay tax, tag, and title....and swap wheels and tires. The 2004 has the "flower petal" 20" wheels and looks to have a lower profile street tire.

What do you guys think? Would I be an idiot to do this? I know my truck is worth more than their's but I am also taking into consideration that they are trying to get retail out of their's and I am trading mine in.

Also, are there any big differences or issues that the 2004 truck might have that the 2006's do not? I know Dodge had some transmission issues that seem to have been improved in the early 2000 and up trucks. Would the 2004 tranny be as reliable as my 2006?

Thanks ahead of time. I know that's a lot but I am really stressing over this, lol.

Here's a link to the 2004 if anyone cares to check it out.

http://www.universitynissanusedcars....4333805-wp2789
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 03-03-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

That's a tough one. The '04 is a good year, at least it has tuning ability, unlike the '03. If you're set on getting into a hemi then a straight across trade is the simple way to go, but I would have the truck looked over with a fine toothed comb as it IS 2 years older and likely has more age-related issues than your '06 would. The tranny on the '04 is the 545RFE, the upgraded tranny from the 45RFE which had all the problems. You can remove the nerf bars and install them on teh new truck just the same as swapping the wheels over, so there shouldn't be any issue with that; as you said, yours is worth a little bit more, so take more with you in the swap.

On a side note, my brother's '04 hemi is doing him just fine, and it's used as a DD and to haul their camper trailer across the mountains every summer.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Take a mechanic with you to check it out
Paying them a small fee, may save you big buck hassles later

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The truck is about an hour and a half from me and I need to decide whether I am going to go look at it or not by some time tomorrow so I can call my boss and try to get off of work for Monday. In the event that I were to trade....it sucks that I just got all four Bilstein 5100s installed and a new Magnaflow and SS tip, lol. I guess the good news is that the 2004 has torsion bars and I wouldn't have to buy a leveling kit.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: eXpress
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:15
fat1 is on a distinguished road

Don't do it man, Gut it out with your 4.7 until life allows you to truly upgrade. I spent the past 5 years towing a bass boat all over this mountain state with an S10 Crew Cab. Not only did it run like shit but it looked gay while doing it. 5 years, FIVE! but now I am driving what I really wanted. There were a couple chances during that time to trade up or over to a v8 dakota or 5.3 RCSB silverado but I gutted it out. Thats my opinion
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

Id have it really looked at and if its sound and theyll do a straight swap I dont see why not especially if you take your wheel/tires. If someone offered me that trade for my truck Id do it in a hearbeat
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat1 View Post
Don't do it man, Gut it out with your 4.7 until life allows you to truly upgrade. I spent the past 5 years towing a bass boat all over this mountain state with an S10 Crew Cab. Not only did it run like shit but it looked gay while doing it. 5 years, FIVE! but now I am driving what I really wanted. There were a couple chances during that time to trade up or over to a v8 dakota or 5.3 RCSB silverado but I gutted it out. Thats my opinion
I could probably afford to get into a newer third gen or maybe even a fourth gen hemi in about a year if not for the fact that my wife and I are planning to buy a new house within the next three to four years. That being said, if I don't make a trade similar to this one where it isn't going to cost me very much, then I probably won't trade at all. I will probably be keeping my current truck (or the 2004 if I trade) for several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmanicac View Post
Id have it really looked at and if its sound and theyll do a straight swap I dont see why not especially if you take your wheel/tires. If someone offered me that trade for my truck Id do it in a hearbeat
Yeah, if I do end up going to look at it and talk numbers and I'm still interested I intend to take it home for at least a night and have it checked out locally.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT- Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:19
dig is on a distinguished road

I would not do it. Trading down and not knowing what you may be getting in to. If your truck is in good cond. just put up with the unpower till you can jump to maybe a 4 gen. They get old quick enough. The 2 years will make a different in price when you do trade. You will get this truck and then you will start add things and will have way to much in to it. Set back take a deep breath and think this one out. There is a lot of good deals out there so do not be hasty. Dad has spoken.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Thanks Dad, lol. I did a little digging and found out that the truck was registered to a 60 year old man and woman since 2006. It appears that they traded it in to a dealership where they live and it got transferred to a sister dealership that has a better market for 4x4s. I even Google-Earthed their address and saw the truck sitting in their driveway, lol. I also saw a commercial delivery truck backed up beside the house so I am thinking the low miles (8k miles/year) is because it wasn't a daily driver.

Arrrrggggg!!! I can't decide whether I want to try this or not. I love my truck (except for the power) and feel like I know it very well but the thought of a 110 hp/80 tq boost has me slobbering.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Rep:251
2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

well if it helps, the 04 that I own (which is basically the same as the one you are looking at) was owned by my dad (I bought it from him last september) from brand new. He still says it is the best vehicle he has ever owned! I think about all that you will be scrificing is the interior a bit. Good luck with your decision!