DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

highlandchef....The dealer's incentive is that their truck is NADA retailed at about $15,000, or about what they have it priced at, and mine NADA retails for $18,500. That's why I think an even swap is possible. Obviously I am giving them my truck for trade-in value and basically purchasing theirs at retail. Then, of course, they will retail mine, hence, their profit.

I really, truly appreciate all the responses everyone. I feel kinda bad for saying this because the majority of you seem to be telling me not to do it.....but I did. The truck seems nice and in good condition. I have crawled all over it and yet to find any rust. Their was a couple of things that helped me make my decision. One, I had to drive up a mountain highway to get to the dealer. Obviously, my 4.7 gear hunted a lot and near the top where it is steepest it dropped to second gear and still felt like it was doing all it could to maintain (barely) 55 MPH. I drove the hemi all the way down the mountain and back up and it never dropped below fourth gear, maybe third once very briefly, and felt like it was cruising the entire way. Also, they allowed me to purchase a 3 year/36K mile warranty on the hemi truck. No, it doesn't cover everything but it is very extensive and covers every major component. I could have traded even without the warranty but I elected to pay a little more and get the warranty. I will not put 36K miles on the truck in three years so I have some piece of mind for the next three years knowing I have some insurance. I did also keep my wheels, tires, and step bars.

As for the truck itself, it seems to be in comparable condition to the one I traded. I don't like that I lost my Bilsteins and spray-in bedliner. I also hate that I lost my Ipod port on the stereo, lol. I also agree that the interior, particularly the stereo/HVAC center stack area is nicer in the 2006 truck but everything else is basically the same. I do like the darker interior (dark gray almost black) better than the 2006 truck's light gray and I like the seats better as well. The seat in my 2006 had the notorious collapse issue on the outside driver's edge. I took it apart and built it back up using foam, burlap, and spray adhesive about a month ago and while it looked better, it still hurt my back. The 2004 seat is much more comfortable and has held it's shape for 66K miles where the 2006 one did not. Also, the tach works, lol. It did not on my 2006 and apparently doesn't on many other 2006 trucks as well from what I have read. The 2004 has what I believe to be a Flowmaster SI/DO exhaust exiting on the rear corners just where I like it. I'm going to guess it's a 50 series or something similar because it is longer than the Super 44 that I used to have and quieter as well. I would prefer a Magnaflow but it sounds good right now and will be just fine until it needs some work down the road at which time I might swap it.

Dunno when I will get time to clean it up a little (and probably put the step bars back on, not really decided yet) but I will post some pics when I do. Once again, thanks for all of your thoughts.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 03-06-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Hey, you know what man, as long as you think you made the right call, then good on ya.

Personally, I liked them better before the refresh too. The interiors were TOTAL CRAP in the 06-08 models. Could not stand them. In the 02-05 they were tolerable. You are right about one thing, The seats in my 05 sport were the most comfortable thing I have ever sat on. LOL. If I could without feeling like a complete asshat, I would find a set of tan seats from an 05 and throw them in my 09. Eventually though, I want to upgrade to 4th gen laramie interior, woodgrain, leather, all but the center console. I HATE center consoles in trucks. Its a truck, the shifter is supposed to be on the column, and I should be able to damn near walk across the front floor.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

So you traded for the 2004?

JW but if they were comparable trucks mileage wise and condition, why was someone willing to trade straight up when they had hemi and you 4.7L?

Was it because of the year difference?

From my experience around all these rams, ANY 3rd or 4th gen is a great, reliable truck.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Thanks for the thoughts ArmyofOne. I liked the design of the interior in the 2006. The 2004 is pretty much identical except for the contour of the dash cover, the vents, and the stereo/HVAC controls. And, of course, the previously mentioned seats, lol. Another thing that I like is the fabric used in the seats on the 2004. The fabric in the 2006 would stain/watermark with nearly any type of moisture...even rain through an open door. That and the seat cushions are my only two complaints about the 2006 interior though.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
So you traded for the 2004?

JW but if they were comparable trucks mileage wise and condition, why was someone willing to trade straight up when they had hemi and you 4.7L?

Was it because of the year difference?

From my experience around all these rams, ANY 3rd or 4th gen is a great, reliable truck.
I did trade. The reason I was able to trade even is because my 2006 was two years newer and retailed at about $3500 more than the older truck. I traded with a franchised dealer...a Nissan dealership to be exact. Of course, they wouldn't give me retail for my trade. They gave me trade value which was actually right in line with the retail price of the older truck. So they made money on the 2004 and will make more money on my truck by pricing it at retail.

BTW Sean...I was just looking and you and I joined the forumz at the same time but you have 6k posts to my 600, lol!!!!! You, my friend, are the definition of a posting whore!! That's not a bad thing though...unlike other types of whores.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 03-06-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Gotcha, glad you're happy with the "new" truck.

I sir, am no whore... I just enjoy posting... No one pays me for it

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: eXpress
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:15
fat1 is on a distinguished road

yea man, none of us have to drive either of them or pay for either of them so you have to do what makes you smile. Glad it worked out to your liking either way. Congrats on the new truck
Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
highlandchef....The dealer's incentive is that their truck is NADA retailed at about $15,000, or about what they have it priced at, and mine NADA retails for $18,500. That's why I think an even swap is possible. Obviously I am giving them my truck for trade-in value and basically purchasing theirs at retail. Then, of course, they will retail mine, hence, their profit.
Got it I was sure I was missing something. Since the 04 had the Hemi I didn't think the difference in value would be that great. So yes I can see why the dealer would be willing to make the "trade". I think you might have done better if you sold your truck and bought the 04 from the dealer but what's done is done. I hope it works out for you and you thoroughly enjoy your "new" truck.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Sean, I had an interesting conversation with someone a while back about what exactly makes a whore. Obviously a prostitute is paid but does a whore have to be or can that person simply be very promiscuous (at posting or, umm, whatever the activity may be, lol). From dictionary.com....

whore

   /hɔr, hoʊr or, often, hʊər/ Show Spelled [hawr, hohr or, often, hoor] Show IPA noun, verb, whored, whor·ing.
noun 1. a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet.

So I guess you are correct. I restract my previous statement as to your whoreness and I hope you know I was just kidding, lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Got it I was sure I was missing something. Since the 04 had the Hemi I didn't think the difference in value would be that great. So yes I can see why the dealer would be willing to make the "trade". I think you might have done better if you sold your truck and bought the 04 from the dealer but what's done is done. I hope it works out for you and you thoroughly enjoy your "new" truck.
Yeah, the price difference of having the hemi is not valued as much as you might think in a used truck. On the other hand, a year's difference in otherwise similar vehicles makes a bigger value difference than I would have thought.

You might be right about selling it rather than trading it. I have done both in the past. That's kinda the penalty for the ease of trading it in I guess...you don't have to mess with trying to advertise, show, and sell the vehicle but in exchange you get less out of it. I might could have gotten a little more than the $15,000 trade they gave me on the 06 if I had sold it but I really dunno. Comparable trucks seem to be priced at $17-18,000 at dealers but you aren't going to be able to get that private party. I won't sit here and say that I haven't second guessed myself but like you said, it's done. As long as I don't run into any major problems with the 2004 I will be happy.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 03-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra
Trim Level: SR5
Color: Metalic Grey
Rep:10
Kong is on a distinguished road

Time to update the sig lol.