DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CCLB 5.7L
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
duckman6090 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!!! 35" tires=8 MPG???

I recently bought my 2012 2500 LBCC and had 35" Cooper STT's put on at the dealership. My in-dash read-out says I'm only getting around 8 MPG. I knew that bigger tires would affect the fuel mileage but does this sound right?

Also is there any way I can adjust the spedometer? The dealer said that it is calibrated to the best of their ability but it is still off a considerable amount.

Another thing...where do I find out what gearing I have?

Any comments and help would be appreciated!

Last edited by duckman6090; 03-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram
Trim Level: Lst
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Rhinoogre is on a distinguished road

Gas or deisel? Deisel shouldnt change but gas doesnt like bigger tires.
They shouldn't have put the tires and wheels on w/o calibration anyway. It's against the law. That's knowingly putting a defective vehicle on the road. Take it back. It's done through programing I believe.
You should have metal tags hung on the front and rear end cover bolts. Call an auto parts store with the numbers. They should be able to tell you or look it up on the net.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
Rep:15
337ram is on a distinguished road

I dont think dealer can recal beyond 33s is what I have read, someone confirm that? If thats the case by a programmer and reprogram for tires. Also in the mean time hand calculate mpg, also it should increase after its broking in
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram 1500
Color: black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
black beast is on a distinguished road

best place to check for gearing and everything would either be call your dealership and read them the vin and they should be able to pull up your build sheet. if not the dealership try chrysler.com my buddie did that with his 01
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Licensed thread jacker

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1711
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I have a difference of opinion than previously stated. Here's why:

The larger the tire, the better the gas mileage, and I don't care what anyone else says. Your dash readout isn't accurate and here's why also:

Take a pencil and glue a dime to the eraser. turn the pencil one time and measure the distance the dime travels.

NOW: Take a pencil and glue a 50 cent piece to the eraser. Again, turn the pencil one time and measure the distance the 50 cent piece traveled.

The pencil is your axle. The dime, smaller tire, the 50 cent piece larger tire. Your truck would have to travel twice the distance with smaller (dime) tires than it would have to with larger (50 cent piece) tires, ad your axle would spin 3 or 4 times to cover the same distance. Care to venture a guess why all the automotive manufacturers stopped making 12/13/14 inch rims and tires? 16 inch tires are about the smallest you'll find. It's because increasing the tire size saves fuel and helps vehicles comply with federal EPA regulations and MPG requirements, because they use less fuel to travel farther=MPG increase.

Your speedometer is the giveaway. It might say 35 mph while you're doing 70. That's proof enough that you're getting better mileage because your truck thinks a mile is much smaller than you're actually traveling. Now if you want to believe what you can demonstrate yourself on the kitchen table, go right ahead. I encourage it. However, this is just a proven fact and my opinion and you can listen to reason and proof, or just opinions. What people "think" and what they know are two vastly different things.

You can have someone travel with you and at 10mph intervals let you know, Then you can just get a dial cover and correct it for yourself. Sounds easy enough to me.

Last edited by Warlock III; 03-05-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
seltzer is on a distinguished road

Warlock, I agree to a point. The problem isn't with the tire size, but rather the HUGE lugs guys put on them. Causes wind resistance and friction.

That's why our trucks now come with car tires from the factory...it's how they get their MPG claims!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Licensed thread jacker

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1711
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

When is the last time you saw a 15 inch tire on a Ram from the factory? Granted the larger lug design may have a negative effect but not enough to cancel out the gains from a larger tire. What size are the factory rims now? 20? 22? that's a huge increase in 10 years from 93-03, a 7 inch larger rim.

But I stand by what I originally posted, with the exception that larger treads will have a negative effect, but not overall canceling out the increased mileage of the larger tires.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
seltzer is on a distinguished road

Well, airflow tests have proven that the rake that everyone (myself included) cannot stand actually helps reduce wind reduction. And the generic tread factory tires are another benefactor in increasing MPG claims. Lifting a truck in the front increases wind drag, and larger diameter tires take more energy to get moving, weigh more..thus increasing rolling resistance, and the deeper tread design all take part in lowering ones MPG as a sum. It may not be much, but it is a factor...

I would say possibly 1-2, maybe 3 MPG loss...buts that's all just SWAG (scientific, wild ass guess)
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:44
THasse is on a distinguished road

There's definitely a lot of good points on here already. Warlock, you're definitely not WRONG, but I do think that you are discrediting these external factors way too much. The wind resistance, deep lugs (friction), etc. are what reduces mpg in the first place, why wouldn't they be expressed even more largely as you grow in size.

One of the main reasons that we don't have the 15 inch tires is because people don't want them, they aren't asthetically (however the hell you spell that dam word) pleasing, so we've gone to larger wheels, which is what everybody did aftermarket anyway. You can re-gear it to get pretty much the exact same results. Honestly, I believe they get better results because it doesn't require as much loss of power through gearing to turn them to get the vehicle moving, ever notice that in dirt track racing they aren't using tractor tires?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Raynval is on a distinguished road
Default Tire size

Yes, a larger tire will roll further than a smaller one with one revolution, but to say that has to equal better MPG is a very long stretch. I agree that most of our trucks come geared lower than optimal for MPG, and a larger tire (circumference, but same drag coefficient) would net better MPG in a empty or lightly loaded truck. The 1/2 tons tend to have taller gearing and better MPG than the 3/4 tons, because they have to post the MPGs. The more they are designed to pull, typically the lower the gearing. The lower gearing is actually better at MPG once you put a big enough load on them. Even with the on-board computer in my 2500, you can see the MPG drop drastically every time you hit a hill (load) and have to put a bit more throttle in it. The taller the gearing, the less mechanical advantage you have on that load. I don't think the gearing is the biggest factor for bad MPG when you slap on those 35" M/T tires, it's a lot of factors, but mainly rolling resistance from a much larger contact patch with the ground. It's like going from a Lance Armstrong road bike with razor thin tires that are as hard as a rock, to a Mountain bike tire thats almost flat. Push the two around and you can feel how much that MTB tire takes energy to conform to the ground and roll. Other smaller issues the high flotation tires have are tire weight, flex, wind resistance, lug depth, usually a softer compound etc etc). Here's a article that explains some of the issues, and keep in mind, this article is comparing a road tire to a A/T tire, the rolling resistance is a lot worse when your talking a high flotation tire.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...y/viewall.html