DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Warranty Issues

Notices

Dodge Ram Warranty Issues Discuss your Dodge Ram Warranty in this forum.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:14
RamHemi55 is on a distinguished road
Default Programmer void the warranty??

Hey all, thinking about a programmer for the hemi. only thing holding me back is im wondering if the dealer can find out if i have a programmer on it. a lot of newer vehicles are black boxing the trucks that stores the info so you cant get away with it. has anyone had one on the truck yet and taken in to the dealer?? did you get cought? dont wanna lose my lifetime warrenty. also what programmers are you all using? Can you feel the gain? wanna know if its worth the 400 bucks. thanks!!
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I could be wrong here (and I'm sure someone will point it out if I am), but so long as you're able to return the tune to stock BEFORE you take it in to the dealer, then you should be OK.

I think most of the programmers out there do not leave a trace when they're returned to the stock tune, and the black boxes (in theory) don't keep track of that sort of thing. The black boxes are s'posed to be accessed only during certain situations and then only under certain conditions, and they keep track of stuff like engine parameters, headlight usage, amount of brake applied, etc.

good luck. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 Hemi
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:14
RamHemi55 is on a distinguished road

I hope cause when I had my Cummins I had a programmer on it and had some issues with the fuel system, when I brought it to the dealer they found traces of the programmer. Showed me the print out where the computer read spicked levels in the ecm. Just wondering if anyone was able to get away with it.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
Rise Captain is on a distinguished road

Would also like to know. Same thing from holding me back on the Diablo Trinity programmer

20% Tints, SS 409 Custom Exhaust, Stubby Antenna, 6K 55w DDM HID's in HI's Lows & Fogs, LED Interior & Exterior Lights, Recon Tails, Red Painted Emblems, Plasti-Dipped Grille, Mopar Racing Stripes, 22" Rockstars - 305/45/22 Nitto 420's, Two 12'' Alpine Type R's Under Rear Seat in a FoxBox
Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: ST
Rep:12
mastertech10 is on a distinguished road

dealerships can tell when you have been running a programmer.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

My understanding is you can put the stock program back and it won't be noticed but if a full diagnostic is done for a problem, then it can be found. That was what I was told from a tech at the dealer. So my concern is if you have a major failure and your still under warranty you might be find out. I'd love to do it but not while I have a warranty.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:46 AM

I was afraid to hear that but I felt like I knew it was true.. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for the programmer then.. (sigh)

20% Tints, SS 409 Custom Exhaust, Stubby Antenna, 6K 55w DDM HID's in HI's Lows & Fogs, LED Interior & Exterior Lights, Recon Tails, Red Painted Emblems, Plasti-Dipped Grille, Mopar Racing Stripes, 22" Rockstars - 305/45/22 Nitto 420's, Two 12'' Alpine Type R's Under Rear Seat in a FoxBox
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
InterpunX is on a distinguished road

From what i read superchips is the only one that erases everything so no traces are left. It's just something i read i don't know for sure. I think once you flash your truck, let's say bring back to stock you have to drive around for a while like let's say 500 km so the computer has some data in there. But as far as my truck goes i've had a tuner on the truck since i got it, starting with a Trinity (garbage) and had torque converter replaced under warranty amongst a few other things, and never have they questioned me about the tuner. Some dealers don't care and some might.

As for a tuner recommendation i would say Superchips is the one 2 go with. I had a Diablosport trinity and personally had issues with it, first they don't have a towing tune, which is what i use it for mostly and it's a bit complicated for nothing. The cable that connects to the programmer is weak and cheap, and had to return it twice for them to repair. My dad had the same on his f-250 and they had to replace his PCU twice (under warranty luckily) and that's a diesel and they never asked about a tuner being on it. But we both got rid of them, and since i got a superchips (flashpaq) and must say it's much user friendly and works flawlessly.

If you want to unleash your hemi, id say go for it. Just make sure you put it back to stock before a dealer visit and all will be fine.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamHemi55 View Post
Hey all, thinking about a programmer for the hemi. only thing holding me back is im wondering if the dealer can find out if i have a programmer on it. a lot of newer vehicles are black boxing the trucks that stores the info so you cant get away with it. has anyone had one on the truck yet and taken in to the dealer?? did you get cought? dont wanna lose my lifetime warrenty. also what programmers are you all using? Can you feel the gain? wanna know if its worth the 400 bucks. thanks!!
i have the diablo sport programmer, i went lots of time to the dealership and they did had to plug in their computer and they never mention a thing about it. even once it was for a service recall that they needed to reflash the computer,.. and still no problem

but i do return it to the original stock tuning 1 or 2 days before my appointment

if you shop arounf you can get one for around 299.99$
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher View Post
i have the diablo sport programmer, i went lots of time to the dealership and they did had to plug in their computer and they never mention a thing about it. even once it was for a service recall that they needed to reflash the computer,.. and still no problem

but i do return it to the original stock tuning 1 or 2 days before my appointment

if you shop arounf you can get one for around 299.99$
Great to know! Now I will defiantly get the diablo trinity soon. Thanks for the info! anything else I should know about them?