DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
dodgeman9859L dodgeman9859L is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Age: 24
Posts: 68
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT 4x4 QC
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
dodgeman9859L is on a distinguished road
Default cant figure out whats wrong. pls help

My truck is a 98 2500 and its not throwing any codes but its got a constent hesitation going down the road. when its cold it wont do it at first and if i floor it it feels ok for the most part. dont believe its spark and like i said its not throwing a code. if anyone has experienced this or has an idea pls help and give me an idea. thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,900
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman9859L View Post
My truck is a 98 2500 and its not throwing any codes but its got a constent hesitation going down the road. when its cold it wont do it at first and if i floor it it feels ok for the most part. dont believe its spark and like i said its not throwing a code. if anyone has experienced this or has an idea pls help and give me an idea. thanks everyone.
First try cleaning the throttle body and the next thing I would do if that doesn't work is do a fuel pressure test. The pressure should check out at 43 PSI +/- 5 PSI. These EFI's are picky with pressure, I was once getting 35 PSI and it was so hesitant, it was an indication that my fuel pump was on it's last leg and it was when the truck backfired due to no fuel.

But just try cleaning the TB This sometimes help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
dodgeman9859L dodgeman9859L is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Age: 24
Posts: 68
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT 4x4 QC
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
dodgeman9859L is on a distinguished road
Default

Well the throttle body was just done. and its weird like i said when its cold it doesnt do it much but a few short minutes of driving it does it. mostly does it going a steady speed and it idles fine. going through gas like crazy tho too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,900
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman9859L View Post
Well the throttle body was just done. and its weird like i said when its cold it doesnt do it much but a few short minutes of driving it does it. mostly does it going a steady speed and it idles fine. going through gas like crazy tho too.
It sounds like maybe a Pre-Cat O2 sensor. These O2 sensors don't get accurate readings until they heat up to about 600F. So it's possible the O2 sensor is starting to go bad or it is already. It won't always throw a code which never helps, the only thing you could do is connect a specialized scan/diagnostics tool to get an exact answer. However that can be costly. For the sake of it check the fuel pressure anyways, it won't hurt to be sure. But yea I got a gut feeling it's an O2 sensor. With my luck you just replaced the Pre-Cat O2 Sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 PM
namretsud's Avatar
namretsud namretsud is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SW Ontario
Age: 59
Posts: 489
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about
Default

Undo the precat sensor and hang it to the side so as not to bang it around and go for a drive and see what happens. It will be a little noisy but it wil check out your cat for you. If it runs fine with no problems then you have a cat going bad. If that doesn't change things pull you negative off your battery and go inside the truck and turn the key to start and then off 3 x and the reconnect the battery. This does a computer reset back to the base firmware and will correct some out to lunch reading that the computer can't get back in the right ballpark to run properly. Sometimes the computer will overrun it's calculations to a point that it can't recover and this will put it back to baseline. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM
panhead's Avatar
panhead panhead is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Age: 28
Posts: 676
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough
Default

Do you smell raw fuel while idling? Thats usually a sign that the O2 sensors are shot.
__________________
Keep it Mopar, buy Mopar Parts.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
dodge ghost dodge ghost is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gibbstown, NJ
Age: 38
Posts: 6
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Ghost
Color: Flat Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
dodge ghost is on a distinguished road
Default

I have a 95 Ram 2500... I was getting lack of power...I replaced the fuel injectors in it and the egr valve. Now I have my power back in the engine!! BIGTIME! Also, your engine may just have a vacuum leak...Run a vac test or smoke test to see if there is air escaping. What happened to me was that when driving and just trying to maintain a speed between 40 and 50 the front end would shake and flutter...I originally thought it may be a wheel balance ordeal, but it wasnt. If the cat is going bad, the signs will be: When you try and accelerate, it will take you forever to gain speed, the internal material in the cat sometimes can go bad, breaking up inside causing your engine to be unable to breath basically---suffocating.. I have just went through this stuff with my truck, I replaced the cat and y-pipe assy, the egr valve, fuel injectors, O2 sensor(which you may as well do anyway if youre gonna replace the cat), and yesterday I replaced the valve cover gaskets...Hope this helps..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,900
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge ghost View Post
I have a 95 Ram 2500... I was getting lack of power...I replaced the fuel injectors in it and the egr valve. Now I have my power back in the engine!! BIGTIME! Also, your engine may just have a vacuum leak...Run a vac test or smoke test to see if there is air escaping. What happened to me was that when driving and just trying to maintain a speed between 40 and 50 the front end would shake and flutter...I originally thought it may be a wheel balance ordeal, but it wasnt. If the cat is going bad, the signs will be: When you try and accelerate, it will take you forever to gain speed, the internal material in the cat sometimes can go bad, breaking up inside causing your engine to be unable to breath basically---suffocating.. I have just went through this stuff with my truck, I replaced the cat and y-pipe assy, the egr valve, fuel injectors, O2 sensor(which you may as well do anyway if youre gonna replace the cat), and yesterday I replaced the valve cover gaskets...Hope this helps..
Wow new injectors, must of been pretty expensive. But hey happy you got it fixed, I usually keep my injectors clean. You're suppose to use fuel injector cleaner every 3000 miles but who really does that right...
My injectors are 16 and still injecting lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum