DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
Pax is on a distinguished road
Default Should we trade 2500 Hemi for 1500 Hemi

Hello all! I'm hoping to get a little information so that my husband and I can make a smart decision. Please have patience with me because I'm not very knowledgeable about trucks.

We own a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi. Recently we've had some financial changes and wondering if we should trade it in for a 1500 Ram. We live in Utah and for approximately four months out of the year, we do pull a 19ft Bayliner to various locations on the weekends. Here's a little background:

1. We've had this truck since it was new but only recently had to purchase it from my husband's employer so our loan is only a couple months old. My husbands company gave us a great deal on the truck so we have some equity in it to put down on a different model.

2. Currently getting about 12-13 mpg in city. Husband commutes daily about 23 miles and trip takes between 40-50 minutes on average.

3. When pulling the boat, we are lucky to average 10 mpg.

So here's my question: If we trade it in on a 2010-2011 1500 8 cylinder Hemi, we would save approximately $115.00 month on payments. Any idea how much we could save on MPG in the city?

Would we save any while pulling the boat? We just trying to decide if we should trade or suck it up because the difference just isn't worth it.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: eXpress
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:15
fat1 is on a distinguished road

Any fuel savings would be negligible really. The 2500 is a heavier vehicle but in my limited experience with my vehicle and my friends RAMs (2500 3G, 1500 4G, 1500 3G) we all get around 13mpg and 11mpg when towing. We live in the mountains of WV. I know the payment is lower but how many more payments does it add? We would need more info like how long is the warranty on the current truck and how much is left etc etc. The 2500 is harder on ball joints and universals than the 1500 is so it may not be the monthly costs are lower but maintenance may be substantial if you factor in that you would qualify to purchase the max car extended lifetime warranty on a new 1500. What cab do you have and what cab are you looking at?

Last edited by fat1; 03-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to this RamforumZ

if the boat & trailer are around 3000 to 4000 pounds & you don't pull anything much heavier, i see a 1500 in your future

How much does your boat & trailer weigh loaded,
How many people are usually in the Ram when you are towing
How much gear is in the Rams bed
What is the rear differential RATIO on the 2500
Is it a 4 wheel drive or 2

You would still get the same towing MPG
The suspension on the 1500 really is NOT that good for towing or hauling of heavier weights

You would get a little better MPG with the 1500 when not towing or hauling, only because the 1500 is lighter than the 2500 by around 500 - 600 pounds

I know i didn't help much

If you current rear end is say a 3.73 ratio & you bought a 2011 1500 Hemi with a 3.92 ratio, you may get 2 MPG better on local non towing/hauling drives in the country
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

I traded my 2010 2500 crew cab HD 4wd with 5.7 hemi down to a 2012 1500 quad cab Express 4wd with the 5.7 hemi. For me it was a good trade, I needed better all around mileage and the 2500 was a gas hog compared to the Express I am driving now. I drive the same amount with this truck and same places with same applications except I have not towed with this one yet. ( I know it is capable of towing 10k plus of weight ) I notice alot less cash going from my pocket into the fuel tank. For me the trade was an easy and affordable one. I dont tow big loads, alot of highway miles since Maine is one of those states where everyone and everything is 50 miles apart instead of town stacked upon town etc... I ended up with under 28k for the truck after incentives and Veterans discount that my dealer offers of 500.00 off.
They were hurting for used trucks, since alot of people buy used these days, and mine was already being test driven before I even left the parking lot with my new truck.
I guess it comes down to what type of application you need, work, play, combination of both, etc...
Just my .02 cents. Good luck with your choice. FYI I am very pleased with my Express.

Last edited by jacksonsnorth; 03-09-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: paragraph screw up
Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

We've only had the loan for two months and it's a 60 month term so purchasing a new truck in the very new future wouldn't really be an issue. You see, my husband's company leased the truck for us but new policies have been put in place this year so now we have to be the owners of the truck. That's why we've had it since it was new in 2010 but only recently bought it. It has about 42,000 miles on it currently and when we bought it in January, we did not add a warranty.

The boat we tow weighs about 2700 pounds dry and then we have a single axle trailer so I'm guessing combined weight is 3200 pounds.

The truck is a quad cab and that's important because we are a family of 5. When we go boating, we have at all five of us along and generally a 6th person.

We don't have any gear to speak of in the trucks bed.

It's a 4-wheel-drive

Yikes, I can't answer the question about the differential ratio until I ask my husband.

We need a 4-door with 6 seats, 4WD and tow package

Thank you both so much for the reply!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks Jacksonsnorth as well. It seems we may have pretty comparable needs except that we live in a crappy place where one town runs into another, etc...We actually are from Montana and I would love to be back where there is miles of open space between each little town!

My husbands does get reimbursed for work mileage at .48 cents per mile so that helps but, he's still filling up at a cost of now $110.00 every 6 days on average. Last month his fuel bill was $568.00 with not much over $100.00 reimbursed. If we lived closer to his work, we wouldn't worry so much but with gas prices expected to keep rising, yikes!

I'm going to do a little research on the Express. It's nice to hear real world ratings and experiences because the factory specs don't seem to match up.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

If you want to compare your truck with mine heres a link with the build for a 1500 like mine, including my color etc ... http://www.ramtrucks.com/hostc/bmo/C...2TC/summary.do
Keep in mind every dealer has incentives they can offer to get you the best price possible and dont hesitate to play one dealer off another either. my .02 cents.
Oh ...and I am glad to offer any advice I can. your very welcome.

Last edited by jacksonsnorth; 03-09-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: forgot sentence
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: MagnaHEMI
Color: Deep Water Pearl Blue
Rep:120
KarateManAZ will become famous soon enoughKarateManAZ will become famous soon enough

I have a boat and my 1500 tows it like a champ! Mpg w/ boat it 11-14 depending on terrain.

Oh Yeah its a MagnaHEMI 12.2@109
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

from a numbers stand point you'll probably see get about 10-20% better mpg depending on what gear ratio you have now vs what you go with in the 1500. so I'll use 15% to be conservative but if you are spending $568/month in fuel the 1500 would use approximately $85 less fuel per month.

and yes, a Ram 1500 with a HEMI will pull a 3000lb boat without breaking a sweat.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

put me down for a "no". didn't read all the posts, but the 2500 is more heavy duty, bigger brakes, more carry capacity and so on. this, for me, translates into a better handling truck while towing and adds a good deal of safety. also allows you to move up to bigger trailor should you wish to do so.