DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013Express,2014 Charger R/T
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

The EcoBoost has nowhere near the same fuel pressure as a Common Rail Diesel! And the fuel pressure has nothing to do with the tq curve, the big benefit from GDI is charge cooling to help with knock. As long as you can atomize the fuel properly and deliver enough fuel, what does all the extra pressure do for you? GDI engines also suffer from intake valve deposits and soot production just like a diesel.
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 F150
Rep:10
alacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo View Post
The EcoBoost has nowhere near the same fuel pressure as a Common Rail Diesel! And the fuel pressure has nothing to do with the tq curve, the big benefit from GDI is charge cooling to help with knock. As long as you can atomize the fuel properly and deliver enough fuel, what does all the extra pressure do for you? GDI engines also suffer from intake valve deposits and soot production just like a diesel.

I know the Eco does not have the same fuel pressure as a Cummins, I used to work for them. I never said the Eco had the same fuel pressure as a diesel, I just said that Eco's common rail was like the Cummins. Also, the GDi does help in power because you are able to reliably advance the timing to get the power you want without the knock that you don't.

All I am saying it that I used to own a 2009 1500 CCSB 4WD Hemi(by name only cause it ain't the original) with 3.92 in the rear. I added $1,500 in mods like an Airraid intake, Magnoflow cat-back, and a Superchips tuner and could barely get 14.6 as my best. I now own a 2011 F-150 CCSB 4WD 3.5 GTTDi Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. Stock, I could get 14.7-14.9's. With spending just $700 on both my Airraid and Superchups tuner, my best run is now 14.03. Now if I would have spent $6,000 on a supercharger or turbo's then yes my diet-coke-but-not-even-close-to-the-original-Hemi could have smoked the EB, but I would have ruined the reasons why I mainly buy my trucks which is towing and hauling because my EGT's would probably have been through the roof when doing so.

Last edited by alacey; 05-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Whoa hold your horsepower alacey! No disrespect and didn't mean to hurt your F150 feelings there bud but remember, you are on a Ram sight if I'm not mistaken and this thread is titled "Drag racing discussion". What are you doing drag racing yur EB if you stated the reason for you buying it is strictly for towing and hauling? And most of us here might still have to say, a turbo'd anything motor is still a totally different beast when it comes to drag racing a stock naturally aspirated motor, period! Apples to oranges brother. I used to drag race cars and trucks at the tracks in my 20s to 30s and I'd get beat by the boost 80% of the time. Which reminds me about witnessing a stop light drag between a Skyline GT and a ZO6 the other day. Just take a guess as to whom or who won that one. THE TURBO! Sorry, twin turbos. I understand your in depth analysis as to fuel line pressure and upgraded top end parts but fact of the matter is, our stocker can hang if not edge that 2000psi line ppppppressure; naw mean man? Now a turbo cummins in a half ton; then it'd be apples to apples: or maybe not. And I second what "roo" stated.

Last edited by Gantman; 05-01-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Whoa hold your horsepower alacey! No disrespect and didn't mean to hurt your F150 feelings there bud but remember, you are on a Ram sight if I'm not mistaken. And most of us here might still have to say, a turbo'd anything motor is still a totally different beast when it comes to drag racing a stock naturally aspirated motor, period! Apples to oranges brother. I used to drag race cars and trucks at the tracks in my 20s to 30s and I'd get beat by the boost 80% of the time. Which reminds me about witnessing a stop light drag between a Skyline GT and a ZO6 the other day. Just take a guess as to whom or who won that one. THE TURBO! Sorry, twin turbos. I understand your in depth analysis as to fuel line pressure and upgraded top end parts but fact of the matter is, our stocker can hang if not better than that 2000psi ppppppressure; naw mean man? Now a turbo cummins in a half ton; then it'd be apples to apples.
Aaah I almost completely agreed with you until you said a turbo Cummins in the 1500 would be apples to apples lol I don't think a turbo diesel Vs a turbo V6 would quite be the same. Maybe a turbo 4.7 or Pentastar, but the TQ numbers on a Cummins vs the EB just isn't in the same ballpark
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Hahaha sorry about that InDeep! Just tryin to stir the kettle a bit. Oh hey and congrats on MOTM man! Love all trucks and wish we all can have the best of the best of the best but where would the fun be in that?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Quote:
Hahaha sorry about that InDeep! Just tryin to stir the kettle a bit. Oh hey and congrats on MOTM man! Love all trucks and wish we all can have the best of the best of the best but where would the fun be in that?
Hahaa ain't that the truth! What's life without some friendly competition And thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 F150
Rep:10
alacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Whoa hold your horsepower alacey! No disrespect and didn't mean to hurt your F150 feelings there bud but remember, you are on a Ram sight if I'm not mistaken and this thread is titled "Drag racing discussion". .......

Talk about the F-150 or the EB all you want, it ain't no skin off my nuts. I am not bias, I just buy the best product for my needs. It is your opinion anyways and you are entitled to every taxpaying minute of it. It can be a 2.0 dual overhead hamster cage from Suzuki under my hood for all I care as long as it reliably give me the ability to tow my trailers very well, has the great performance I want, and the fact that it gives me great fuel mileage while doing so is a plus. I don't go by brands because every one of them has let me down at some point and they all have their good points(well I don't know if Chevy has good points anymore). I was just explaining to him that it is not just the matter of adding forced induction. Their are a lot of other internal mechanics that come ino play in the EB as well. As far as apples to apples, they are both in a truck that in competition with each other so the way I see it, game on. Dodge brought the Hemi to the table as their top tier engine in a half ton and Ford brought the Ecoboost regardless of what you think about apples to oranges. If people did not think it was fair, then why are their so many threads about this in this forum? I would say quit comparing the two in drag race threads if they are apples to oranges. If Dodge brought a Cummins as their top tier engine(Nissan is actually the one that is going to do this) the I would say Ford has it's work cut out for them to compete if all they are going to bring is the EB.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Your a good man alacey and your right, anything to get us to the lake and back works just fine. Hell, I've towed my bass boat with my wifes Hybrid Highlander many a times and it works. But shhhhh, don't tell her I told you so.............Take it low and slow or high and dry brother. Time for dinn!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2013Express,2014 Charger R/T
Trim Level: Express
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

Moving the injection timing effects emissions more than hp, unless you are out in left field with your SOI timing. In 1969 the HEMI was rated @ 425 hp (gross) from 426 cubic inches. Today's bread and butter 5.7 truck hemi makes 390 hp (net) from 345 cubic inches. Even if they underrated the 426 the method of calculating hp gives the old HEMI an unfair advantage. If you rated today's "diet coke" HEMI the same way as in 69 it would probably have made well over 425 hp because of the deletion of all accessories, performance tune and free flowing exhaust more than likely including tube headers. Put a stock 426with a torqueflite in a 4600 lb Chrysler Town Country wagon and see how easy it would be to run a bottom 14 @ 99-98 mph like an Express will do with it's "diet coke" HEMI.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

the eb is a nice truck but those little 33mm turbos are already spun to pruduce 12 psi boost stock. that's also why it makes such great low end tq. it doesn't take much to spin up those turbos. Karateman runs 12s all day long in his CC with a stock pullied maggie and I don't see that happening in the eb unless you swap to bigger turbos....which = $$$$. sure a tune and some mods will get the eb about another 100rwhp but those tiny 33mm hair dryers will tap out pretty quick. how many psi do you think you could run on pump gas? maybe 16-17 psi max? my vortech kit should be shipping within the next week and I'll let you all know how it turns out in the 5.7 HEMI section.