DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about
Default 2010 Ram Amp Install!

I bought a Pioneer GM-D9500F 4 channel amp for a steal at my local Future shop. It must have been a display. I couldn't resist. Here's how I installed her. (I have the factory "Alpine" system) I have already installed my Pioneer 130bt Nav headunit.

First thing to do is disconnect the negative battery cable. You don't want to throw any codes or fry anything.

Then I unbolted the seat I think it was 18mm in the rear and 15mm bolts in the front. The rears were pretty dang tight I used an impact to remove them.

I just wrapped the rear seatbelt around the headrest to hold the seat back.

Then I popped the a post/ rocker trim off. (its held on with clips just pull on it)

Ok now to run the power wire. I connected the power wire to the positive terminal on the battery by running it through the existing plastic guard. I want it to still look nice and clean under the hood. I also mounted the fuse holder on the firewall directly behind the battery and installed my split loom on the cable because I don't want an ugly blue cable in my engine compartment.

You'll see this plate on the firewall that is I believe a clutch delete plate. Its plastic and easy to drill through. I drilled it and installed the grommet that came with my 4 gauge install kit and ran the positive cable through.

outside

inside

I ran the wires down the A pillar and along the rocker with the existing wiring harness that's already there and pulled the wire through the existing hole in the carpet under the seat. I just zip tied it along the way to keep it secure. I forgot to get pics of this sorry. Its pretty easy though.

I installed the amp with self tappers into the body but I spaced it up a bit with some nuts to allow a bit of airflow. I think I need a bit more we'll see how hot it gets. Make sure to install it so you can access the settings for tuning later!

The ground wire you can ground right under the seat. I drilled a new hole and sanded it clean before installing a self tapper to keep it secure. Again I forgot to get a pic. I may add them later.

Then I installed the connectors to the ends of the power and ground cables and connected them to the pos and neg on the amp

Then I pulled the dash apart to get at my outputs on the head unit as well as fish the RCA's and amp control wire through from the head unit to the amp. I used a clothes hanger as a fish in this case (i forgot my fish tape at home) I routed mine through the console through a factory hole. (make sure to keep clear of the shifter)

Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Then connect the RCA's to the outputs on the head unit. In this case because I'm installing a 4 channel to control my speakers I need 2 sets. You'll notice in these pics I only have 1 set installed. One for the front and one for the rear door speakers. I'm leaving my dash speakers on the factory amp. I forgot to pickup another set while I was at the store so they got installed after.

Then connect the amp control wire on the pac harness/pioneer harness to the one supplied with the install kit then connect it to the amp.

Then I put her all back together until my speakers arrived. I forgot to leave the dash apart until after the battery was connected so I could reprogram the swi rc for my steering wheel controls. I'll have to do that when I install the speakers I guess.

Last edited by rtkman; 02-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough

Nice install.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:19
2k84by is on a distinguished road

Might want to look at some 90 degree rca plugs. I had an amplifier mounted under the seat of my tacoma. No matter how many times i would warn people about them being there, someone in the backseat would ALWAYS step on them and break them off. Probably went through 5-7 pairs of rca cables before i redesigned the entire system.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTX View Post
Nice install.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k84by View Post
Might want to look at some 90 degree rca plugs. I had an amplifier mounted under the seat of my tacoma. No matter how many times i would warn people about them being there, someone in the backseat would ALWAYS step on them and break them off. Probably went through 5-7 pairs of rca cables before i redesigned the entire system.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may do that but I dont think it will be an issue as the seat is all the way up in those pics and it will be almost all the way back normally so it would be pretty hard to reach them. (you would have to try to even with the seat up) I will keep an eye on them though.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

How did you remove the center console?

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 PM

I didn't remove the console. I just removed the shifter bezel and fished the wires through to an existing cutout in the console under the seats. I used a coat hanger as a fish to do it.