DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: express
Color: red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
msmillie is on a distinguished road
Default factory brake controller

can the factory brake contorller be installed on truck with one plug under dash
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:44
Ironsides is on a distinguished road

Yes. Yes it can.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: st express
Color: white
fitz7603 is on a distinguished road

Not the factory one. It will have to be an aftermarket one or else you will be doing a lot of splicing and it then could throw a code at you.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz7603 View Post
Not the factory one. It will have to be an aftermarket one or else you will be doing a lot of splicing and it then could throw a code at you.
Correct me if I'm wrong...and I certainly could be...but isn't one of the plugs on the factory controller just a standard 4-pin connector that controls the normal trailer brake functions? If you just use this conventional 4-pin connector, the trailer brake functions will operate, but you won't get any display in your EVIC. I thought about going this route, but since I don't have EVIC, I could save money and get some better display functions with a high end aftermarket controller...in my case a Tekonsha P3. Since I was able to mount my controller in the existing plate for the OEM controller, I was happy with the final outcome. My P3 came with a factory harness adapter with that 4-pin connector under my truck's dash. I thought the OEM controller will plug into that same 4-pin connector and operate like a normal brake controller...just without EVIC readout. This would be good to know for sure for others considering the OEM controller who don't have EVIC. Does the OEM controller at least have some minimum display or lights like a basic aftermarket controller for basic operation?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz7603 View Post
All he needs to do to add the factory controller is add the second connector, which requires splicing 3 wires, and get the truck flashed at the dealer. Then it'll function exactly like it was factory equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong...and I certainly could be...but isn't one of the plugs on the factory controller just a standard 4-pin connector that controls the normal trailer brake functions? If you just use this conventional 4-pin connector, the trailer brake functions will operate, but you won't get any display in your EVIC. I thought about going this route, but since I don't have EVIC, I could save money and get some better display functions with a high end aftermarket controller...in my case a Tekonsha P3. Since I was able to mount my controller in the existing plate for the OEM controller, I was happy with the final outcome. My P3 came with a factory harness adapter with that 4-pin connector under my truck's dash. I thought the OEM controller will plug into that same 4-pin connector and operate like a normal brake controller...just without EVIC readout. This would be good to know for sure for others considering the OEM controller who don't have EVIC. Does the OEM controller at least have some minimum display or lights like a basic aftermarket controller for basic operation?
The factory controller won't work with just one connector. It won't even power up. But the EVIC is not required for the controller to work. Even if you don't have the EVIC, getting the truck flashed is recommended, so the computer won't register a hidden error that there's an unrecognized canbus device on the network.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsides View Post
All he needs to do to add the factory controller is add the second connector, which requires splicing 3 wires, and get the truck flashed at the dealer. Then it'll function exactly like it was factory equipped.

The factory controller won't work with just one connector. It won't even power up. But the EVIC is not required for the controller to work. Even if you don't have the EVIC, getting the truck flashed is recommended, so the computer won't register a hidden error that there's an unrecognized canbus device on the network.
And I'm not disputing you, because I haven't experimented with the factory controller, but why wouldn't it power up without the connection to the other 3-pin plug? The 4-pin plug that all these trucks have has the 4 basic wires needed in all aftermarket trailer brake functions. I thought the 3-pin plug was just for displaying in the EVIC. I realize that the factory controller may be a totally different animal. Just asking, not challenging your info here.

Yes, I saw the alternate wiring issue in trucks without the supplied connector in that huge thread on the factory controller.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....light=Netman66

In that first pic of the factory controller, you can see the display and all the apparent functions that you have in an aftermarket controller. This is why I "assumed" it's a basic trailer brake controller with the ability to display in the EVIC and offer some additional bells-and-whistles in the EVIC. Notice I used the terms "assumed" and "apparent"...LOL! I would assume that the factory controller would get its power and other basic interface functions in the 4-pin connector, or otherwise how would it operate the brakes and such through the normal 7-pin rear trailer connector? And if the truck's ECM would recognnize the factory controller as an alien device when plugged into the factory supplied 4-pin trailer brake plug without being flashed, wouldn't it do the same with an aftermarket controller?

Again, not being argumentative because you may be absolutely correct, but some are saying it will work and it appears that they may have tried it. I haven't.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
seltzer is on a distinguished road

I'm curious on this as well. I have a 09 though...the dealer won't even talk to me!

I have one plug, with a green plug right behind it...so I'm assuming mine is only a one plug system...being as its an 09 and there is no "taped up" 2nd plug. I don't want to do a bunch of cutting and splicing, but I would like the factory controller.

Do you have pics of your P3 in the factory bezel? I'd like to see that!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltzer View Post
I'm curious on this as well. I have a 09 though...the dealer won't even talk to me!

I have one plug, with a green plug right behind it...so I'm assuming mine is only a one plug system...being as its an 09 and there is no "taped up" 2nd plug. I don't want to do a bunch of cutting and splicing, but I would like the factory controller.

Do you have pics of your P3 in the factory bezel? I'd like to see that!
Here's a pic. Not as sano as the factory setup for sure, but it's clean, well-mounted, and out of the way. I can see the display and reach the buttons conveniently too. If you get an aftermarket controller that has the manual brake override slide on the face of the unit, you can get the controller even deeper into the bezel's hole. That bezel I'm using is the OEM bezel. It's possible that the factory controller bezel may be even easier to mod for an aftermarket controller. I definitely had to cut the OEM bezel's opening to mount the P3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3 in Dash.JPG (115.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
And I'm not disputing you, because I haven't experimented with the factory controller, but why wouldn't it power up without the connection to the other 3-pin plug? The 4-pin plug that all these trucks have has the 4 basic wires needed in all aftermarket trailer brake functions. I thought the 3-pin plug was just for displaying in the EVIC. I realize that the factory controller may be a totally different animal. Just asking, not challenging your info here.

Yes, I saw the alternate wiring issue in trucks without the supplied connector in that huge thread on the factory controller.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....light=Netman66

In that first pic of the factory controller, you can see the display and all the apparent functions that you have in an aftermarket controller. This is why I "assumed" it's a basic trailer brake controller with the ability to display in the EVIC and offer some additional bells-and-whistles in the EVIC. Notice I used the terms "assumed" and "apparent"...LOL! I would assume that the factory controller would get its power and other basic interface functions in the 4-pin connector, or otherwise how would it operate the brakes and such through the normal 7-pin rear trailer connector? And if the truck's ECM would recognnize the factory controller as an alien device when plugged into the factory supplied 4-pin trailer brake plug without being flashed, wouldn't it do the same with an aftermarket controller?

Again, not being argumentative because you may be absolutely correct, but some are saying it will work and it appears that they may have tried it. I haven't.
Aftermarket controllers draw their power from the same feed that they use to control the trailer brakes themselves. From a controls standpoint, it's not ideal to have controllers and the devices they control on the same feed, but with the relative simplicity of a brake controller, it's not a big deal. The OEM controller isn't powered from the 12+VDC Trailer Tow wire, it's powered from an ignition hot wire in the second connector. The second connector also has the 2 CANBUS wires. The OEM controller won't power up without the ignition hot wire, and it won't operate until it has CANBUS communication. That's just how it was designed, there's no way around it. The controller doesn't just use CANBUS for the EVIC display, it also uses it to factor in conditions like ABS, traction control, and trailer sway control. It's integration offers a higher degree of sophistication over aftermarket controllers that just have a brake switch input and some inertial sensors. It also uses CANBUS for simple things like dimming the display when the lights are on. Some aftermarket controllers offered features not available on the OEM controller, like controls for electric-over-hydraulic brakes. The 2012 and newer controllers have added some of these features.

The trucks computer has no way of knowing if an aftermarket controller is added, because the aftermarket controllers don't use CANBUS.

I'm not basing anything I said on assumptions. I'm basing what I said on experience

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95420
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM

There you go...exactly the kind of definitive info I was looking for. Like I said in the other long running mega-thread started by Netman66, it would be nice if all these brake controller threads were integrated into one location. What you're saying about the factory controller indeed makes it a very different animal...much more sophisticated. While I'm happy with a good, quality aftermarket controller, some of those additional features you mention are impressive...apparently much more than just an EVIC readout. Thanks for the info.