DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default 4th gen mech fan delete and efan question

Some of us are removing the mechanical fan and using tuners to adjust the oem electric fan settings to use that as the primary cooling fan. My superchips (and I think the diablo's are the same) provide for basically an "ON" and "OFF" setting. In other words they provide a 1 speed fan.

I was looking through the 2009 service manual that I have, and just happened to see that it lists a "low speed electric fan relay" and a "high speed electric fan relay".

Does this mean it's a two speed fan? If so, could I use an aftermarket controller to wire it up to have full control over both speeds? And if I did use an after market controller, could I leave the stock wiring also in tact to allow the efan to turn on with the AC compressor as is normal?

I'm not having any cooling issues but wouldn't mind full control over two fan speeds. The SC only allows an "ON" adjustment, and no "OFF" adjustment, so it has to drop 6 deg before turning off. I'd prefer to have full adjustment in smaller increments over two speeds.

Any input appreciated! Thanks!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The fan is a 3 wire fan with a ground, High speed and Low speed wires.
Ground - Black
High - Dark Green / Dark Blue
Low - Dark Blue / Dark Green

High speed is generally a function of the coolant temperature. Low speed is triggered by the AC circuit. When you call for AC, the fan runs on low until the coolant temp rises enough to ask for high speed. The SC unit only affect the later of the 2.

Because this is all part of the main program coding in the TIPM, I am not confident that there is any easy way of using the low speed for other than the AC circuit.

But I'm sure an aftermarket option could be invented to do what you want. I would be a good idea if it held true to the requirement for the AC to get low fan on demand. If you know a good electronics person and are willing to ginny pig your truck.......

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks for the response Darb...

I'm no good with electronics and don't know anyone who really is.

See IIRC the fan sounds the same with the AC on vs. when the coolant gets hot enough to turn it on. So I wasn't sure if it was running on low or high. IIRC superchips said it was a one speed fan, but it doesn't appear to be. Is there a way to confirm that it's running on high when the coolant temp makes it kick on?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

When I checked mine, there was a 'slight' difference in the speed/sound of the fan. I kicked o the AC and pulled the high speed relay, and the fan kept running. After the truck was sitting idling (during last summer) with the AC on, I did notice the fan bump up a notch. I turned of the AC, and the fan kept running. When I pulled the high speed relay this time, the fan stopped running and the truck threw a code. Can't remember the code, it was awhile back, but I recall it made sense for what I had done.

I plan to look at this more this summer, as I am considering a mechanical fan delete to squeeze an extra HP. Although we don't get super hot weather here for lengthy periods, I do a lot of towing, so am unsure if the electric fan can keep up....so am looking at the V6 fan mod.

If I come across any items of significant value I will let you know. It would be nice to have the low speed come on first, followed by the high speed if the extra cooling was required.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks that'd be great. Good call on the relay's, I'm going to pull the low speed relay and see if my fan still comes on.

I'm still unsure if the v6 fan actually moves more air than the stock fan, they look nearly identical to me, except the v6 fan saves space. I'd like someone to figure it out though, would be nice to know. My truck runs about 10-15 deg F cooler with the 180 tstat(when I tested it it was more like a 185 deg F tstat actually) and mech fan delete (SC to adjust settings of the efan). When I had stock tstat it ran probably a couple degrees cooler.