DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express Regular Cab
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Kooker is on a distinguished road
Default HID Problems....work fine when engine is off, but not when on

Okay, I just installed my HID's into my 2012 Ram Express. Before the engine is turned on they look amazing, beautiful, no problems, but when I turn the key they stay good for 3 seconds and then BAMMM...Flickeringggg. So much that there's barely any light. I Have no clue what the problem is. I have a resistor for each side, ballast and brand new bulbs. Like I said they work perfect before the engine is turned on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really frustrated right now because these damn headlights are a B I T C H to get off.
De-Badge, Blacked-out Grill and Tailgate Badges, Blacked-out Headlights and Taillights, Sublime Green G2 Caliper's, Retro-Solution 35w 8,000k HIDs, LED: (Tag Lights, Reverse Lights, Interior Lights), Ground Force 2" Rear Drop, 22" KMC Slide
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

How do you have the ballast hooked up? What type of resistor are you using and were is it connected between in on? You need to give specific details of the connection to include wiring diagrams if it's very complex in order for us to eliminate this being a 6 page question and answer post.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 PM

H13. Resistor I believe is 50W. From the bulb, there's three prongs (black, small red, big red). Those were plugged into the factory plug (green) for the regular halogen bulb in the following order: (small red left, black middle, big red right). Resistor is on the right pictured in gold (which was mounted on metal, not plastic)

De-Badge, Blacked-out Grill and Tailgate Badges, Blacked-out Headlights and Taillights, Sublime Green G2 Caliper's, Retro-Solution 35w 8,000k HIDs, LED: (Tag Lights, Reverse Lights, Interior Lights), Ground Force 2" Rear Drop, 22" KMC Slide
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Does the truck have Daytime Running Lights??? Once you take out the lights, don't put them back in until you have this fixed. LOL Yes they are a pain in the rear.

Okay, still little confused with the wiring. There should be a red and black going from your factory harness green plug(low beam center and right) into the ballast. Then with a BiXenon HID bulb I'm going to assume the small red wire which is driving some form of switch on the bulb which will have to go to the high beam wire on that same green plug(left side). I can't see the factory plug connection in the picture.

For now let's concentrate on lows and tape off the little red wire until you have steady light signal. Unplug the little wire and just use ballast connection to factory connector. Does this work properly on low beam with truck off and running. YOu want to use the large red and black that go into the ballast with the resistor on them and use the center and right pin on the green plug on your truck(as you are looking at pins) my low has a green stripe on wire.
If the truck is flickering with just low's hooked up and the resistor in line then I would ensure the resistor is on the positive lead from low to ballast. If it is then you need to try a relay harness. You can buy one, or go to RS and get a 20A automotive relay run a + wire from battery to the ballast with the relay in-line and use the signal from truck green plug to solenoid of relay to turn it on. My truck works great with low beams while running and just battery power with wiring harness set with low driving the relay on the harness no flickering at all. It's the high beam output on mine that was problem. If you use the relay keep the resistors, as they should eliminate any errors your system was seeing.

Here is link to various harness set-ups so you can get the idea about running the relays for power.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...s-amp-Examples
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 AM

What brand of HID kit do you have and did you order resistor harness from same place, so I can go see how they have it set up. SOmething in you pic doesn't look correct to me. I see a connector plugged into the connection with the resistor on it where the green truck plug should be connected(what is that?) Also I see a black wire coming from the bulb along with the small red one. That is likely the ground for high beam function. Hence why I need the manufacturer so I can get more detail as to what they have going on here.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Ya if you have hid's your better off not using the daytime running feature but get a harness like this and you wont need separate resistors or cancelers they are a pita this is plug and play and BAM you wont have any problems i just hope to god you did not order from DDM

Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM

I'm not going to be home until tonight. When I get home I'll take some better pictures and include some more information. I bought the HID kit from a local company here in orlando. Not sure what the HID manufacturer is because they are more of a distributor, not the manufacturer. I previously owned a 03 ram and installed a plug and play HID kit with no problems. It lasted for a year and a half and it was only 60 bucks so I was happy with that. These newer trucks are a pain in the ass to get lights working. And the reason why I was installing them myself, is #1 I didn't want this place messing up my truck due to the fact that they are trying to install things "fast" and not really paying attention to things like I would. Secondly, they had no spots open for installation for a good 2 hours so I wasn't trying to wait.

.....Oh and I have the automatic setting on, so no I don't use daytime running lights...

Last edited by Kooker; 03-15-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Metalic Gray
Rep:13
Bergees is on a distinguished road

I am having the same type of issues...

I am trying to install Xtreme HID headlights in my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500.
With the engine off I can get all four lamps to work i.e. HI/LO.

With the engine on only the right side lights up and the low beam flickers. I installed a capacitor then the left side lit up for 5 seconds then flashed on/off every second until the capacitor on the right side BLEW.

That’s when I gave up L

Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
ShiftJockey is on a distinguished road

Do either of you guys run any form of resistor pack plugged into the passenger headlight connector? HIDs gave me fits until I used this:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=238
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Metalic Gray
Rep:13
Bergees is on a distinguished road

Yes. Resistors and capacitors on both sides