DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Best tires for all season....

75K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Bodul67 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7L Hemi Qd Cab. I have the optional 20" wheels. I was wondering what others have to say about new tires to replace the stock GoodYear tires. I know, I have looked around on the net, but was wondering about real people and their experiences.

#2 ·
I have used BFGoodrich AT on my last two trucks and have had great results. They do good off-road and great in the snow, along with good treadwear. I am thinking of trying General Grabber ATs this time around, they are close to the BFG ATs tread pattern and have had good reviews.

#6 ·
I heard that the General Grabbers AT sidewalls were very flimsy, they give a lot when you turn so you get some scares on highway ramps and such. I don't have personal experience with this so its just something I have heard.

#5 ·
Hello DodgeRamMan71,

Tire distribution is my line of work and I distribute all major brands. My company does not sell to the public. We sell direct to the big-box, independent, and car dealer channel. I consider myself a tire expert. Started selling tires retail in 1993 and have been wholesaling since 2000.

The OE GY HP Wranglers ride quite and smooth...Other than that, they are mediocre tires. I took them off after 9,000 miles.

Not sure how much snow you get up there but if your winters are light to medium you will be better served with an all terrain tread. Assuming that you have the o/e 275/60R20 tire size, Michelin AT2, Bridgestone Dueller AT REVO, and Nitto Terra Grapplers are some of my favorite tires in an all terrain tread for these trucks.

BFG makes a new tire in this size that looks great too. It's called the Rugged Terrain T/A. If it's anything like it's older brother, the KO T/A you will get your monies worth for sure. For the record BFG is made by Michelin, and Nitto is made by Toyo in Japan.

I ride on the 275/60R20 Michelin LTX M/S 2...Don't need the all terrain down here. Couldn't be happier with them.

Hope this help!

NZ

#10 ·
Mr Nester, I wonder if you or any one else can answer a couple of questions when I have asked this elsewhere I have I have had answers which are to complicated for my simple brain. I have the LTX M/S2 the same as you. I would like to know the tire rating for towing will they take the weight my truck is supposed be able to tow which about 9,000 lb and is the max tire pressure for these tires 50 lb

#9 ·
I don't have them, but I've heard absolutely nothing but good things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers and plan to get them sometime. My Michelin LTX's are holding up excellent, but in 2wd I get stuck in wet grass, 4wd, haven't been stuck yet, even in some snow. Anyone got any reviews on the Wragler Silent Armours with the Kevlar?

#11 ·
I had the GY Silent Armours on my '04 Ford. They were pretty good, but I sold the truck before they were wore out. Compared to the BFG rugged trails that were stock and wore out after 30,000km or the GY wranglers that were like slicks in the rain and wore out after 40,000km, the silent armours were excellent. I would consider them again, but they were pricey though....

#13 ·
Update....

I ended up buying the GoodYear Wrangler SilentArmor. I got them yesterday 03/28/2012. I have not had a chance to take them off road, or in mud yet, but I plan to when the opportunity arises,lol. So far, so good. They do make a bit more sound/noise, but in all fairness, they are A LOT more aggressive than OE Wrangler HP's. They seem to ride very good and I like the way they look. The icing on the cake is that they are Made in USA. To me that is very important!!!:smileup:
What sold me on them was I went on youtube and looked up GY silentarmor and found a Jeep liberty that had them on and it was plowing through what looked like 1-2 foot of snow, like it was nothing,lol.

Attachments

#15 ·
I have the silent armor tires on my 13 outdoorsman I am not that impressed so far, I don't like the way they handle on road and towing, the handling response is poor they make the truck feel loose, I havent had a tire that feels this way since Interco tsl thornbirds. they are E rated tires but do not seem to have a very stiff sidewall. I tried out 2 outdoorsman models one with the 20s and the one I bought with the 17s, I must say the one with the 20s hauled my camper better and handled better empty, I like the one I chose but looking forward to new tires.Has anyone heard anything about Hercules terra trac a/t tires?

#16 ·
I just put E-rated Michelin LTX A/T2 275 65R 20'S on my truck and absolutely love them. Night and day from the stock goodyear SRA's. I was lucky enough to get $600 for these on trade. I haven't towed my travel trailer yet, but these tires transformed my truck. They do have a stiffer ride but way better sidewall construction, cornering is excellent. Can't wait to tow now. 63, 000 mile warranty. Nice medium-aggressive tread, I think they will be excellent for winter.

#17 ·
I am going to try out the Cooper Discoverer HTP's to replace my OE Goodyear HP's. I had a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my 2010 Armada 4x4 and those things were all around great! Especially on wet pavement.

#19 ·
Hankook Dynapro ATM's, better than the GY oem's. Not bad, I'm sure not the best either.

#22 ·
Hey there, too be honest, I don't think they will affect the front end really, the quality of the tire is evident compared to the stock tires, they balance out better and the ride quality is noticeable even though the ride is more firm, time will tell, but if I had to bet, I would think they would make no difference.