DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
Exxzaust is on a distinguished road
Default Adding Block Heater

Hello all I am from BC Canada,I bought an American truck and im going to the north for work where it get very very cold. I need to install a block heater, how hard is it? And whats a good price for one and a good place to look? any info would be great as this needs to be done asap! If a shop does it will it only take an hour of labour?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxzaust View Post
Hello all I am from BC Canada,I bought an American truck and im going to the north for work where it get very very cold. I need to install a block heater, how hard is it? And whats a good price for one and a good place to look? any info would be great as this needs to be done asap! If a shop does it will it only take an hour of labour?
This is what you need.

Pricing could be more in canada, the prices listed are US$, Also if you ship it to canada they might not, or it will cost at lest 25$ or so + GST + Duties. And if its shipped by UPS add another 60$.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...roduct=4493985

Time to install, its about 1 hr to 1 1/2hr's, time to lift truck, empty the coolant, pull plug, insert unit, bolt up, pass wire to front of truck, tie wrap it, then refill coolant, run engine to make sure coolant is good. Check to give the seller your vin number to confirm that this would be the exact
part you need and if you need anything else.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Do an oilpan heater instead.
Way easier to install,and gives you more benefit then a block heater.
It's not the cold pistons sliding in the cold block that makes the engine hard to start,it's the thick sludge the oil turns into,that the crank has to spin through,and the oilpump has to try to pump that makes the engine hard to start.
I run oilpan heaters on my winter DD's,and very seldom use the block heater.
Side benefit to an oilpan heater is it's cheaper to run,as the average block heater is around 750 watts compared to an oilpan heater at usually less then 200 watts
Old 10-21-2013, 02:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodoge Ram SXT
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Brick Red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Slyte08SXT is on a distinguished road

im in fairbanks ak, i did the oil pan heater pad, trans pan heater pad, battery heater and the block heater, pretty easy to do them all, not sure how cold youre planing to get but it gets down to -60F and below here and thats what recommended by everyone here