DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
jprevette is on a distinguished road
Default 318 heads

I'm looking into getting new heads for my truck (1996) and want to know witch ones flow the best and what you recommend.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprevette View Post
I'm looking into getting new heads for my truck (1996) and want to know witch ones flow the best and what you recommend.
I recommend either Indy X RHS heads or Edelbrock heads, of the two I would go with Indy X because they're cast iron and cast iron is a little more durable especially if you overheat the engine. The reason for those two is because in the magnum heads chrysler designed the push rod guides to be partially in the intake port which obstructs air flow, the indy heads as well as the edel brocks have redesigned the ports for maximum flow, of course you can port them more and smooth out the walls to reduce turbulance. One issue with the edelbrock heads is the combustion chamber size is smaller for more compression however because they're smaller you might have valve clearance problems with the piston if you have a lift over .5" even if it's less I prefer to have more clearance for expansion etc...

The RHS heads are also affordable compared to the 700 a piece edel brocks. For one edelbrock you can buy a pair of RHS's with the valve train installed. If you are looking for all out performance, increase the lift most of all in these engines, they have poor lift especially the 360 my god... The cam in the 318 is a very good cam, however I would try to get some more overlap which would not only make a sweet sounding engine but have great performance, because you won't have EGR (1996 no EGR) then the larger overlap will have a EGR effect to keep combustion temps down. I also would change out the intake manifold as well, one that has less plenum volume for more HP and RPM's.

Next on the agenda would be a M/P ECM. I also would recommend you get headers of course, I like the pacesetters but the shorty headers Holley sells are sweet. Don't use header wrap, it doesn't help when it's on a pickup truck, header wrap can also cause the headers to get to hot and cause them to crack and header wrap voids most companies warranty.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Both the Indy and Edelbrock heads offer high flow capability to make over 500hp. However, unless you're planning on totally revamping the engine, that much flow would be wasted. Box stock Magnums flow enough for 400hp at 6000rpm. The rest of the engine won't be up to the task. Mopar also offers improved Magnum heads, albeit not as high performance as the others, but still better than stock, and less prone to cracking. The Edelbrock heads are a different situation (Its all in what you want and what you're willing to pay). Being aluminum, the Eddys are gonna cost more. For that cost you get heads that are about 20lb lighter each. The smaller combustion chambers mean even more quench than standard Magnums, so there's even more detonation resistance. The smaller chambers do increase compression, but this is a common practice with aluminum heads. Since aluminum dissipates heat faster than cast iron you can typically get away with approximately a full point more compression, all else being equal. The smaller chambers do not affect valve clearance. Mopar smallblocks open their valves on the centerline, just as they have since the 60's. If you get such a high lift cam that you have interference issues, you get pistons with machined-in valve reliefs. This is the case with any head; stock, Indy, or Edelbrock. You won't be running something like that without serious computer mods, not to mention other things.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 04-12-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:10
jprevette is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys i really appreciate yalls opinions with this but I'm lookin for about 450hp and would like to know the best way to get that with out dropping 12k or somethin crazy into it is there a way to increase the flow of the stock heads with out hurtinhg the airspeed going into the cylinder and hurting the power.

Also what type of cylinders, rods, crank,pushrods and such would you recommend?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough
Unhappy

Okay, 450hp on a Magnum 318 will take some doin'. A blower-friendly cam upgrade and a supercharger. 7psi with stock heads, aftermarket cam, and otherwise stock block would get you there. Some mild cleanup porting of the heads would help some. Doing it without a blower is considerably more work because it's the nature of the beast. A naturally aspirated 318 might displace 290 cubes, figuring a real-world 90% volumetric efficiency. A supercharged 318 at 7psi equals about 450 cubes because it's operating at approximately 150%volumetric efficiency. A blower costs a lot, but add up all you'll need to do without a blower to make equal power and it's no cheaper that way. Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a 400hp 318. It was their Junkyard Jewel series. This was around 2005. With low-bucking it in mind, they did their own head porting, and it still cost 2 grand to hit 400hp with a carbureted engine (far easier- no computer hoops to jump through). Power costs money. That being said I'd get an extreme energy cam from Comp Cams, the Hughes Rpm AirGap, have some stock heads ported, add thicker-walled pushrods to resist flex from the bigger cam, and be prepared for some serious tuning on that computer. Engine bottom end is good to 6000 rpm and stock pistons will tolerate usually up to around 9psi. If I were running a lot of high rpms (I mean racing a lot) I'd replace the rod and crank bolts with ARP bolts.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 04-13-2012 at 01:04 AM.