DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:388
E.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really nice
Default eFan SWAP AND CLUTCH FAN DELETE

eFan SWAP AND CLUTCH FAN DELETE
Since I now have a tuned PCM that kicks on the fan at 180 I went ahead a pulled off the clutch fan and replaced my stock eFan with the v6 fan. It is a LOT bigger and is completely plug and play. So far it works like a champ! Keeps the motor right at 181. It creeps up when you are parked but when it kicks into high speed the temp takes a nose dive! I also have a 180 tstat so everything comes on at 180ish. It was super simple and took Tim and I less than 5 minutes to do once we knew what we are doing. lol.

(new fan on the right next to stock fan for size comparison)
Tools needed:
flathead screwdriver
wrench
13mm socket
butter(for Tim lol)
Step 1:
Disconncect the battery
Step 2:
Take off the shroud and disconnect the wire on the driver top side of the radiator
Step 3:
From underneath the truck take off the lower shroud and the bottom of the stock eFan shroud

Step 4:
Put a screwdriver in the pulley to keep it from turning and use a wrench to turn the nut on the fan shaft clockwise until loose. Remember to keep the fan standing up when you are storing it

Step 5:
While you are underneath the truck remove the metal tab clip that connects the fan to the radiator.
Step 6:
Remove the two bolts on the top of the shroud(one on each side) and pull the shroud out the top.
Step 7:
Remove the metal clip on the top of the fan and radiator and remove the fan. It has pressure clips holding it on now
Step 8:
Drop the new fan in and bolt it up. When we were attaching the wire harness back it would not fit at all. Tims solution was butter! lmao. Well it worked with a little elbow grease.

Before:

After:

This fan is a beast! Like I said earlier so far it keeps everything really cool and it is amazing how fast the temp drops when it kicks into high speed! I got a OEM reproduction for less than a 150 dollars and it's completely plug and play for us 4th gen hemi guys!

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87541
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 2wd express rcsb
Trim Level: express
Color: black clear coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jlibert is on a distinguished road

This is the only mod I'm seriously looking into. I've read mixed reviews as to how it would perform with stock tuning and a stock thermostat. Thanks for the write up and pics -- very helpful.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Awesome!

Just wondering, I've been trying to find this out for a while - is the fan actually larger? And does it actually pull more air? It appears to be the same fan to me, just the difference in shroud.

Also, I assume you tuned your pcm swap with a diablo? I have mine tuned with a SC and I only have 1 fan speed, not two. Just looking for more info on this if you don't mind. Thanks! It looks really clean! Reps

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM

E.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
This is the only mod I'm seriously looking into. I've read mixed reviews as to how it would perform with stock tuning and a stock thermostat. Thanks for the write up and pics -- very helpful.
I don't have a stock tune or a stock tstat so I really couldn't speak on that side. I can tell you this fan does the job...well! As always, if you have any questions just ask. Me or someone here is always glad to help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Awesome!

Just wondering, I've been trying to find this out for a while - is the fan actually larger? And does it actually pull more air? It appears to be the same fan to me, just the difference in shroud.

Also, I assume you tuned your pcm swap with a diablo? I have mine tuned with a SC and I only have 1 fan speed, not two. Just looking for more info on this if you don't mind. Thanks! It looks really clean! Reps
It is noticably larger. I tried to show that in the first pic but here is another. The stock fan is on the top. It was difficult to stack them to show a size difference but it is there!

I have a 2011 so no tuner but we installed a B&G tuned PCM at the same time we did the fan.

The differences so far(keep in mind it's been less than 48 hours):smaller shroud, cleaner look, etc. When I had the stock setup my 180 tstat kept my truck around 183 for the most part but it would get hot at idle and under wot. Now that I have swapped the efan and taken off the clutch fan with the new PCM I run between 177-181. At idle it can creep up. My high speed setting is at 203 and you know when it kicks on. You can literally watch the temp go down almost a degree every second or two. It is amazing how much air this thing moves.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info. I wonder what speed my single setting adjustment on the SC adjusts (high or low speed)?

My fan sounds the same when the AC compressor is on and when the fan kicks on (have it set around 200 deg) with my 180 tstat. Same as you, stays pretty cool (188-194) and when you aren't moving it creeps up to 200 then the fan kicks on. I wonder though if it's on "high" or "low". Does your "low" sound the same as when the AC is on?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM

I think so and here is the reason why...

We put one in Tim's(916Timmy) truck right after mine. After the test drive we were sitting in his driveway with the ac on so the fan was running and the temp was creeping up. Once it hit 203 it went shooting back down. The same thing happened to me in the drive thru. My ac was on and the temp crept up and when it hit 203 it got louder and the temp instantly dropped.

That leads me to believe my low setting is 180 or if ac is on and my high setting is 203. The high setting works like a champ but I don't know how having just a high setting would work. It cools too well so it would constantly be kicking in and out. I would change it to a two stage if you can...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Ok thanks for the info. I'm thinking I may end up getting an aftermarket controller at some point to run both speeds and dial it in. I've had no issues what so ever with how it's currently set up, but I'd like "full control" and the ability to use both speeds.

I do like the idea of removing the GIANT fan shroud lol...maybe one day I'll make the swap.

I find it interesting that with your 180 tstat you stay around 180 deg. With my 180 tstat (I know it's a different engine...but whatever) I stay around 190 deg. I tested my tstat before install and it seemed more like a 185 deg tstat, it cracked open closer to like 185-190, not 180.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Could you measure your new fan for me? I'm kinda curious if this will fit into a 3rd gen.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM

I think I just got a good tstat. Mine and Tim's are the same brand but mine would run about 2-3 degrees cooler. Keep in mind that I installed the tstat late last year so it was pretty cold outside. Also, it would stay at that temp as long as I was moving. He has a predator and it allows dual fan tuning. I guess the SC doesn't? Or maybe that's a 4.7 thing?

The fan was really cheap. Parts geek for 125 shipped. I wasn't complaining at all!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
Could you measure your new fan for me? I'm kinda curious if this will fit into a 3rd gen.
I'm about to be hitting the road for the weekend so I will but it may be Monday before I can. I would think that it would fit, but not without modifications since this is a OEM reproduction fan of the stock V6 fan in the 4th gen rams. I'll give you an answer asap