DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:388
E.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really nice
Default 4th gen PCM swap

PCM SWAP

I just got in my B&G tuned PCM and I am loving how easy the swap is! For us 2011 guys we don't have any tuning options. What B&G does is you send them a 2010 PCM and your VIN number and current mods and they will flash this computer to your truck. They adjust the PCM to get you close to tunes. Obviously this isn't something that you can change with a push of a button but I will tell you the differences are extremely evident!!! You still can't use a handheld tuner to tune, but you can use it to datalog if you wanted. Here is the steps...

Tools needed:
phillips screwdriver
flathead screwdriver
socket set

Step 1:
As always disconnect the battery. Distribution block uses an allen wrench but most of you will need a socket wrench for this. If I remember right it is 8mm?

Step 2:
Remove your intake. Remember to disconnect the sensor

Step 3:
Remove the PCM. The wires are color coded so no worries about messing up. It has 3 screws that you can use a socket on or a phillips head screwdriver.

Step 4:
Install the new PCM and put everything back on

I have only driven this around for a couple days now so it's still new. So far I had a couple hiccups the first night and had to disconnect my battery one time but other than that I am in love with my truck all over again. With my mods my stock PCM'd truck would dip and surge at 3500. That is gone! The rev limiter is gone, the fan comes on at 180 now, speed limiter is raised, shifts smooth but not hard, and it's noticably faster. The computer is stil learning so it will surely get better. Stay tuned to this thread because I will be updating it for you guys considering doing this as well...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87541
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 2wd express rcsb
Trim Level: express
Color: black clear coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jlibert is on a distinguished road

great post and write up. Would this work on a 2012?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

What happens if someone with a 2011/2012 does this,
then needs to take their truck in for service/warranty work and the dealer needs to plug their starscan into the OBDII?

Dont you need to keep a spare stock PCM on hand for that?
...is it possible to have two PCM's or can you only have one PCM locked to your VIN number at a time?

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM

E.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really nice

I bought a 2010 PCM on eBay and had it flashed to my truck. My stock PCM still works normally. Whenever I am going to have to take it in for service I will just swap out and put the stock one back in.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:69
ramrt1993 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for info! I'm really considering this as well, ever since I got my longtubes, my truck surges at low RPMs and makes strange exhaust noise right before downshifting. So you have to buy the PCM from a dodge dealer? Or does B&G supply the PCM? How much is the final cost when it's all done? And will you ever be able to use a handheld tuner on it?
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune
Old 03-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Badass
Color: Silver
Rep:19
03lowram is on a distinguished road

Ya more info please, Im about to throw headers on and a 28-3000 stall in my ram. Already have Corsa 3" exhaust, Volant, and Fastman Throttle body.

Maybe a link to the website where you got the PCM? What was the turn around time..
Did the dealership have to flash the new PCM to work with your VIN?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Sorry, I should have included more info on the PCM itself. When I went searching for a PCM I found 3 different ones that all said they would fit a 2010. I called a reman computer vendor and they said they needed a VIN to match me with my specific one. Since I didn't have a VIN that would match a 2010 I bought the most expensive one and it worked. lol. The part number is 05150500AA. Since you don't need a remanufactured and flashed PCM I bought one used on ebay. You could check ebay or a local junk yard. I ended up buying mine for 185 where as the online PCM dealers I found wanted 375+ and in many instances a core charge. I sent it into B&G with my VIN and mods. They will look up by VIN and flash your keys to it(the two original keys anyway, I'm not sure on extras). It was same day turnaround on their end and the total cost was 350 for the flash. The guy there is busy and kinda quick on the phone but helpful at the same time if that makes any sense. I have absolutely NO complaints about him or his work to this point. I didn't have to involve my dealer at all. My truck seemed to be two different motors. One from idle to 3500rpm, and another past that. It sounds like we shared the same issues. That is gone. Nice, smooth rpm curve. Without the clutch fan it revs quickly and seems to be more effortless. Overall I am very happy about my mods and if I continue to be happy then I will be doing some more intense motor work. I just wanted to check this out first. Anything I left out just ask, I'll do my best to answer...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Rep:63
Blue Streak will become famous soon enough

This is great!! I knew B&G were tunning the 392's. This will be my next mod
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

It does run differently....the switch around 31-3500 is the active manifold. The tuning on the B&G is a much smoother transition. Those big free flowing exhausts don't like the low RPM end of the manifold without tuning.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:69
ramrt1993 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916Timmy View Post
It does run differently....the switch around 31-3500 is the active manifold. The tuning on the B&G is a much smoother transition. Those big free flowing exhausts don't like the low RPM end of the manifold without tuning.
That explains why my truck feels like a dog in low RPMs..I assumed that was torque management..cause at around 3,500 RPMs it pulls really hard.
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune