DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Ram R/T

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
JBassRN is on a distinguished road
Default Console

Spingfield XD subcompact .40 in 2011 Ram Console
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize 3.jpg (86.8 KB, 60 views)
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:21
TheAverageJoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TheAverageJoe

I just got the Gum Creek Customs truck rig. I'm impressed, but not impressed.
First off, I drive a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. I carry a Colt 1911 Defender in .45acp.
I've had my HCP since 2001 and I am a native Tennessean.
This rig with probably remain empty as I plan on using it as a transfer from my IWB for easier access while in transit and then placing the pistol back into my IWB when I park and get out.
(The pistol pictured is a RIA .45acp G.I with 3.5" barrel - same dimensions as a Defender).
The sizing chart at Gum Greek specifies a size 34 for my pistol. That didn't work to well. The holster was too small. Had to drop by the local gunsmith and pick up a Black Hawk for an extra $20.
This thing is a bear to get tight. Lots of adjusting and readjusting.
My Ram required the necktie adapter. I highly recommend getting that piece.
My concern is, although the mount is secure and steady, will the holster sway or swing during travel. I don't want it vibrating or slinging loose into the floor board.
Anybody experience this problem.
I don't know how things are going to work out as I just installed and haven't driven anywhere to see how my pistol is going to ride.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
SafetyMan is on a distinguished road

IF you have a CCW, CHL, CCP, CPL or whatever your state calls a license to carry concealed, you know the rules and what to ask as far as reciprocity, so I'm not going to preach on that.

I do not believe in stowing it inside the console, behind the console, or anywhere else you may have to make an unnatural move to retrieve it in an emergency. INCLUDING in the door pocket or under the steering wheel.

I grew up in the 5th worst neighborhood in the US, according to the latest information. I have seen carjackings, robbery, murder, assult, you name it.

I don't want to have to reach inside my jacket under my belt while seated with a seatbelt on to try to untangle my 9mm from my shirt... not enough time when shit hits the fan.

When the bad guy comes up to your door, he isn't going to wait for you to unlock the center console to get your firearm, which probably doesn't have one in the chamber either.... nor is he going to permit any unnatural moves, like leaning over to reach behind the console.

He will permit you, however, to reach for your seatbelt.

Which is why I carry my handguns cocked, locked and ready to rock, in this position, whether it's one of my revolvers, which it oftentimes is my .357, or this Kimber 1911 .45, or my 9... Well, the revolvers are DA's, so they're not cocked... Point is, all I have to do is draw and squeeze the trigger.... There is usually another in my pocket or IWB. I like to carry my Ruger LC9 IWB because it is comfortable, so the Kimber will get locked away when I get out of the truck.

I have had it wedged between the seat of many vehicle for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues. I have thought about adding velcro to hold it in place, but never had one slip, so haven't done it yet. Granted, this '14 RAM is brand new, so there may be a curve there.

This is simply 2 cents from a guy that grew up in the ghetto, was a member of the Sheriff's Department for a couple of years, and has held a Concealed Carry License for a lot of years...

Last edited by SafetyMan; 12-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.