DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2012 Uconnect update for streaming audio

53K views 113 replies 25 participants last post by  kabage66 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let me know if there's a different place to put this, ok.
I told you that I would let you know when the 2012 Uconnect SW update was released. The dealers received it today. The TSB # is 08-018-12. Below is just the highlight of the TSB. This TSB is for the 2012 vehicles built prior to 1-1-2012 and have the following radios (RES,REQ,RHB,RBZ) and have the Uconnect system. This update has nothing to do with the radio, only the external UC module.
OK, so now you're wondering "can I do the update or do I have to take it to the dealer. Give me a couple days to work on this, I do have the file but I need to call a couple of the dealers to see if they can find it in their STAR system. Once I can confirm that they have it (but probably don't know what to do, even though the procedures will be the same as the TSB from last year and some dealers still claim there is no such TSB) Then I should be able to help further.
Stay tuned.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer satisfaction enhancements are included with this software release:
NOTE: After the HFM has been updated it will receive these enhancements.
· Reduced “Device Reading” wait time after connecting a device to the remote USB
port.
· Call / Dial separation improves upon names being recognized as phone numbers.
· Improved sound quality during Bluetooth streaming.
· Increased iPod and iPhone compatibility.
· SMS messaging support via MAP protocol (not all phones support the MAP
protocol).
· Added “None of These” and “Correction” to the phone book prompt menu for better
handling of similar names.
· Previous button will return the song currently being played to the beginning of the
track.
· AirPlay feature “Dock Connector” no longer needs to be manually selected on Apple
devices. This will resolve the “No Audio” condition when the device is connected to
the remote USB port and dock connector is not selected.
NOTE: USB mode resume will no longer 'resume' after ignition OFF

For those with the Iphone 4s, SIRI will not work with the Uconnect system after this update. The reason is the Chrysler had some features changed. (1 of these features Apple rode on to support SIRI) These features were changed in late 2010 and the SW was tested on the phones that were available at that time. The SW was again tested in June of 2011 again with more phones that were available at that time. Chrysler ok'd the SW at that time to start the production of the Uconnect modules. Most of the phone manufactures have and NDA ( this is a legal document known as a "Non Disclosure Application") signed by the suppliers and the phone manufacturer. They will sometime send new prototypes to be tested by the Uconnect supplier. If there are issues, then they both work together to find the fix. Apple does not do this at all, so the only Apple products that can be tested while the Supplier is writing the SW is with the device and its SW that is available at that time. Apple did not come out with the Iphone 4s until October of 2011 which was after the Uconnect modules were built and started to be shipped.
You may ask, "well why did it work in my 2011 or my V1 2012 vehicle. The features & SW were still being worked on for the 2012 vehicles and were not ready to be built for the V1 2012 vehicles, so the V1 was still using the features of the 2011 Uconnect system and the real 2012 Uconnect SW came into play with the V2 vehicle builds. Apple has been notified of this issue more than 4 months ago, so now it's a waiting game to see what they do now.

See less See more
#6 ·
What about cell phone compatibility updates? I can't believe my Samsung SGSII, probably the most popular phone AT$T and others have right now, is not on the current list of compatible phones. Would really like to be able to download my phonebook to the truck.:doh:

Is there a way to find out if this TSB has already been done to my truck? I just got it on 3/9, but I don't trust my dealer to be on top of stuff like this.

#7 ·
The list of compatible phones is not a complete list

Just because your phone is not on the list, it just has not been tested by them

My phone is not on the list & works great
i recently d/l the new upgrade & now the phone book is working almost 100%
it never did before the upgrade

#8 ·
My phone works fine except for when I try to download my phonebook it says not compatible. That's why I want to know how to find out if I have this latest update or not. When you say you downloaded the latest update, what exactly do you mean? You did it yourself?:4-dontknow:

#10 ·
There are several different Galaxy S2 phones. Which network are you on? The PB should DL automatically with each ignition key cycle as well as the initial pairing. At the original pairing did you select "Always" & "accept" when the request to DL your PB came up.
Are your contacts linked to the local PB, SIM card, Google, Active Sync or any other account?
You mentioned "trying to DL them". Are you trying to give a VR command to DL the PB?
This info will help to further assist you.

#11 ·
As I said, I'm on AT$T. When I first paired the phone with the truck there was a process for downloading the PB that when I tried to follow it I was given a "Phone not compatible" error message. That's when I checked the website and saw my phone was not on the list. Strange thing is yesterday I tried to access the PB in the truck and it worked just fine, so I guess it is actually working as it should. One issue I do have is that if I have a contact with a Home Fax or Work Fax entry and I say "call so-and-so at Home or Work" it will dial the Home or Work Fax number instead of the Home or Work number.:smiledown:

Since the 430N is capable of displaying album artwork for CDs and digital music files should it not also display photos on incoming calls for contacts that have them? That would be a nice feature!

#12 ·
OK, I missed the ATT part. So the way this works is that the PB will be downloaded each time that you get into the vehicle. Uconnect does this in case you have deleted or added contacts while away from the vehicle. It will then compare the stored file with the new file and if there are changes, then UC will toss the old and store the new.
Now, I am still a bit confused about where you say that the process for DLing the PB. Did you press the VR button and say "set up, phone book, download" and then the error message was said by the UC? If so then this would be a correct statement. The phone does not support down loading the PB from the SIM card.
The way it works with a SIM card phone (ATT & t Mobile) is that when you do the initial pairing of the phone and then the request to DL your PB shows on the phone, you select "always" & "accept or OK" then Uconnect will look at the local phonebook on the phone. If there is less than 20 contacts on the local PB, then Uconnect will look at the SIM card for contacts. If there are contacts on the SIM, then those will be downloaded only (the local contacts will not be DLed).
If there are no contacts on the SIM card, then Uconnect will DL what ever is on the local PB.
Now lets say that you have 12 contacts on the local PB and 25 on the SIM card, only the SIM will be DLed. In order to have the local contacts DLed, then you need to copy them to the SIM card.

Now for the contacts with the FAX #'s, I would look into the phones contact list to see how the numbers are stored into the phone.
Also the album artwork comes from a stored Grace notes library on the radio. Uconnect does not support incoming pictures or email.

#13 ·
Here's the link for the 2012 Uconnect SW update for vehicles built prior to 1-1-2012 and have either of the following radios:
RES, REQ, RBZ or the RHB

http://www.mediafire.com/?vedk6f30v84e95r

and the instructions are:

Download this file that I have on Mediafire onto a thumb drive and : Place this thumb drive in the USB connector mounted either in the glove box or the center console. Press & release the uconnect phone button and say “set up, software update”. You will start to hear some beeps. This process will take about 20 – 25 minutes. It’s a good size file. During the beeps, the radio screen will in an update mode, when the beeps are done and the screen goes back to the radio then the process should be complete. Just wait for a few seconds after the radio starts to play before removing the thumb drive. Turn the key off, open & close the driver’s door. Wait about 30 seconds then turn the key on. After radio powers up wait about 15 seconds, then press and hold the uconnect phone button for about 15 seconds, the radio will start to say a few options and then something like please attach usb….. And then there will be a software version that comes up on the screen. Should be 63.02.48 V: HS: d2 (or D1). When you see this, release the button, press and release it again. The radio will show the radio screen now.
You will also need to delete the current pairing of the phone to Uconnect and the Uconnect to the phone, then start the new pairing session.

#14 ·
question for this update. If you update the software, will the back-up camera display the lines on the screen?
As you know, the 2011s don't have it, but the 2012s do

#17 ·
To see the SW version of the Uconnect system:
After radio powers up wait about 15 seconds, then press and hold the uconnect phone button for about 15 seconds, the radio will start to say a few options and then something like please attach usb….. And then there will be a software version that comes up on the screen. Should be 63.02.48 V: HS: d2 (or D1). When you see this, release the button, press and release it again. The radio will show the radio screen now.

If you have the RHB or the RBZ radio then you can verify the SW version by:
pressing the menu button, select system set up then system information, I believe that the current sw version is like 30.xx.xx
As long as it's in the 30 ish range, then its current.

#20 ·
The update that is being talked about here is for 2012 vehicles only and will not work on a 2011. As of right now there is not an update that will make streaming audio quality better. However this does depend on the issues that you are having. Does the streaming audio work currently? Have you had the update for the 2011 vehicles done (I am assuming yours is a 2011 because that what is listed in your information box, top left of your post).

#19 ·
I apologize for not looking at this thread for a while
I should have clarified my post about the upgrade that i had done, it was a different radio & the newest upgrade for it. It was also for a phone book omission.

I will tell you, do NOT interrupt any d/l, you could lock up your radio, i did

When you start your d/l, have both keys or FOBs near to you, if not on your person. 20 or 30 minutes doesn't seem like a long time to stay close to your vehicle during a d/l. I had to go inside my apartment during the process, my RAM was on the street with the FOB in the ignition & where i live people walk by quite often, 2 stores are just around the corner. Leaving the ignition on is like handing someone the key & saying it is all yours.
Any way i left the CD in the player, took out the key & i returned about 10 minutes later. I turned the key back on & intended to resume the d/l, the radio was in lockup, i tried getting the CD to eject. I tried playing with the key, pushing every button on the radio, opening the doors, closing the doors, same with the windows. nothing worked until i put the Climate Control into the mix, i played with the key, turned on the blower fan, hit some buttons & the CD ejected !!!
I restarted the d/l, with the spare Fob in my pocket, using the spare FOB i locked the doors & let it run its course. Live & Learn .....................

#21 ·
It won't work for a 2010 either. I tried for a while trying to get it to work to no avail. But I will try again later next week becuase I have to take mine to the dealer to get a new radio anyway. For whatever reason mine will play DVDs but not CDs. It even installed an update via CD. Whenever I put in a purchased or burnt CD it does not recognize it. I took it to the dealer last week and they said it has some sort of CD malfunction and sent off for another one from the dealer. It is supposed to be in anyday now. So I am hoping although I have a 2010 truck the radio that they will put in will be a "2012" one. Mine is RBZ by the way.

#23 ·
The update that is being talked about (like the post says) is for 2012 vehicles only, with RES< REQ< RHB & RBZ radios ONLY. It will not work for 2010 or 2011 vehicles.
Your replacement radio will most likely be a 2010 radio. Because they will go by the PN and the PN for the 2012 is different.

#22 ·
Yes I have a 2011, RBZ. Streaming audio currently works for me, the quality is just garbage. Anytime I want to listen to music from my iphone, I need to turn off bluetooth and plug it in through the glovebox (very annoying).

I'm not sure that any updates have been issued for 2011s? I will have to find out what version I am running; do you know what the most current version for the 2011s are?

#24 ·
What is the build date of your truck? If it's after 6-1-2011, can you take a picture of the module for me? It's mounted to the dash structure to the right of the glovebox. Drop the glovebox down toward the floor, look inside to the far right and you'll see a similar looking module as pictured below.

Attachments

#25 ·
I'm pretty positive it wasnt built after that...however I could be wrong. I bought it in Nov. 2011. I will try to find out exactly when and take a picture of that module if it after that date.

Regardless if it was built before/after that date, the bluetooth audio quality still sucks and really makes me mad because I use my phone for music a lot, but cannot keep my bluetooth on to listen; which means no incoming phone calls.

#26 ·
The reason I wanted to know the build date of the vehicle is to try to determine which version of the Uconnect module you have and aslo to back iit up with a picture. This information would tell me if I can help further.
Now I'm kind of confused as to why you have to turn the BT off to listen to your music? You can have BT on and also have it connected to the docking cable.
Further advantages of using the docking cable is that it's safer that way. You don't have to pick the phone up and scroll thru it to change playlist, artist, tracks etc. You have more control with the radio in docking mode than you do in BT mode. Also you are charging the battery while using it this way rather than just depleting it.
There is a big difference in the bit pool that is being used on newer phones than when the SW was written for the 2011 vehicles which was back in early 2010. In fact the iPhone also was using a lower bit pool up thru their 4.0. They went higher with their 4.3 Update which now made them slightly incompatible like some other phones.

#27 ·
Yeah, you shouldn't have to turn BT off, just switch it so that it only routes the phone audio via BT and not music audio. Don't know how you do it on an iPhone, but on my Android there are separate check boxes for each under the individual paired devices.

On my 2012 430N I stream audio via BT all the time (Slacker, Pandora, SkyFM) and they sound just as good as my MP3 files stored on the hard drive.

#28 ·
So got my truck last night from the dealer. Remeber mine was the one where CDs would not play but everything else worked. They said they were going to replace the radio. Went to system set up and it seems like alot has changed. Here is what the old one said:
Application 08.05.01
Audio CPU 061810
Sirius FW 08.0017.5E
Gracenote 93F
System 0101

Here is what the new on says:
Application 33.00.41
Audio CPU 092611
Sirius 1A.00.1E.14
Gracenote D9F
System 0207

So what is your prognosis? Is this still a 2010 radio that is uptodate or is this something else? By the way thanks everyone for helping out a newbie!

#30 ·
The 33.00.41 looks like it may be a 2012 radio. However you will most likely still be limited to the supported Uconnect features with the 2010 module. However I can verify this for you if you'd take a picture of the module and post it for me to check out. The module is located on the far right side of the dash structure. Drop the glovebox down toward the floor and look inside. You'll see it (about 4"x6").

#32 ·
yep, that's it. Well there's 2 things that you can do here:
1) if you are happy with the features that you have, leave it alone.
2) If you want more enhanced features such as Streaming audio, quicker reading time for iPods / iPhones, "call" and "dial" separation for better reading of names from the phonebook and the ability to play media files from other USB devices.
Then you could replace your module with a newer version and add an iPod / USB cable to your system.

#33 ·
Sorry it's been a while since I have had computer access to reply. HOw would I go about replacing my current module to a newer one? Would the dealer have to do that? Could I get that done under warranty some way since the two don't match now?

Everything is working now so it is not bad if I cannot get it upgraded but it would be nice if I could.

Thanks for your help!

#34 ·
you'd need to buy a newer module. The dealer probably won't change it out under warranty because it does work properly and supports all the features that were available. You just got real lucky and got a newer model radio that is capable of more enhanced features. It is a simple module to get to and change out yourself. There would be no re flashing of the vehicle needed, just plug n play.

#36 · (Edited)
just did the update in my 2012 and its easy just put the file on a usb stick/thumb drive and to avoid any problems like locked out radio's make sure you can dedicate 25-30mins and put the truck in the on position but don't start I would encourage you to not use ACC setting as if it times out and shuts off mid download your locked out so just turn a/c and everything else off and put it in run until your done

as for me personally I noticed a huge difference in the quality of my music being streamed from my blackberry and before it would take 2 mins sometimes to read my 16gig thumb drive with about 200 songs now it's almost instant
also before doing this update I had none of the SMS-text features now I can compose send and have messages read to me all using voice only so it eliminates me ever having to touch my cell which is much safer and much more true to hands free

Very nice update glad to have found it

#37 ·
Hello and thanks for your information about your update. I am glad that it all went well and that you are now pleased. One thing that I am glad that you posted was the ability to use the SMS text messaging feature. The BB phones (as well as few others) work great for this feature. However there are some phones that support the MAP profile but still have some issues. Some can rec a message but can't send a message. Some can send a message and Uconnect says "sending of text message failed" but the message still goes thru. In this case, the phone needs to reply to Uconnect that it has sent the message. This reply has to be within a time frame, the error message comes from Uconnect if the phone doesn't reply in time or at all.
:smileup:

#48 ·
I'll have to have the dealer do this when I go for my 16,000 mile service

#51 ·
I did last years update seem to fix a bunch of things. The only problem I have, the terrible skip in between songs. I feel it's going to blow by system up.

#53 ·
I'm having 3 issues:

1. PAUSE within apps during Bluetooth use doesn't work. Within Audible, Amazon MP3 or Google Music, all apps will pause briefly then start right back up. This only happens when in BT mode. If I'm connected through the AUX jack, the PAUSE feature on my phone works fine.
  2. My PHONEBOOK does download, but its not the contacts I'm expecting. I'm getting a huge list of names, but the most important ones, my wife and my sister, don't appear at all even though they are on my phone, and included in my "favorites" list. And as far as I know, I'm only using Google Contacts. NOTE: all of my contacts were added through Google, and then synced to phone.
  3. Can't locate Uconnect software version. I tried holding the PHONE button down for 15 seconds and waiting for the "connect USB thumb drive" message, but I never did get the version information on the screen.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Manufactured 08/11
Radio: RES Media Center 130
Cell Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon Network

Also of note, my previous phone, Droid X (Verizon), had all the same Bluetooth issues.

Any help would sure be appreciated. This is driving me crazy!

#54 ·
First thing, lets start with the update. You have the V1 SW in your system. Please see post #13 and perform that update, then lets see where you're at, ok. Thanks

I'm having 3 issues:

1. PAUSE within apps during Bluetooth use doesn't work. Within Audible, Amazon MP3 or Google Music, all apps will pause briefly then start right back up. This only happens when in BT mode. If I'm connected through the AUX jack, the PAUSE feature on my phone works fine.
  2. My PHONEBOOK does download, but its not the contacts I'm expecting. I'm getting a huge list of names, but the most important ones, my wife and my sister, don't appear at all even though they are on my phone, and included in my "favorites" list. And as far as I know, I'm only using Google Contacts. NOTE: all of my contacts were added through Google, and then synced to phone.
  3. Can't locate Uconnect software version. I tried holding the PHONE button down for 15 seconds and waiting for the "connect USB thumb drive" message, but I never did get the version information on the screen.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Manufactured 08/11
Radio: RES Media Center 130
Cell Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon Network

Also of note, my previous phone, Droid X (Verizon), had all the same Bluetooth issues.

Any help would sure be appreciated. This is driving me crazy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.