DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
5500 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up Redrum.
Still concerned though about effects of lowering on rear track bar... decreasing the angle of the bar essentially increases the distance between the mounting points, which means that the axle mount will have force loading it. If its not enough to affect track or suspension height, it will probably cause binding in suspension travel.
As posted in other threads, the solution is relocating the track bar mount lower on the axle. Not sure how to calculate the correct position after lowering though.
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

My only thing with that though, is that when the truck sits lower, it's not all that different from when you have a load in the bed. The track bar would react the same on the 4 link rear suspension. To lower the truck by adding the shorter springs just allows you to ride at that height, as if the truck was essentially hauling or towing. And even when fully bottomed out the track bar doesn't cause binding, while adjusting it I'm sure could help to some degree I'm not 100% certain it has adverse effects on the lowered trucks if it doesn't really cause an issue in tow/haul scenarios... just my .02
Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Rep:12
5500 is on a distinguished road

Good point Indeepwaterblue.
I'm probably going to take some measurements at stock height and weighted down enough to simulate a drop, then make a decision. Will also check the travel arc of the track bar as well. Will post info when I have it.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram qc express 2wd
Color: Black
Rep:10
redrum is on a distinguished road

Drove by the dealership this morning, and the 4wds seem fine. The only 2wd on the lot was a r/t and it was fine. Im not sure what is causing the problem but Im taking my truck in tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Let us know how you make out... I just checked my RAM after reading your post and it seems ok.... Great info.... Thanks for making this thread.......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well, just spoke with corporate. Guesss what, I am the first ram with this problem according to them. FML, I can already tell this is going to be fun.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hemi QC
Trim Level: sport
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:65
stricnine will become famous soon enough

OP, To say that all who lowered are wrong about their roll center is a false assumption.

My truck's roll center was measured prior to lowering. We then measured after lowering and my roll center was off by 3 1/8". We shortened my factory trac bar by making it adjustable and brought the roll center back even. Measured on both side of the rear axle to confirm.

Yours may be off from the factory, but to assume all others are as well is not wise. lol

Last edited by stricnine; 03-29-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricnine View Post
OP, To say that all who lowered are wrong about their roll center is a false assumption.

My truck's roll center was measured prior to lowering. We then measured after lowering and my roll center was off by 3 1/8". We shortened my factory trac bar by making it adjustable and brought the roll center back even. Measured on both side of the rear axle to confirm.

Yours may be off from the factory, but to assume all others are as well is not wise. lol

you may be right about my assumption. however, the track bar does not need shortened, it would need to be longer to bring the axle back to center. not wise of you to say that either. lol
Old 03-29-2012, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^that's not correct, if you lower the vehicle the panhard bar would "need" (if you want to say it's "needed") shortened, not elongated.

I understand it may seem a little Fed up or frustrating that the wheels don't line up perfect on each side, but if it's within ~1/2 inch I wouldn't cause a fuss. There is no harm it's just a visual thing, and really not noticeable. Like was mentioned, the suspension does not bind at any point in it's travel, so lowering the truck is not harmful. Yes it would lengthen the life of the 4 link's bushings a little to have an adjustable panhard and have it adjusted perfectly, but it's really not a huge deal, or one to worry about. Especially if you are only dropping say 1" or 2".

Unless it is going to drive you crazy visually, there is no issue. This is the way the suspension is designed, it will "shift" side to side a little (say ~1") throughout it's full travel, it's in the design of the panhard bar. Yes it might seem like a "flaw" but other than a slight visual uncomfort, it is a very superior suspension to just about any other and in every way.

My buddy's camaro has a panhard and when he launches at the track his slicks rub the left fender well but not the right fender well when it squats....same thing, the axle shifts ~1" through travel...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

It does not need to be shorter. The bar is stationary on the frame on the passenger side, so the shorter the bar the closer the axle is going to be toward the passenger side.