DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 03 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Ramskull is on a distinguished road
Default information......information

I have an 03 qc 2500 with a 5.7. She has 193,000 and is ready for a change. I have been looking at the 6.4 392 520hp but a friend of mine mentioned the V10. Are there any mods that have to be done for the swap or will all bolt up (motor, tranny). going to make a change soon, so if you guys have any good info please let me know.
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramskull View Post
I have an 03 qc 2500 with a 5.7. She has 193,000 and is ready for a change. I have been looking at the 6.4 392 520hp but a friend of mine mentioned the V10. Are there any mods that have to be done for the swap or will all bolt up (motor, tranny). going to make a change soon, so if you guys have any good info please let me know.
Definitely different transmission and most likely driveshaft. Different computers and wiring. The 03 2500 is the only year 3rd gen body/chassis (02 2500 was still a 2nd gen body/chassis) to have the V10. It will physically bolt in, but you would need a donor truck to make it all work right. If you want a challenge, go for it. If not, rebuild (stock or go for more power/stroke) or replace your engine and keep on truckin'.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have found an 05 srt 10 viper motor, tranny and rearend. What would I need for the install. Will all bolt up or need new motor mounts, tranny cross member?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 PM

HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
I have found an 05 srt 10 viper motor, tranny and rearend. What would I need for the install. Will all bolt up or need new motor mounts, tranny cross member?
Ahh...you want to do an SRT-10 swap. This has been done with a 2002, so it can be done with a 2003 (the prototype was built on a 2003 for the car show). The Dana 60 will bolt in, but did you get a reg cab set or quad cab set? Makes a difference on where the springs attach. Reg cab SRT's are pre-lowered from the factory, so the spring perches are under it like a leaf sprung car, plus they have special leaf springs. The quad cab SRT's mount on top like a regular 1500. You will need a custom driveshaft, length depending on whether you got an automatic or manual trans (again, auto=QC, stick=RC). If you go to do this, let me know, as I have a brand new transmission slide yoke in the box for one of these trucks, it'll save you some $$ when you go to get the custom driveshaft you WILL need. Engine mounts will be slightly different, but once you have the right mounts they should bolt the to the ember no problem, same with the transmission (48RE or T56). Hope you found a full harness to go with it. Highly recommend beefing the suspension with the SRT springs and brakes, since the brakes on the SRT axle will be bigger than your stock fronts. The rear brakes on a Ram SRT-10 are bigger 2 piston calipers than the stock 1500 front brakes. The fronts on the 05-06 SRT's are 4 piston calipers on 15" rotors. I have all of these and they are farking HUGE and they WORK.

"Big Red"
Mods list in profile
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have found all I need, motor, tranny, driveshaft, rearend, all brake parts, wireharness, radiator(new) and pcm. all came out of an 05 srt10 ram qc. he will send the motor mounts with the motor.

Do you have the web page where the 02 had been built?

Also, from what you wrote it all will just bolt right in?

If all is true this would be a cheaper way for me to go and only lose 15hp from bolting in just a 392 at 520hp.....the cost for the 392 alone is 16500.00. The V10 Viper with tranny, wire harness and pcm is 10500.00 17000 miles on it. Also the rear end and brake parts will keep me under the 16000.00 mark. I am also going with a baggit suspension in all four corners and the SRT10 clad and hood. I am working on the interior and will have it complete this weekend. Hushmat through out, recovered headliner, carpet, all new seat skins, kenwood 9980, JL 900hd, JL 10w3 x2 and the fronts Dynaudio GTs.

Do you know of a good hd antenna?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great project
Don't forget to use your camera, many people would like to see how it is being done

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 PM

See answers in bold

Quote:
I have found all I need, motor, tranny, driveshaft, rearend, all brake parts, wireharness, radiator(new) and pcm. all came out of an 05 srt10 ram qc. he will send the motor mounts with the motor.

Do you have the web page where the 02 had been built? Do a search for '2002 ram converted to srt' but here are pictures:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...equestid=77223

Also, from what you wrote it all will just bolt right in? Yes & no, the engine should, the axle will, you will be able to get the correct trans mount, but the quad cab SRT's use a 2 piece driveshaft. If you intend to use the one you got, you will have to mount the center carrier bearing (which isn't stock for a regular 1500 quad cab). Not only do you have to mount it, you need to make sure it is aligned correctly and all your angles are good.

If all is true this would be a cheaper way for me to go and only lose 15hp from bolting in just a 392 at 520hp.....the cost for the 392 alone is 16500.00. The V10 Viper with tranny, wire harness and pcm is 10500.00 17000 miles on it. Also the rear end and brake parts will keep me under the 16000.00 mark. I am also going with a baggit suspension in all four corners and the SRT10 clad (by clad I assume you mean the cladding/body kit. You will need to redo your exhaust because it goes straight out the back on the passenger side) and hood. I am working on the interior and will have it complete this weekend. Hushmat through out, recovered headliner, carpet, all new seat skins, kenwood 9980, JL 900hd, JL 10w3 x2 and the fronts Dynaudio GTs.

Do you know of a good hd antenna? No

"Big Red"
Mods list in profile