DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
Tommycat is on a distinguished road

Well added a few swear words, but not much else. been having a devil of time tracking down the wiring harness. Darn bone-yards with people cutting through the harnesses.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM

I haven't forgotten this. It's just been a pain finding the RIGHT wiring harnesses.
I got the 2004 harness, and whadya know... Not matching up... The second plug from the motor to the underhood/headlight wiring harness doesn't connect to anything... Why couldn't Dodge use ONE FRIGGING HARNESS FOR THE 5.7 HEMI! There are at least 4 of them for 04 alone. I know because I got two part numbers, and this one is neither. And I called another boneyard, and they have a completely different frigging number altogether.

For reference the 2 wheel drive with 4 wheel antilock brakes part number is 56051224AE. the 2 wheel drive with rear antilock brakes only is 56000993AF

Oh and there is no way in heck I'm buying that part from Dodge. $2190 from Dodge.

Future reference:
GET THE VIN NUMBERS!
Dodge needs it to find out what the correct wiring parts are... For now, I'm going to go and get a gun for my truck... ugh...

Last edited by Tommycat; 05-18-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram SLT, 4wd swb
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:27
HemiEd is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear of the stress this swap is causing you! Hang in there, it will be worth it when you are done.

My 4.7 03 is a stick with only 30k on it, but it would be real nice to have the 5.7.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Okay, in the event that someone is still looking at this...

This weekend I finally got the wiring harnesses I needed. Just a head's up for anyone attempting this in the future. Get the wiring harness for the project before hand. You will need two.

One is the Engine harness, and the other is called the "Headlight to dash" wiring harness. Don't bother getting one without the other. Trying to match them up is a bit of a headache. And by that I mean you will drive yourself absolutely bonkers because the part numbers will be one digit off, and that digit will mean the difference between a working harness and screaming obscenities at the vehicle. When you find the engine harness, ask if they have the headlight to dash harness. If they say no, go on to the next one. If you try to get one new, it'll run you between 1400 and 2400 depending on where you go and which harness you need.

I'd actually recommend getting the harness FIRST. Simple reason, It's easier to install the matching harness while the engine and trans are out of the vehicle.

Ed, I'd say that might be easier, except they might have had several transmissions. And it seems that it was easier to find engine harnesses for the auto.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Grey Metallic
Rep:10
bigVtwin is on a distinguished road

I read on another forum that someone had successfully swapped a 5.7 into a 4.7 truck using the 4.7 computer and harness. Apparently he found a way to splice the wiring on the hemi to the 4.7 harness and avoided all the headache of changing ecms and harnesses. The guy claims the hemi ran decent on a superchips performance tune for the 4.7, and then ran really good once he switched to SCT tuning. If this is all true, I may be reconsidering this swap some day down the road because I do not have the patience to go through all the problems you are having, haha.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 PM

Today wasn't too terrible. Got a load of parts in.

Throttle body
Throttle control
ECM
Post Cat O2 sensors
intake
IAT sensor(because I was stupid and accidentally threw my old one out)
Fuel line. Yes, you have to switch the fuel line(sorta) because the 4.7 and 5.7 use different engine side connectors.

Tried starting it.
Sputtered to life, died.
Start again.... Sputter... die...
Gotta replace my power steering pump pulley to get the serpentine on it, maybe that has something to do with it, but really... not sure on this one...
probably have to get the exhaust done before it'll work.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Today wasn't too terrible. Got a load of parts in.

Throttle body
Throttle control
ECM
Post Cat O2 sensors
intake
IAT sensor(because I was stupid and accidentally threw my old one out)
Fuel line. Yes, you have to switch the fuel line(sorta) because the 4.7 and 5.7 use different engine side connectors.

Tried starting it.
Sputtered to life, died.
Start again.... Sputter... die...
Gotta replace my power steering pump pulley to get the serpentine on it, maybe that has something to do with it, but really... not sure on this one...
probably have to get the exhaust done before it'll work.
Nice progress Tommy, you are getting there. I bet you are really looking forward to driving it!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Nice progress Tommy, you are getting there. I bet you are really looking forward to driving it!
Yeah, now it's all put together, and just getting reprogrammed at a shop(simply because I don't want to spend the $500+ on the software to readjust the vin and calibrate it). Pretty well ready to go now. Future reference, for anyone else planning on the swap. DON'T! Seriously. I did it as an experiment. And I think it's convinced me to hate Dodge. 04 is probably the ABSOLUTE WORST year to pick to do this. Just swap in a 4.7 and sell the thing. Then get what you really wanted.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Yeah, now it's all put together, and just getting reprogrammed at a shop(simply because I don't want to spend the $500+ on the software to readjust the vin and calibrate it). Pretty well ready to go now. Future reference, for anyone else planning on the swap. DON'T! Seriously. I did it as an experiment. And I think it's convinced me to hate Dodge. 04 is probably the ABSOLUTE WORST year to pick to do this. Just swap in a 4.7 and sell the thing. Then get what you really wanted.
Shucks, I was hoping to talk you into doing it for me.

j/k

A year from now the wounds will have healed, the pain will have subsided, and you will have the Hemi truck at your call.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Shucks, I was hoping to talk you into doing it for me.

j/k

A year from now the wounds will have healed, the pain will have subsided, and you will have the Hemi truck at your call.
Oh sure, I'll do yours up. But here's what I'll need. All the parts I listed here, as well as a room for me at Lakeshore. Preferably something with a view

Do yourself a favor, get the engine and headlight to dash wiring harness outta an 03 Dodge Ram 2500 with the manual transmission. The 1500 only had an auto with the 5.7 Only the 3.7 and 4.7 had manual trans in the 1500... weird I know... But that's Dodge for ya. Oh and while you're at it, you may want to get the fuel line... Actually if you can get a wrecked Dodge Ram 2500 manual trans truck with the hemi and take the parts you need from that... trust me you'll be happier to have everything there...