DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Unlimited Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:40
Mudder is on a distinguished road
Default What all will be needed to add factory NAV?

Ok, so I'm wanting to upgrade my stock, single disc setup to something with a little better sound quality. Mine is just the plain, no bluetooth, no upgraded speakers or factory amp setup. I want to add a factory nav unit, either the 730N or 430N and make it fully functional with bluetooth etc. What all will I need to complete this?

The speaker replacement will be fairly self explanatory I think and then I plan on getting a powered MTX thunderform for the rear. Dont want too much bass, but just some to compliment the rest.

Any guidance on what I'll need to make the nav unit fully functional is appreciated!
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I am no expert by any means but I did just recenltly replace my 2009 Non Nav unit with a one that has Nav that came out of a 2010 Jeep.

If you are going to get a Nav/Factory headunit that is 2011 or new you will need the antenna that also serves as the satellite radio antenna. For the antenna, don't quote me on this because mine came with one, I know you will have to run it out to the cab and possibly drill a small hole to mount it.

Since it sounds like you have the stock RES unit in your 2011 with no Uconnect you will also need to get the factory Microphone and harness that will put the mic in your rear view mirror.

As far as installation everything else should be plug n play except for those to pieces until you get them and install it.

Old Post, may help as well:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....662#post705662

Chrome... in moderation.

Last edited by Arth; 04-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I've already got the satellite radio, so I should be good to go on the antenna.

From all I've read, I think I'll need the mirror with the mics, the nav unit itself of course and a lockpick kit if I want to play videos while moving. The only feature I dont really care to make functional is a rear camera.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Do you have Sirius radio? If so then you won't need a GPS ant. If not then you will need a SAT / GPS ant.

For the 430N radio you will need:
If you are also wanting Uconnect, then you will need to pick a MOPAR kit (82212159). This kit will have the Uconnect module, mic & harness. You will also want to get the Ipod / USB cable (82212160).

For the 730N you'll need an external mic kit, the radio and possibly an antenna (depending on if you already have SAT radio). Uconnect is built into this radio.
After the install is complete, then you'll need to take the vehicle to the dealer to have it flashed to include the new equipment.

Now on the other hand, you might want to look into an aftermarket radio that has Nav, SAT radio, Bluetooth hands free and aux inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Ok, so I'm wanting to upgrade my stock, single disc setup to something with a little better sound quality. Mine is just the plain, no bluetooth, no upgraded speakers or factory amp setup. I want to add a factory nav unit, either the 730N or 430N and make it fully functional with bluetooth etc. What all will I need to complete this?

The speaker replacement will be fairly self explanatory I think and then I plan on getting a powered MTX thunderform for the rear. Dont want too much bass, but just some to compliment the rest.

Any guidance on what I'll need to make the nav unit fully functional is appreciated!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:37 PM

I've thought about an aftermarket unit. Thought it might be easier but I want to keep my steering wheel controls.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

As mentioned in my other reply, the mic will not be in the mirror. It will be an external mic mounted near the drivers visor. If you were to go and purchase a mirror with the mic you will find that you have harness issues as well as poor sound quality and really more $$$ (seeing how the external mic is about $35). There are some people that say "just mount it to your dash panel, but this is not the right location for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Thanks for the info. I've already got the satellite radio, so I should be good to go on the antenna.

From all I've read, I think I'll need the mirror with the mics, the nav unit itself of course and a lockpick kit if I want to play videos while moving. The only feature I dont really care to make functional is a rear camera.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure about this, but i believe Crutchfield & Installer carry the steering wheel controls adapter

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DEgfhFR...Video-GPS.html
http://www.installer.com/

NAV-TV & Global may also carry them
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

Here is the write up when I upgraded my 2009 with the RES radio to the RHR.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102254

You won't have to replace the sirius antenna though, I believe that the 2011 vehicles all have the combo roof antenna... And for the cost of the microphoned mirror, I would just put in a separate microphone.. Look at oemautopartsco.com for the microphone or suggestions.

Andy
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Aftermarket doesnt seem to be any better after looking this afternoon. Any with built in blue tooth seem to require an external mic also.

So if I got a 730N from oemautopartsco, I'd also need the external mic, and the lockpick if I want it to play dvds while in motion, and it should plug/play with my existing steering wheels controls. How can I hook up the additional subs to this setup? I've only done direct swaps in the past, but I'd like to give it a go myself this time instead of having a shop wire up the subs for me.

Last edited by Mudder; 04-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

Aftermarket is WAY better. The Nav works better and the bluetooth is way better. They have more options and output more power to the speakers as well has have outputs for amps and subs. I installed a Pioneer AVIC 130bt and I love it. I have my steering wheel controls and everything. I love it.