DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Brakes

Notices

Brakes Brake Maintenance and Replacement

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
DYNO is on a distinguished road
Default Brakes - 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4

Hi everyone. Okay due for a complete brake job. Rotors, pads, emergency brake, etc. The Dodge dealer priced me out and I am looking at about $1,900tax in. Called around and most shops would do the job for roughly $1,100 to $1,400.

I travel in the states as I am not far from the border and I got a price from a dealer (Chev dealer - only becuase Dodge is not around and would be too far to travel to). They were very nice and quoted me a price of $640 for everthing tax in. If I upgraded to ceramice brakes etc the price would jump to $820 tax in. I checked with Canada customs and there is no duty if the parts are made in the USA and the only tax I have to pay is the HST on the invoice. I figure this puts my total to $950 tax in if I spend the money on the better brakes.

My question is - is it worth the money to buy ceramic brakes

Is there any concerns I should be aware of with having work done on my truck from an American dealer

Any feedback would be welcome

Many thanks
Dyno
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Normally parts that wear, like brakes, hoses, belts, & tires are not covered under a warranty
So any brake shop in the States that has ASE Certified employees can do the work, if they are also AAA Approved, or Approved Auto Repair (AAR) facilities that is a bonus, just keep your receipts

https://www.ase.com/Home.aspx
I believe the Canadian equal would be, Provincial Mechanics License

AAA down here is the same as CAA above the border & AARS approved auto repair facility would be the same as our AAR
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 04-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
DYNO is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrade to better brakes

Thank-you GTyankee. Would you spend the extra money on upgraded brakes. I am being told that ceramic brakes are better. Question is do they make me stop quicker etc?

Thanks