DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab 2wd
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Off White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
bigred0311 will become famous soon enough
Default Safe to remove clutch fan?

so as owners of the 2009 and 2010 rams we have the luxury of having clutch and electric fans in our vehicles... yes i know 2011 and 2012 have them too but the earlier models can controll the e-fan with programmers....

so my question being if i have already swapped out my 203* thermostat with a Jet 180*... and used my Predator programmer to change my settings for the e-fan to come on at 180* temp of the coolant then i would be ok to REMOVE THE CLUTCH FAN now right?

Pros? Cons?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Quad Cab 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:25
mikeski is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mikeski

From what I have read it will be fine. And if I remember correctly you can come in from the bottom to remove the fan. You will need a very large wrench to get that bad boy off. Unless your luck like some and it pops right off.

me...

Morimoto Mini H1 Projector's w/ Digital 55watt 6000k HID's, 35W 10k HID Fog Lights, Blue LED's throughout the interior, Bed and Reverse LED's, Oil Catch Can, 4" vent to stock air box and two beady red eyes. Where will the madness end????
Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

It is safe. I'd only be concerned on a heavy tow or something like that but even then it should be fine. Don't set the fan to the same temp as the tstat, because then it will run constantly and you lose all the benefits of having the electric fan and no mechanical fan. You want the fan to come on once the temp gets well beyond the tstat temp. I run a 180 (so it's calleD) in my 4.7L and it actually opens at like 185-190. My normal temp is about 190-195 while moving. I have the fan come on at about 205. It creeps up when sitting still then the fan kicks on and keeps it from getting too hot.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM

snrusnak-

so this morning i noticed my t-stat opened up at 190 exatcly... and dropped my temp dropped down to 177* in about 2 seconds. it was really really fast. after driving around all day gunning it on the freeway average run temp was 181, it pretty much stayed there but sometimes fluxuated down to 177. now my predator has 2 settings...... fan when a/c in on.... and fan when a/c is off where there is a low and a high temp ( speed of the fan)....

untill now i was going to do 180* with the a/c on... 180 as a low temp and 203 as a high. however your right at the same temp would mean the fan would always be running. so it would be pointless....

how does this sound. with the a/c on a temp of 185*. the low being 185* and the high being 195*
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

First, I'd check to make sure you don't have some air in the system. If the temp dropped 13 degrees in 2 seconds I'd bet there's air in the system.

Also, just note that just because the temperature peaks then starts to drop, that does not necessarily mean that that's the tstat opening temperature. For example, when it's cool out my truck rarely will get above 195 with my "180 tstat". When it's hot out it will rarely stay under 195. So there are a lot of factors.

The reason I know mine opens at the temperatures I stated above is because I tested it before installation.

Personally, I'd set low speed to turn on at about 195 and turn off at about 190. And set high to turn on at about 205 and off at about 200. That's if you have all those options. With my superchips I only have one on setting, and it has to drop in temperature 6 degrees to shut off. Since mine fluctuated from 190-200 regularly I set my fan to turn on at 207 so once it drops to 200 it will turn off.

One of these days I'll get an aftermarket controller to operate both speeds of the fan with less variation in temp, but for now this is what I got....

Just remember if the fan is running you're negating the benefits of the whole mod. You want the fan off when driving(moving) and only want it to come on when sitting and the temp gets high. Once you get moving again the temp will drop.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
First, I'd check to make sure you don't have some air in the system. If the temp dropped 13 degrees in 2 seconds I'd bet there's air in the system.
sorry my bad, forgot my a/c was running, it was probuably my a/c condenser fan kicking on.. makes sense that way for such a rapid temp drop.

Quote:
Just remember if the fan is running you're negating the benefits of the whole mod. You want the fan off when driving(moving) and only want it to come on when sitting and the temp gets high. Once you get moving again the temp will drop.
yes this makes perfect sense. i wonder why some models run at a higher temp with the 180 t-stat... for instance yours at 195.... average max even on a hot day varies 177-183 for me. (minus that weird 190 this morning)

i don't believe the predator has the 6 degree difference to shut off the fan... but to be safe so the fan is not always running i am going to try 190 with the a/c on... 190 for the low and 200 for the max. see how that works.

really the way to test it is to install the tune, get the engine to running temp and park 20 to 30 min. and see what happens ( to represent traffic ) as well as trying it both with the a/c on and off.

thanks for all your help in this, if you have any other suggestions please feel free and i will let you know how it works out...

also this is the e-fan i will be replacing my stock one with http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201..._assembly.html
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

^^^That is exactly what I got, and with no towing @ 92 degrees, it still worked great, temps were 183-185!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Yeah hope I'm helping lol. I'm still sort of expirimenting with mine as well. My temp never drops fast due to the fan. I have a feeling the superchips only runs the fan on low speed though, not high, and maybe that's why.

When your fan kicks on high speed, is it the same loudness as when the AC is on? Or louder? What I'm getting at is is the fan speed when the AC is on low or high? Because my fan when it comes on due to high temp sound the same as with the AC on. So I sort of assume this is low speed.

I think there is some variance in the tstats so maybe some open at 177 deg some at 187 deg, it's sort of "close" but they vary. I don't know for sure the real answer though. And who knows, maybe I still have some air in my system...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM

It's been hot out lately(like 90-95) and driving in traffic my truck has been holding ~200deg with my fan on. When I get moving it drops to ~195 deg. I think this is all due to my tstat opening temp being higher than stated though, not due to the fan. I'm sure a high speed with the fan would help though.

Keep in mind, I don't think people realize how much coolant temp ranges with stock tuning. Normal operating temp for my truck when stock was anywhere from 200 deg (when moving and cool out) to 220 deg (when sitting and hot out). So 190-200 seems great to me. It's less range AND cooler. Although I do wish my tstat opened at the temp advertised, but oh well...

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
When your fan kicks on high speed, is it the same loudness as when the AC is on? Or louder? What I'm getting at is is the fan speed when the AC is on low or high? Because my fan when it comes on due to high temp sound the same as with the AC on. So I sort of assume this is low speed.
honestly i don't know about the high speed sound cause i have never gotten to the tempatures to kick it on. i know stock the high was 222*. today i ran my a/c full blast for about 10-15 min. before my a/c condenser fan turned on to what i believe to be the low speed, and to be honest with the hood open and my head in the engine bay looking at it spinning.. i couldn't even hear it. in my opinion it would not need to be on a high speed with the a/c on unless you were overheating and it reached the high temperature for the high speed to turn on.