DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
dmanic is on a distinguished road
Default ram 1500 vs dakota 5.9

Does anyone happen to know if anything except injectors need to be swapped out when replacing a 99 ram 5.9 with a 2000 Dakota 5.9? I swapped one out with everything on them, except the fuel injectors had different connectors. So i used the ones off the old 99 1500 5.9, but I jist can't get the damn thing to stay running. the engine ran before I put it in. Now it kicks over, but dies immediately and I have a bunch of carbon buildup on the new plugs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I moved your thread here to improve your chances of a qualified answer.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you for moving it.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 99 Dakota R/T
The Misfit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanic View Post
Does anyone happen to know if anything except injectors need to be swapped out when replacing a 99 ram 5.9 with a 2000 Dakota 5.9? I swapped one out with everything on them, except the fuel injectors had different connectors. So i used the ones off the old 99 1500 5.9, but I jist can't get the damn thing to stay running. the engine ran before I put it in. Now it kicks over, but dies immediately and I have a bunch of carbon buildup on the new plugs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
They are the same motor. The injectors as far as I know are also the same, as far as lbs per hour, the connectors however must be different, as you say.

So what is the problem? You just put this motor in and it won't stay running? Let me ask you this, are all your sensors plugged up? Even though the plugs are carbon covered, the truck should still run,just not at full potential.

When the engine dies, does it just cut off as if you turned the key off? Or does it choke out, like it runs out of gas? etc
Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yes, everything is connected, checked and double checked. I'm getting plenty of pressure and volume at the fuel rail. After i installed the engine and started it for the first time, it ran for about 60 seconds really rough, but didn't sound like anything was coming from the exhaust. I'm wondering if maybe the exhaust is clogged. i'm going to try and drop it this weekend and give it a shoot.
Here is a video of trying to start it. It will run for a few seconds really rough, but as soon as i try to give it gas, it dies. then won't start again.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

When you got this motor, what all did you swap over? Was the distributor swapped? It really sounds like it may be 180 out, or just off. I had to pull the dizzy out of my 3.9 Dakota and i didn't get it back right and that's exactly what it did.

Have you verified that its getting good fire? will it start and run if you spray ether or starting fluid into the TB?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The Dizzy was my first thought. I rotated it 180, adjusted it, adjusted it and adjusted it. Where it is set now, is the only place it will actually start for a few seconds. The only things off of the 1500 engine i put onto the dakota engine, was the dizzy and the fuel injectors.

Would a clogged exhaust maybe cause this?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I suppose if the cat was extremely clogged, it could.

But assuming it ran fine before whatever reasons the motor swapped, kinda rules that out?

I assume you've checked and re-checked that the plug wires are on in correct order? Have you had a friend turn the dizzy while you tried starting it?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yes. I had my boy try to start it while I turned the dizzy. I've pulled all the wires and ran them one by one. I've tested compression. I also tested fuel pressure and volume at the rail. I don't really have a way of testing the injectors though. The reason I brought up the exhaust is that it sat for a few months with the old engine in it, and when I started it up It blew 3 rats out of the tail pipe. I was thinking maybe some nested in there and now it's clogged up.?. It was sitting for about 8 months. It doesn't matter if I try starting fluid or not, I get the same results. I did notice some fuel on the plugs, like its not fully igniting the gas, or maybe its getting too much. Just trying to add everything I've done so far.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:86
SnoopyIsMyHero will become famous soon enough

disconnect the y-pipe and try it. that would either confirm or bust the cat\exhaust being the issue.

Added benefit is pissing off any neighbors you hate