DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the transmission throttle valve needs attention. A repair/improver kit is under $40.
http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...771-03K-IN.pdf

Last edited by Gen1dak; 04-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Sounds like the transmission throttle valve needs attention. A repair/improver kit is under $40.
http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...771-03K-IN.pdf
I wouldn't put the cart before the horse yet. He might not have the cable adjusted properly yet, not many people get it adjusted right there first time. Actually many times you're going to adjust it over and over again until the transmission shifts the way you want it. The biggest issue with transmissions is they tend to have small internal leaks as they age because the seals harden and it makes it very difficult to tune the transmission to the way you want it. But I don't think he is having issues with the throttle valve, it's just the cable the issue is the sensitivity of the valve.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram QC SLT Sport
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
ddenton is on a distinguished road

Well I really need to spend some more time adjusting cable and finding the problem. I towed my 20ft enclosed trailer yesterday and it was much worse hunting for the 1-2 and 2-1 shift. It was cold this morning (27degs) and it shifted fine with the fuild cold and I'm guessing thicker.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddenton View Post
Well I really need to spend some more time adjusting cable and finding the problem. I towed my 20ft enclosed trailer yesterday and it was much worse hunting for the 1-2 and 2-1 shift. It was cold this morning (27degs) and it shifted fine with the fuild cold and I'm guessing thicker.
Sometime when I was towing and a couple times today when it made to shift to second it was like it shifted to neutral. RPMs just flew up. CRAZY

Last edited by ddenton; 04-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sometime when I was towing and a couple times today when it made to shift to second it was like it shifted to neutral. RPMs just flew up. CRAZY
If it's free revving then that isn't good at all. You could have a leak at the valve body if it's free revving that or at worst it's slipping real bad but I would lay my dollar on a cross leak because these damn torque flites are prone to it, the biggest cross leak actually occurs with the pressure regulator valve in the valve body. But I'm not going to assume anything yet, best to get it all adjusted and if still no go then we can work from there, it's most likely just that cable, it can be tricky to adjust. Like Gen1dak posted, the valve bodies have issues with leaks in the throttle valve which makes adjustment a pain in the butt, sonnax makes a fix for this but I always will go the extra mile and try to adjust it before I have to spend 40 bucks.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yea, when ATF heats up it expands like something else. The issue with the fluid thinning out is if their are leaky seals you're going to loose more pressure with hot thin fluid then with thick cold fluid. But for towing try to adjust the cable so you can get redline shifts. How you do this is to disconnect the throttle valve cable from the throttle body and then floor the accelerator and adjust the throttle valve cable so when the cable hook lines up with the pin on the throttle body that the lever on the transmission is open as far as it can go. You will probably have to loosen it after a couple of test runs and would be best too, if you have it to tight or too loose it will cause issues with the transmission. Personally I hate the way they have it set at the factory but at the same time I hate having red line shifts because it wastes gas and it causes excessive downshifts, this is why adjusting the cable is also a PITA.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
If it's free revving then that isn't good at all. You could have a leak at the valve body if it's free revving that or at worst it's slipping real bad but I would lay my dollar on a cross leak because these damn torque flites are prone to it, the biggest cross leak actually occurs with the pressure regulator valve in the valve body. But I'm not going to assume anything yet, best to get it all adjusted and if still no go then we can work from there, it's most likely just that cable, it can be tricky to adjust. Like Gen1dak posted, the valve bodies have issues with leaks in the throttle valve which makes adjustment a pain in the butt, sonnax makes a fix for this but I always will go the extra mile and try to adjust it before I have to spend 40 bucks.
I have tried the throttle cable a little tight and a little loose. Not difference. When driving without trailer I still have times that it hunts the 1-2/2-1 shift and at times just revs like you shifted to neutral. When I'm towing I have much more of the over revving like its just going out of gear. This morning driving to work it shifted fine. ????????
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I have tried the throttle cable a little tight and a little loose. Not difference. When driving without trailer I still have times that it hunts the 1-2/2-1 shift and at times just revs like you shifted to neutral. When I'm towing I have much more of the over revving like its just going out of gear. This morning driving to work it shifted fine. ????????
Sounds like you are going to need to have the valve body rebuilt, most likely the 1-2 shift valve is sticking which is common another problem is the 1-2 timing valve the bore wares so it takes a while (revving) until the stuck 1-2 shift valve gets to work. I don't think the throttle valve is the problem, their is a reason ebay has so many rebuilt CHRYSLER valve bodies for sale! Anyway's I sent you an email tell me if you're interested.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Well... I found a problem. I thought I would change the trans fuild and when I dropped the pan I found parts in the pan. There is a wedge shaped part that has a ball socket on one end. The ball socket is broke which let the part drop out. Any ideas. I'm guessing its for a band.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Well... I found a problem. I thought I would change the trans fuild and when I dropped the pan I found parts in the pan. There is a wedge shaped part that has a ball socket on one end. The ball socket is broke which let the part drop out. Any ideas. I'm guessing its for a band.
Yes that part is for the front band, the strut probably fell out and is laying on top of the valve body so you're going to have to remove the valve body. Either way the valve body has to be removed to have full access to the band. But now that part fell out you won't have a 2nd gear.

Now my idea, replace the little part. You can find one on ebay or you can go to the chrysler dealer but I advise ebay because it will cost you less body parts. The wedge shaped part is known to break because it's casted.