DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking of switching to a cummins

Hey all, hoping you all can give me some real world facts about mpg in your cummins engines because I'm thinking about making the switch.
Here's a little back story to start. I currently own an 01 ram sport 1500 with the 5.9(360) motor. I love my truck but I've been cursing about the terrible fuel mileage (only about 11mpg at best) for a while now, I keep it tuned up, religiously change the oil, and do whatever necessary repairs to ensure it runs properly. But I think I've had enough and I realize that the 360 was never built with fuel economy in mind.
I almost twice now I just about traded in my truck for a small fuel efficient car, but I can clearly justify the need for having a truck, if I get a car I guarantee the next day I will need my truck.
Alright all this being said I know that the 5.9 cummins is a good balance of power and economy. My friend has an 06 3500 with the 5.9 (amazing) but his is lifted and he runs big tires so I don't know how good of fuel economy it will actually get.
For myself personally, I could get away with a 2500 series but I want to stay with the 5.9 cummins and I only want to buy one as new as 05-06. If any of you out there can give me some real world specs for mpg it would be much appreciated, thank-you.
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Wow nobody's bitin' out there oh well, anyways the reason I don't want to go newer than 05-06 is simply cost. I don't have the money to make the 6.7 do what I want it to, I'm talking specifically about dpf delete and not to mention the high price of getting into a 6.7 equipped ram. The 5.9 will be sufficient for my needs.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 2009 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
Rep:15
337ram is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about the cost of fuel for diesel, also the cost of breakdowns on the diesels are higher, if you factor in all that cost and plan for only keeping say under 5yrs I would say no way. If your plans are to keep it for 5plus years and bascially run it till it dies, go for it...........Also check into veggie oil, my salesman runs it and swears by it, talk about cheap mpg
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If you are set on improving your fuel mileage, I would pick up a 2500 and look into a propane injection system, you can easily be looking at 27-32mpg and the cost of propane is dirt cheap and your fill ups of the propane tank are every 6-7 tanks of diesel. Whichever way you decide to go, I would still recommend going diesel if you can justify the initial cost.

People always say that the repair costs of a diesel are really high, the difference is the frequency of repairs compared to gas motors. A diesel that receives regular oil changes and has a water/fuel separator will last for a very long time as a diesel is a much simpler engine. You will perform maintenance on other parts of the vehicle long before the engine needs servicing if you perform regular maintenance.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:86
SnoopyIsMyHero will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337ram View Post
Have you thought about the cost of fuel for diesel, also the cost of breakdowns on the diesels are higher, if you factor in all that cost and plan for only keeping say under 5yrs I would say no way. If your plans are to keep it for 5plus years and bascially run it till it dies, go for it...........Also check into veggie oil, my salesman runs it and swears by it, talk about cheap mpg
The repair costs on the actual diesel-specific items are more expensive, yes (can you say 'injection pump'?), but the breakdowns are less frequent, you don't have an ignition to maintain (cap, rotor, plugs, wires...) so it balances out some. Two batteries can be pricey every 4-5 years as well. Diesel is more expensive but you get better mileage and can out-tow a gas motor all day long. Guess it depends on what you want to use your truck for and where you live. Around here, diesel is the same price as premium. Cold weather starting can suck if you live in the land of the frozen and you have to factor in electricity costs for plugging it in each night but those a minor. If I could have found an affordable Cummins to replace my old 6.5TD 2500 Suburban, I would have grabbed on in an instant.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
If you are set on improving your fuel mileage, I would pick up a 2500 and look into a propane injection system, you can easily be looking at 27-32mpg and the cost of propane is dirt cheap and your fill ups of the propane tank are every 6-7 tanks of diesel. Whichever way you decide to go, I would still recommend going diesel if you can justify the initial cost.

People always say that the repair costs of a diesel are really high, the difference is the frequency of repairs compared to gas motors. A diesel that receives regular oil changes and has a water/fuel separator will last for a very long time as a diesel is a much simpler engine. You will perform maintenance on other parts of the vehicle long before the engine needs servicing if you perform regular maintenance.
This might be promising, it never occurred to me to look into propane for my 1500. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and even with just the 1500 running gear it is adequate enough for what I need it to do. I think I'll price this out.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 ram 2500 2wd
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
bigtim44 will become famous soon enough

I don't like touting fuel mpg,too many variables.I live up in the mountains in colorado,so lots of elevation change ,my 04 1ton dually (auto) gets 16.5 mpg around the doors and 19.2 on the interstate empty,15.5 with a trailer loaded with another vehicle.The stick shift trucks get a few more mpg's.
-Tim
08 Ram 2500 2wd,6.7 cummins, DAP, H&S performance Mini Max, MCC by Ryan, big single turbo, twin CP3 pumps,Hamilton Cam,Fully ported & polished head by MHP,Hellmann sidedraft intake.886hp to the wheels,1430lb/ft to the wheels.
B/DT record holder,El Mirage and Bonneville salt flats.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim44 View Post
I don't like touting fuel mpg,too many variables.I live up in the mountains in colorado,so lots of elevation change ,my 04 1ton dually (auto) gets 16.5 mpg around the doors and 19.2 on the interstate empty,15.5 with a trailer loaded with another vehicle.The stick shift trucks get a few more mpg's.
-Tim

Hmmm...the mileage you get is making me jealous. Still not too sure what I'm doing here yet. Changing to propane injection will probably be costly of the start. Upgrading to a diesel will cost more. Its tough right now because I've had it easy lately with no monthly vehicle payments. Just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and get another truck.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 dodge 2500 5.9
Color: red
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
honda45p is on a distinguished road

i just picked up a 06 with 45 thousand miles i get 16.5 per around town and 12-14 with my 25 trailer loaded down with bikes and all will never go gas again if i can help it and desiel is only 20 cents more then gas so no big deal just put cat back stainless systeme with air intake its 2500 4x4 so go get one i love mine!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: deep cherry red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
pickupman2500 is on a distinguished road

everything can be sumed up into one sentence. real trucks dont have spark plugs. with that out of the way. the price of diesel and gas war. i am going to have to go off our prices. 4.37 for gas. 4.35 for diesel. gas only gets in the real world 8-12mpg, diesel gets 15-19 mpg so it would really take 8.74 in gas for every 4.35 in diesel. not exact math but close. i drive and own both. gas and diesel fords and dodges. the diesel go alot farther than gas. i just got rid of a hemi for another cummins because of the mpg