DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough
Default BSM Magnaflow Mufflex Experience

I bought the Mufflex for two reasons: #1 It made sense to not replace all of the good mandrel bent factory stainless steel on the truck just to replace it with the same. #2 It is marketed as a plug and play simple remove/insert affair with no welding or hassle.

So here is my experience, which I will keep as fair as possible:

The box arrived only a few days late, but I didn't have time to put it on anyway so that was fine. You could blame that on the shipper but the address on the box was wrong. The box ended up going to a neighbor down the street, that could be overlooked as maybe it was my fault or theirs, either way, I got it thanks to good neighbors.
The directions state to just remove the tail pipe from the stock muffler at the connection and then remove the muffler from the front pipe. Well, I don’t know about other trucks, but the factory clamps had crimped the pipe, so there was simply NO way those two pipes were going to pull apart. I had to cut the pipe with a saws-all. I got very lucky at both connections. Where I cut was just past the parts of the pipe that I needed to retain for the new install. So once I got the factory muffler out, I proceeded with the directions to install the ‘Y’ hanger at the rear end of the assembly. OOps, it was not even close to properly fitting. The new hanger was a solid 3” too narrow to make the spread between factory hangers, and thats with the dampers at their max. I had no choice but to cut the cross bar and bend the hanger out to fit. What could I do at this point? The OEM muffler was not going back in and the truck was down until this got resolved. Ok fine, moving on, I install the new mufflex system and that hanger/clamp is supposed to clamp the rear connection also, but was too far forward to do so. I had to use the stock clamp and just use the hanger on the pipe to hold it.
Now This is a very simple setup: Basically it is a Magnaflow muffler off the shelf with a piece of pipe welded to one end to take up the extra length of the factory muffler. To keep it even simpler for the customer, they use slotted ends on the pipe with clamps to avoid the need for welding. Well, after fitting it all in and tightening the clamps, it leaked of course. I should have known, it is more rare for slotted slip joints Not to leak in this type of install.

Well hey, I fire it up and go for a short test drive and it sounds very nice. Of course, its a Magnaflow 18” -that’s a given.

I ended up taking it down to a local muffler shop that charged me $50 to weld the joints up and the leaks are resolved. The hanger is still a POS hanging there with two stubs and the rubber dampers at their maximum reach, but out of sight and no detriment to anything else so, whatever.

So this brings me to my final observation: Why did I go through all this trouble again? Oh ya, it was the idea marketed to me by this company that this was a simple install and, as a bonus, no welding required! Looking back, I could have bought a Magnaflow 18” oval off the shelf, taken it down to the muffler shop and paid $50 to have it welded in cleanly with proper hangers welded in place. ~No funky hanger/clamp that was obviously for the wrong application, no slotted slip pipe or clamps at all.
OH Ya, and I could have walked away with a spare $100+ in my pocket! Ya, this did not work out at all well IMO.

I was going to discuss speaking to Jason about my issues, but today he refunded me $40 so I’ll let that go.

Save your time, frustration and Money = go buy your choice of muffler and just have it welded in place of the stocker. Have them use SS extension pipe for an extra $10 if you want.
Even IF the hanger/clamp weren’t an issue, It’s still not worth it.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear

Last edited by Bikenut; 04-06-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Default Pictures of course

You can see the factory crimp and how I had to cut it off.

The distance between the hangers and where they needed to be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (123.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg photo-4.jpg (126.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg photo-2.jpg (119.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (126.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (125.6 KB, 99 views)

18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 PM

Sorry the pictures are sideways, Im on my sons computer and don't know how to edit with this thing

Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:88
Taylo1 will become famous soon enough

Thank you! I was going to buy the 24" mufflex muffler, because is was supposed to be plug and play. I will be going another direction if I'm going to half to weld one in.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM

I really knew this already but had high hopes; Weld in is simply the 'right' way to go. I know the factory is clamped, but look at the pictures how much they crush the size of the pipe!
I feel a bit bad knocking this product. The idea is great but it just doesn't work out financially or in the final outcome

It took all of 15 minutes for the muffler shop to do the welding, its not a big deal at all.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Hex is on a distinguished road

I've been debating muffler upgrades. Thanx for the heads up and great review.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

well i dont know what to answer to your story other than this sucks,...

BUT

many of us had installed these system on or trucks without any problems at all

myself i put he 24" mufflex kit

it was hard to take the old muffler out because where the clamps us to be but with the help of a friend and a small hammer the tail pipes when out ok

then the clamps there self at first i tough the same as you, they not long enough they are not where their suppose to be,.. but thats until i figure out i should read the instructions and put it the right way,...

after flipping it, it was at the perfect place.... same for the muffler their is a way to put it, is not the same if its put the wrong way

so maybe is it possible that you put the clamb and or the muffler the wrong way

and also your not suppose to cut anything, by doing this maybe you shorthen to much the pipes...

anyway it sucks that you had all of theses problems
but as i said many here on the forum are using these kits and the only problem i heard about was the leakage if not proprelly tighten, many used muffler seallant before tighting theres,.. and voila...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 AM

First, I followed the directions and then I tried every which way i could. the big Y hanger they sent was just plain wrong. Not only the wrong lateral location, but the width was obviously totally off. (See the pictures)

Where I cut the pipe was just past where the part that needed to be retained was so there was absolutely no shortening of the pipe.

I still have the original muffler and can post a pic of the various locations that are hammered like a tin can with a lead dead-blow trying to get it free of the clamp crimp. It was NOT going to come free.

I guess I will just say, Maybe the factory doesn't clamp them as tight on all trucks as they did on mine and maybe I got sent the wrong hanger for my truck- or maybe the 2012 hanger location AND width is different. But regardless; The Mufflex system is just not worth it. ~~~~ Think about it: You can just buy a Magnaflow of your choice and have it welded in properly for a lot LESS Money. It just doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:88
Taylo1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
First, I followed the directions and then I tried every which way i could. the big Y hanger they sent was just plain wrong. Not only the wrong lateral location, but the width was obviously totally off. (See the pictures)

Where I cut the pipe was just past where the part that needed to be retained was so there was absolutely no shortening of the pipe.

I still have the original muffler and can post a pic of the various locations that are hammered like a tin can with a lead dead-blow trying to get it free of the clamp crimp. It was NOT going to come free.

I guess I will just say, Maybe the factory doesn't clamp them as tight on all trucks as they did on mine and maybe I got sent the wrong hanger for my truck- or maybe the 2012 hanger location AND width is different. But regardless; The Mufflex system is just not worth it. ~~~~ Think about it: You can just buy a Magnaflow of your choice and have it welded in properly for a lot LESS Money. It just doesn't make any sense.
You are right, I bought my 24" Magnaflow for $105 and will have have it put on for $50
Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

yeah maybe they did a mistake when packaging it,.. because mine went on like a glove after i figure it out,.. i was trying to put it upside down... this suck for you, you paid the full price for the complet kit and still had to go to a muffler shop,... well if i were you i would call them , let them know that the kit you receive was wrong and ask for a refund of the difference between the kit and just the magnaflow muffler by itself since you had to make it install.

maybe they will give you some money back,.. good luck