DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Default Actual tow capacities explained???

Using my 2012's set up as the base for all models to be mentioned -2012 Laramie, crew 1500 4x4 w/ 5.7 hemi &3.92 rear, as per ram/ chryslers website is rated to tow a max of 9,850lbs.
Now using that same setup on the following models -
Outdoorsman-10,000lbs
Laramie longhorn-9,750lbs
why the contrast between what appears to be the same exact truck,w/ just different trim levels? Especially the Laramie longhorn???
In addition what is the true tow capacity of my ram? Chrysler customer service or lack there of seems to contradict their own website. They quoted my truck being rated at 9,800lb tow max. W.t.f? I hope someone preferably a ram engineer could explain the differences & why. Most importantly what exactly my specific model can tow?
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Using the 5.7L engine as a starting point & the
Tow Package w/ Electronic Brake Controller & Class 4 hitch included
everything about towing & hauling has to do with weight

A 2 door cab is lighter then a 4 door cab, so it can tow & haul more
Wheels that are 17" can tow & haul 50 pounds more then 20" wheels
Engineers have rated the 3.92 ratio rear differential as having a better tow rating then the 3.55 ratio

I would be guessing, but bench seats are lighter then bucket seats & that weight difference could make a difference
Same could be said of the 26 gallon gas tank & the 34 gallon tank
Could the chrome bumpers or the plastic bumpers make a difference too

Towing basics & terms
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/d...wingbasics.pdf

Find your Ram on this chart,
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/d...ammlup1500.pdf

The 2012 Laramie Crew Cab 1500 4X4 5.7L Tow Ratings
with 3.55 ratio rear end is 8,300 Pounds
with 3.92 ratio rear end is 9,800 Pounds

Optional Equipment Weight Chart
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/d...m/ramldoew.pdf
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 04-10-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough

I like your reply/ answer to my post in regards to my truck in particular. But still just looking at how they list on ram trucks website both trucks utilizing a 5.7 hem w/ anti spin 3.92 rear, 20 inch wheels Identical design/ spoke count, 32 gallon fuel tank, crew cab body style & 5.7 ft bed, basically identical trucks other than the leather style & badging changes from the laramie to the laramie longhorn. But yet the laramie can tow 150 lbs more than the laramie longhorn. Any one go to the ram trucks site. Bring up the comparison table that has the various models stacked. select crew cab up top. scroll down to the laramie & open up the little tow capabilities slider scale jammy. Now select on both of them the 3.92 rear & then use the little slider & kick the fatties out of the truck. slide it down to 1 passenger at 150 lbs in the truck only. Tell me what you see? Laramie 9,850 / Laramie longhorn 9,700 why the difference & why is it that not even chrysler cant answer me on this issue??? Oh & I know they state my trucks actual capacity is 9,800 whenever I speak to chrysler directly. However if say I weren't 190lb fatty & weighed 150 like their scale, as per their site I could strap a trailer minus fuel weight & my coffee in my hand say in the neighborhood of 9,450lbs ? Why is the weight different & why do they post it as they do but tell me other wise????
Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

150lbs won't really make a difference if u got something to tow/haul just do it. I don't see why people get all bent outta shape about these tow ratings. The truck is well capable of towing what ever u wanna tow with it. Don't need some random number as to how much the truck can "handle" I had a 99 ram 1500 and I loaded that bitch up like it was a semi.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
PteJack is on a distinguished road

150 lbs is not much, at least until your pulled over and ordered to unhitch your unit because your over weight.

I completely understand your frustration GT Yankee, I'm going through a similar situation trying to find a 5th wheel I can tow with my 3500 Longhorn.

As for the weight differencial, 3xlonghorn badges vs the small laramie decals, heavy duty floormats and extra trim, extra 12 volt recepticles, heavier alternator, spray-in bedliner, yada yada yada can build the 150lbs very quickly... and as such take away from your payload/tow capacity just as quickly.

Hope this helps...

Pte Jack