DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

Check the thread at the top named "IPOD AND IPHONE FIX" for more info.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

this is all bs. the man paid good money for his truck and his dealer can't fix it? lemon law it and make them give you a new truck. op... you start this process and they will magically fix it over night.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I would try using someone that you knows device, iphone, ipad, or whatever

if it doesn't work they way it should, then you know for sure that is something with the Ram radio.
When they screwed up the other module, they may have screwed up something within the radio itself
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

@ GTYankee, Thanks for letting me know about this posting. I don't get them all (you know with work and life in general).
Ok, So now onto the issue. here's a couple of pieces of information that will help you out.
1) I am really curios about the dealer not being able to update the original module. Most likely their was an operator error. There have been many people that have been to the dealer for the update and the dealer was not successful but yet there have been over 300 people that I have given the update to that have been able to perform the update with no issues.
2) In the beginning of your post you say that the "radio USB" won't charge your phone. This correct, and you will get the error message that you did from the phone "the charging source connected to your BB device cannot charge your battery". The reason is because This port is really there to power up a thumb drive and either download audio or picture files to the HD and also to play audio files. The phone requires more current than what is provided.
3) The radio USB hub has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the Uconnect system. The radios USB is controlled by the radio and the USB connector in the glovebox is the Uconnects USB and is controlled by the UC module. Most 2.0 USB hubs supply 5v @ 500 ma (1/2 of an amp). Some newer computers are upping that to 1 amp. You iPad WILL NOT charge with them. The tablet takes min of 1 amp to charge. (take the wall charger and read the specs).
4) For charging your phone you should be using the USB hub in your glovebox. This one does work correctly. (look at the battery level indicator on the phone, see the charging indicator)
5) An "older BB" may have charged because the battery was smaller and needed less charging current. I have an email into BB asking about the needed input current for their newer phones. If you look on your wall charger, you can see what it is rated at.
6) Can you tell me the name of the dealer, a phone # and the service writers name that is servicing you?
7) So we can see that the Uconnect module or system is not the issue here as much as it is a "wrong use" case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emorris69 View Post
Hello, Im a brand new member and Ive joined because I have a problem with my in dash usb port. My problem started after the deal put a whole new u-connect module in my truck. When I plug my black berry a Bold 9780 it gives me an error that the charging source is insufficient to charge my phone then there is a more info option and it is completely un helpful. So after I first noticed this I tried charging my iPad 2 to see if I would work but it tells my "not charging". So I took it back to my dealer and they tried an older black berry and it charged. So i don't have any clue what its problem is. I have owned the truck since day one and up until they replaced the modules it worked fine. I tried changing the cords out and not success. Both my phone and iPad 2 charge in the wall and my computer. I had it in today and they tell me that a call has been put into tech line and i need to wait on an answer. But I'm hoping some one here can help me.

Thanks
Emorris69
Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
dewright is on a distinguished road

Just to back up XSDBS post, try your phone on a another truck from the dealers lot, if it works on the dealers truck it should work on yours.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue pearl coat/Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:13
gysnst2 is on a distinguished road

They are correct about the USB power output. And my iPad2 will not charge from either usb port. But does charge from my lockpic. It does demand 1 amp to charge properly.
AVS bug guard, Mopar rubber mud flaps, Mopar vent visers, Snugtop cap, Remote tailgate lock, 392 LS, VHT tail lights, 9" LCD headrests, Debaged sides, tinted 20% front 35% rear, cabin air filter mod, topguncostumz 2,25 rear lift coils, bilstein 5100 set at 2.8, and bilstein 5100 rear shocks
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM

WOW, what's up with all the anger in this thread?
This is a total misunderstanding of how the equipment operates. I am not about to call anyone a liar here, but I really have to doubt that the radio USB ever charged the phone. I have tried 4 new BB devices and they all say the same message ("the charging source connected to your BB device cannot charge your battery"). The phone knows what is needed and it's telling you there isn't enough power.
Simple solution, use the correct power supply for the job. The Uconnect power supply is rated at a top side of 500 ma, meaning there is really a bit more to be safe from surges. The radio is just at 500 ma. It's design and intent is not to be used as a phone charger but for loading files to the radio HD and also to play audio files from a thumb drive.
I just also looked at the wall charger for this phone, it's rated at 700 ma..

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
this is all bs. the man paid good money for his truck and his dealer can't fix it? lemon law it and make them give you a new truck. op... you start this process and they will magically fix it over night.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM

As I mentioned. The iPad won't charge, there is not enough current. If you need it to charge in the vehicle then you will need to get a USB charger that plugs into the lighter (aux power port) like the one in this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Bracketron-Pow.../dp/B0052OVYV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysnst2 View Post
They are correct about the USB power output. And my iPad2 will not charge from either usb port. But does charge from my lockpic. It does demand 1 amp to charge properly.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM

I doubt that they screwed up the module. They just plain didn't read how to apply the update or the tech wanted to get paid more so he claimed the update didn't work, supposedly diagnosed it as a bad module and replaced it. Gaining about 1.5hr (or more) pay rather than .5 which is what the update would pay.
Besides, there's no damage that the Uconnect update could do to the radios USB connector or power supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I would try using someone that you knows device, iphone, ipad, or whatever

if it doesn't work they way it should, then you know for sure that is something with the Ram radio.
When they screwed up the other module, they may have screwed up something within the radio itself
Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Emorris69 is on a distinguished road

I believe I screwed up in the beginning, I have no radio usb. Only the one in my glove box and that was what I have always used to charge my phone. I had a similar thought about the amperage output from the glove box usb but never thought enough to check the specs. XSDBS I currently have a call into my dealer to get the info you asked for, I believe you are correct that they killed the original modules and screwed something up big time. The other thing is that some times it doesn't say its not charging it just doesn't. Im assuming this is what the dealer had happen when he used his phone.