DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500 RAM Crew Cab Sport
Rep:15
Poohster1 is on a distinguished road
Default Lowering Questions for a 2012 CC Sport

Hi all.

I am very impressed with all the great lowered Rams here. I am very jealous. I am drooling over the prospects of lowering my new CC Sport.

I do have several questions regarding McGaughy's suspension. I saw how the rear coil compress on a member's truck.

Does this present coil bind? Is this a progressive spring rate? I am fan of linear spring rate. Are Belltech coils linear spring rate?

What is the McGaughy's spring rate for the both the front and rear? I know lowering any vehicle, the spring rate needs to increase to compensate the drop.

Does the rear bottom out(McGaughy's)? I don't tow but I travel with the family and pack up a lot or I do move lawn equipment or stuff. It's still a truck. I read some members installing air assist bags to compensate the rear springs.

Why is McGaughy the only company to offer a panhard rod relocator? If this is important, then why hasn't Belltech done this?

Sorry for all the questions. I have had some experience lowering vehicles from my Dakota (Hotchkis) and my Mazdaspeed6. I just to be sure to lower the Ram appropriately and smartly.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: 2WD SLT Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RC DuDe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohster1 View Post
Does this present coil bind? Is this a progressive spring rate? I am fan of linear spring rate. Are Belltech coils linear spring rate?

What is the McGaughy's spring rate for the both the front and rear? I know lowering any vehicle, the spring rate needs to increase to compensate the drop.

Does the rear bottom out(McGaughy's)? I don't tow but I travel with the family and pack up a lot or I do move lawn equipment or stuff. It's still a truck. I read some members installing air assist bags to compensate the rear springs.

Why is McGaughy the only company to offer a panhard rod relocator? If this is important, then why hasn't Belltech done this?
Hey Poohster,

I think MgGaughy fixed the rear spring issue everyone was complaining about early on. I remember people complaining that they were too soft in the rear.

Both manufacturer springs are probably progressive, my Belltech's are. I have no idea what the spring rates are.

I only have experience with the 4'' Belltech drop and can tell you that no matter what manufacturer you go with you'll bottom out with a 4'' drop. With or without a load in it. Unless further modifications are made. Belltech uses better bump stops so it's not real harsh when bottoming out. I run air bags to assist with loads. I originally ran the bags made for the stock springs until someone on here listed shorter ones for us with a drop. Works so much better now.

McGaughy is the only manufacturer that I know of that provides a panhard bar bracket. McGaughy will not sell the bracket separately either. It is important to position the panhard bar correctly. I'm not sure why no one else makes one. Lawsuits from McGaughy's maybe??? They've been known to sue folks.

I still use my truck as a truck and tow (2k lbs) quite a bit without issues. The Belltech bump stops were engineered as part of the suspension. I had the panhard bar relocated and use an adjustable panhard bar. Those along with air bags works out nice for me. Sorry to be so long winded but I hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500 RAM Crew Cab Sport
Rep:15
Poohster1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great response. I guess either McGaughy's or BellTech haven't done their homework or owners expect a soft OE ride. I'm disappointed. I know lowering any vehicle requires a greater spring rate to compensate for the drop. This implies that usually OE shocks will not be able to handle higher spring rate or the OE shock life expectancy shorten a great deal.

If either McGaughy's or BellTech had correct spring rates then we wouldn't need air bags.

I will use you as a role model for lowered suspension. Either manufacturer with air lift bags and/or adjustable Panhard bar.

So far, I would love to drop the Ram but Wifey says not to spend money