DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Media Zone > Dodge Ram Pictures - Photos

Notices

Dodge Ram Pictures - Photos Post pictures of your Dodge Ram here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
homepiece is on a distinguished road
Default Rusty Rock Chip in 8 Months? Bad News, Good Pics

Hey everyone!

So I got this SWEET truck last fall - put on some 285/70/17s and it's been treating me great. Next plans is a level with Bilstein's - and obviously I'll be itching for bigger rubber . Here's a shot for now:

Anyways, I was washing it last night, and noticed the paint had flaked off on the front edge of the bed on the drivers side:

I don't recall anything hitting it while driving, and it's kind of out of the way for that I think? Maybe a mall parking lot job? Anyways, here's a close up of my issue - IT'S RUSTY

I am so rattled right now. How can an 8 month old truck - heck it was only built in July 2011 - be rusting? Would some soccer mom opening her door into it or a rock chip be able to cause this so soon?

Or - is there some sort of reason this could be bad under the paint? I had the rust proofing done when purchased. I plan on taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say, both in terms of causes and solutions, but for some unknown reason I'm not holding my breath.

I have already looked up all kinds of DIY fixes, but given the rust - and my lack of skillz - I want to be sure to get it done right and proper the first time especially since it's a nearly new truck. If the dealer claims rock chip = no help what are my options? Body shop for a fix? This is a little more than touch up paint and forget it I think.

I'm not looking to have a brand new truck if it's on me (my "fault") heck I don't even care that it looks good I just want the rust gone and painted.

I'd love to hear what the masses think - or even just some vibes - I am so choked I can't believe it!
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: 2 tone slate / silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
magster65 is on a distinguished road

Don't be choked, bare steel corrodes quickly. There may have been a contaminant in the paint or prep but it's more likely a rock chip. That is not an expensive repair though. Take it to a body shop and see what they say. You can repair that at home but if you have no experience... and you're picky... you might be best off leaving it to a pro.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

agree, up north rust happens pretty quickly. i would let the pros handle it.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
homepiece is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys - there's a spot near my office I can drop in to for an estimate.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Max Steel
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by homepiece View Post
Hey everyone!

So I got this SWEET truck last fall - put on some 285/70/17s and it's been treating me great. Next plans is a level with Bilstein's - and obviously I'll be itching for bigger rubber . Here's a shot for now:

Anyways, I was washing it last night, and noticed the paint had flaked off on the front edge of the bed on the drivers side:

I don't recall anything hitting it while driving, and it's kind of out of the way for that I think? Maybe a mall parking lot job? Anyways, here's a close up of my issue - IT'S RUSTY

I am so rattled right now. How can an 8 month old truck - heck it was only built in July 2011 - be rusting? Would some soccer mom opening her door into it or a rock chip be able to cause this so soon?

Or - is there some sort of reason this could be bad under the paint? I had the rust proofing done when purchased. I plan on taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say, both in terms of causes and solutions, but for some unknown reason I'm not holding my breath.

I have already looked up all kinds of DIY fixes, but given the rust - and my lack of skillz - I want to be sure to get it done right and proper the first time especially since it's a nearly new truck. If the dealer claims rock chip = no help what are my options? Body shop for a fix? This is a little more than touch up paint and forget it I think.

I'm not looking to have a brand new truck if it's on me (my "fault") heck I don't even care that it looks good I just want the rust gone and painted.

I'd love to hear what the masses think - or even just some vibes - I am so choked I can't believe it!
What I have done in the past is the following.

If it is a curved surface and I can get a small rat tail file to scrape away all the rust I do that and cover it with touch up paint. I have never had the rust come back after doing this. If this is a big no-no, I am sure someone else will fill me in.

NC
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: 2 tone slate / silver
magster65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post
What I have done in the past is the following.

If it is a curved surface and I can get a small rat tail file to scrape away all the rust I do that and cover it with touch up paint. I have never had the rust come back after doing this. If this is a big no-no, I am sure someone else will fill me in.

NC

The body shop might elect to do just that; a quick prep (file and sandpaper), touch-up paint and then blend. They might use a dab of etch and primer. Easy job... probably under their minimum charge.

Last edited by magster65; 05-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.