DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road
Default Was happy with paintjob...until today

Did my first hand waxing today and it left me less than satisfied with my truck's paintjob. None of the railroad dust or other defects I've read about in here, but I did notice a lot of what appear to be water spots all over the truck. Unfortunately, no amount of wax on, wax off will remove them. They appear to be burned into the clear coat. Since I have some experience with painting vehicles I know what to look for as far as issues with application. These look more like the truck was exposed to something like contaminated water or well water, which is prevalent here in Florida for irrigation or watering of lawns on rural or commercial properties. I'm guessing that the dealership uses well water for their greenery and that it gets on the cars. This water has a high mineral content (over time it will leave rust spots on walls and sidewalks) and if left to dry on the vehicle in the hot Florida sun I could see it doing this.
I doubt my dealer will do anything about it and Dodge probably won't take any responsibility either. They might come out with a serious compounding and buffing, but I no longer have the tools or physical ability to do this as I'm disabled. Took all I had just to wax the thing today and I'm hurting from it. What are my options? Can I file a consumer complaint if I can't get the dealer to do anything? It didn't happen at my home as we use city water for our sprinklers and they don't hit the truck where I park it anyway. It's so disappointing because now that I know they are there I can't help but see them when I look at the truck.
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

Try a clay bar on a couple of those mineral spots and see if it helps. We have hard water too here in north florida that will leave mineral spots if allowed to dry on an unwaxed painted surface. When you wax over them you sometimes seal in the calcium deposits. The clay bar should take em off. Last resort for stubborn mineral spots is vinegar, it dissolves the calcium. I've never heard of hard water actually eating into the paint finish. My dealer details with "spotless" demineralized water to avoid this sort of problem. A professional detailer should be able to deal with the situation and fix it for you provided it really isn't a serious paint defect.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

I agree with edd5. Might want to check this out for more information. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ve-Water-Spots
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Years ago I bought my wife a new '95 Mustang and the first day she had it she parked it at her office and they sprayed the lawn that day. They used well water for the irrigation and it was a hot sunny day.

Five years later you could still see the water spots on the glass, they were etched forever. After wet sanding the paint as much as we dared and buffed it about 50% of the spotting was gone but it was always there. Both my wife and I were sick about it, but after that she realized why nobody parked there.

I feel your pain, all you can do is take it to the dealer and ask, I'm sure if it happened there you wont be the first to complain. If its a decent dealer they will at least give it a shot and try to buff it out, if you can find some other cars on their lot with the same marks then you have some leverage. It may also have been a dealer trade if it came off the lot (unless you ordered it) so who knows what happened along the way.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguil View Post
I agree with edd5. Might want to check this out for more information. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ve-Water-Spots
Thanks for that. I'm going to talk to the dealer and see what they say. I never let water dry on the truck if I can help it. I use a leaf blower to dry the vehicle after washing to prevent exactly this kind of thing. I should have stuck with white.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

How long have you had the truck?

If its more than a few days I think you are hosed (no pun intended).

It could just be mineral deposits but it could also be acid rain.....

Bought a brand new Chebby car back in 98.....when we took delivery of it we saw spots like you talk about all over the horizontal surfaces. Two buffings by the dealer and no change. They said they would repaint, I said hellz no, its a brand new car.....I want a brand new car paintjob, not a respray in garage. They laughed. I pursued, and won. Got a new car sans acid rain damage.

Anyways, that doesnt help you much I guess...but maybe it will help someone else who hasnt bought theirs yet.....I know when I got my Ram recently one of the first things I inspected for was acid rain damage.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Red Pearl
Rep:19
Captc is on a distinguished road

I have had my Molten Red Pearl truck since Nov. I spent 2 days in Dec polishing and waxing. Dealer had left lots of swirl marks and rail dust. Clyabar, using a PC - 2 stages of polish to remove swirls and spots then 2 stages of wax.I use the Prima brand products that I found on the Mini-Cooper forum but any Pro type products should work. I am also in FL ( Miami) and get deposits from Sprinklers. Prima makes a post wash spray that I love called Hydo. Spay on when still wet and dry using Micro fiber towels

I am VERY OC when it comes to my vehicles they are NEVER machine washed. Remember anything that touches you truck can damage the paint so a good layer of wax is essential

Captc
Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Red Pearl
Rep:19
Captc is on a distinguished road

Here is a Pic of my Truck after wash and wax

Captc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_05252.jpg (83.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

And here's mine. The problem is when you look really close you can see the spots. There are some on the roof that are really bad.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Ya sprinklers are the worst might have been parked next to them at the dealer