DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:139
tminor will become famous soon enoughtminor will become famous soon enough
Default Terrible wheel hop

With no weight in the bed, my truck hops over just about any bump I come across. I'm pretty sure that on railroad tracks I'm getting the entire thing airborne. I have this : http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=251526333

kit installed, and 35" Toyo Open Country MT's. Again, when I have even as little as 150 pounds of stuff in the bed, it's the smoothest riding vehicle I've ever been in. But when empty, I almost don't want to drive my truck.

Any tips on how to end this problem so I actually enjoy using my vehicle?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminor View Post
With no weight in the bed, my truck hops over just about any bump I come across. I'm pretty sure that on railroad tracks I'm getting the entire thing airborne. I have this : http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=251526333

kit installed, and 35" Toyo Open Country MT's. Again, when I have even as little as 150 pounds of stuff in the bed, it's the smoothest riding vehicle I've ever been in. But when empty, I almost don't want to drive my truck.

Any tips on how to end this problem so I actually enjoy using my vehicle?
It is possible that you have changed the u-joint angles a little and it can cause a small bump, you can check by driving for a little bit then get under the truck and put your fingers on the u-joint caps, if the caps are real hot then either the angles are off or the u-joint is bad.

If the problem isn't with the u-joints then try taking off the shocks and see how they are test their recoil and everything like that, shocks don't really last 50,000 miles like they say bilsteins are a different story. It could be other things but this is all i can come up with off the top of my head without really thinking about it.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500 4X2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
Rep:10
Krooser is on a distinguished road

Sounds like bad shocks... their job is to keep the tires planted firmly on the pavement... doesn't seem yours are doing it. Those big tires have more sprung weight... the old shocks may not be up to the task.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:06 PM

I've only had this kit for about a year and have only driven the truck maybe 1k miles--do you think the shocks could've gone bad with so few miles on them?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've only had this kit for about a year and have only driven the truck maybe 1k miles--do you think the shocks could've gone bad with so few miles on them?

Thanks for the help!
Sometimes shocks are defective. But yes shocks can go bad anytime, they wear out faster if they are loaded. Also some good info, a shock absorber will osciallate 1750 times per mile, if a shock absorber was to last 50,000 miles that is over 87 Million oscillations. Besides shocks don't really last 50,000 miles. Sometimes you get lucky but when not often, Monroes certainly don't last 50K miles I will tell you that as a fact. Gabriels they last a while, oh all gabriel shocks are gas charged.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500 4X2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
Rep:10
Krooser is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Did you install new shocks when you installed the kit? If not that may be the problem...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Sorry it's been so long since I was on here!

Yeah, the kit came with new shocks. My buddy put it all on around March-April, then I deployed in July and the truck barely moved. I only really drive the truck on base, and since I bought it over a year ago have put less than 1k miles on it. The kit came with Rough Country gas (not nitrogen) charged shocks. But ever since day one the ride has been incredibly stiff EXCEPT when I have a good amount of weight in the bed. A few weeks ago I had about 20 bags of mulch in the bed, and it was the smoothest riding truck I've ever been in.

Does that make it seem more and more like it definitely is the shocks--maybe they just came defective from the factory?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry it's been so long since I was on here!

Yeah, the kit came with new shocks. My buddy put it all on around March-April, then I deployed in July and the truck barely moved. I only really drive the truck on base, and since I bought it over a year ago have put less than 1k miles on it. The kit came with Rough Country gas (not nitrogen) charged shocks. But ever since day one the ride has been incredibly stiff EXCEPT when I have a good amount of weight in the bed. A few weeks ago I had about 20 bags of mulch in the bed, and it was the smoothest riding truck I've ever been in.

Does that make it seem more and more like it definitely is the shocks--maybe they just came defective from the factory?
Ah you have rough country shocks, I assumed you had the OEM shocks. Anyways with rough country or anything that is a off-road or serious truck shock the ride is going to be a bit stiff and bumpy. OEM gabriel shocks for example will provide alot smoother of a ride but you can't use them in off-roading, personally off-road shocks aren't going to perform well on the road which is why they're off-road shocks. Bilstein's shocks perform exquisitly on the road and are acceptable off-road. I just use proguards by gabriel and they work perfect for my needs. But I will tell you this no matter what shock except for maybe bilstein, they don't last long as they say. Monroe says replace shocks every 50K miles, shocks should be replaced every 10K miles. Shocks don't last long no matter what anyone has told you they just don't last long. A shock can reverberate 1750 times per mile, multiply 1750 by 50,000 and you will get the picture.
But your shocks should fine, it's just the shocks aren't made for road use, the hopping you're feeling is really from the bed, once you put weight on the bed it gave the shocks a little pre-load you can say so it feels like the body is riding on air.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM

You're not the first person I've heard swear by the Bilsteins. It's good to hear that they perform fair enough off road as well, because occasionally my buddies and I will hit a mud hole or two, and they're usually not easy to get to. But, what can you tell me about monotube shocks. The most popular ones I've seen are the Rancho RS9000XL's and the new Skyjacker M95s--do you know if either of those are suitable for a mainly on-road but sometimes off-road truck?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
You're not the first person I've heard swear by the Bilsteins. It's good to hear that they perform fair enough off road as well, because occasionally my buddies and I will hit a mud hole or two, and they're usually not easy to get to. But, what can you tell me about monotube shocks. The most popular ones I've seen are the Rancho RS9000XL's and the new Skyjacker M95s--do you know if either of those are suitable for a mainly on-road but sometimes off-road truck?
I use Gabriels because I can't afford the bilsteins but I have seen there design and they're amazing. But to answer your primary question, the benefit of a monotube is that it is a two piston design which will give you a stiffer ride, another thing is you can mount them upside down to increase load capacity. Ther're like everything are disadvantages, for example there is no external buffer so they can get damage very easily, also they may not always fit because they are usually very long.
The benefits are really that they are designed for off road use and because they're stiffer when you hit pavement you're going to feel alot of road imperfections because there won't be much reverb, actually none at all.

Now the reason bilstein dual tube's perform well on and off road is because of how they pressurized the tube to I believe it's 350 PSI but don't hold me to that.

In terms of brand comparison for pavement use

Gabriel: Last very long, give decent ride comfort.
Monroe: Don't last long at all, give you the best ride comfort
Bilsteins: Last long, great comfort
of course more brands but I don't get to involved in the off-road brands. I stick with the real major brands.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 05-02-2012 at 10:29 PM.