DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000' 2500 Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
SirRamaLot is on a distinguished road

Hi all. I have the same problem with my '00. Mine is broken on the tray part not the dash.
The way Dodge designed it is they made little plastic pins (nubs) on the dash that inserts into plastic holes on the tray. The problem is that the plastic on the backside of the hole is very thin (not a lot of plastic) and that's the problem, that thin piece of plastic snapped off on one side of the tray.

My temporary fix is that I found the measurement between the center hump of the floor to the cup holder and bent up a U channel of .040 mm aluminum and turned it upside down and used it to support the cup holder in the open position. I stuck some truck canopy weather strip on the inverted U channel so that any vibration between the tray and the aluminum support will not mar the cosmetics of the cup holder. The legs of the U channel seem to grip the carpet pretty good even with an empty tray. The down side is that the cup holder light is always on and I cannot close the cup holder or the inverted U channel will fly around when cornering.

Now what I plan on doing for a fix is making a very thin washer. Using some thin gauge sheet metal ( 24ga or 26ga). First find out what diameter is that plastic pin (nub) on the dash and drill that hole size in the sheet metal. Then measure out how much room there is in that area of the tray where the hole is so the body of the washer can be completed. With some kind of adhesive ( I'm thinking of Plumbers Weld 2 part epoxy, " I really love that stuff".) using very little of it (cause there isn't much room for build up) glue it. This stuff will set in 20 mins and is drill able, tap able, sand able and paint able (according to box).

This theory has only been tested in my head and has not been applied practically. Please check for all clearances and tolerances before attempting. Thinner gauges of metal may need to be used (IE. 30ga sheet metal or even 16 oz. copper. I haven't evaluated this yet.

The only thing I have evaluated is the theory. I hope this helps the brainstorming or completes the remedy.

Good luck, I plan on tackling this task soon, when I do I will re post results and materials used.

thanks to this thread for the reminder.
J.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Silver
POPER is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is a year old, but I have a few hours to spare and figured I'd go try a few things with my cup holder. My plan is close to what RamaLot is saying but whatever I try I'll see if I can remember to take pictures along the way and hopefully I'll get it on the first try; if not I'll add a good trial-and-error section to this thread...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 ram 1500 extended cab 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: red
galatin is on a distinguished road
Default cup holder

would like to see your pic's too as I need to do some fix on my 2000 slt 1500