DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport, Quad
Trim Level: Sport
Color: maroon
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Sport10 is on a distinguished road

Well I did a lot of driving the last day or too and I'm happy to report that I am very happy with the tires at 50 psi, the truck seems to roll better under acceleration with the added pressure and road comfort wasn't really affected, maybe just a tad but nothing big by any means.
Mileage also has impressed me, same driving manners and I'm continually getting 14.2 - 15.5(city) really happy about this .....
Well anyways on to my magnaflow Y pipe and mandrel bent stainless piping install tom. Wish me luck, so long and tx to everyone for there replies...
Eric B.

Last edited by Sport10; 04-20-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:10
canamguy is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRamHemi View Post
I ran mine (BFG T/A KO's 285/60/20's) at 50 psi for a long time. Got 17 to 20 mpg avg. which I think is really good for this truck. The wear was even across the tread. No extra wear in the center. I dropped the psi to 40 recently because I could feel the truck seem to loose road contact over small road bumps, etc. . The road contact issue went away after lowering to 40 and the mileage is still the same and ride quality seems to be improved as in softer ride. Doesn't look like it would make that much difference, but it did, or, could just be me. I plan to try 45 psi and see what that does. BTW, my tires are rated to 65 psi max. pressure for towing and hauling. It has always been my experience that max. psi will get maximum tire life (and less rolling resistance which would equate to more mpg) at the sake of ride comfort. Hope this helps you.
I agree with what you say here. You can safely run your tires at the max PSI rating stamped on the sidewall of the tire. This should not cause any abnormal tire wear and is as you say supposed to make your tires last longer. I believe I read somewhere a few years ago when gas prices were at 1.50/liter and everyone was extra concerned about fuel mileage that running at max psi rating in comparison to the suggested psi on the door pillar of your vehicle could increase your fuel mileage by as much as 10% from what you normally get. If you increase your psi by 2-lbs every few days till you reach the max psi for your tire it won't be such a noticeable sudden change in ride quality. This is probably the cheapest and easiest mod you can do to noticeably increase fuel mileage outside of just not driving it at all and that wouldn't be any fun.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 11 Ram Quad
Trim Level: sxt
Color: red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:13
squig69 is on a distinguished road

was in talking to my service guy yesterday and asked about what tire pressure i should be running if i went with a high ply rated tire and he told me to run it at the same psi as its running now which is at 40psi on the stock tires.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport, Quad
Trim Level: Sport
Color: maroon
Rep:21
Sport10 is on a distinguished road

Update ..... Dropped the tires to 45 psi 2 days ago and this is where it's def. staying. Better road manners, less hop over bumps , smooth comfortable ride, and mileage is right around 14ish for city driving and that's with being somewhat aggressive with the pedal...
Eric B.