DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

op, like oil you will get more than a few opinions on what you should do. i like waxing and detailer my own truck. educate yourself on the new formulas for wax and polish. then decide between the new synthetic wax and the carnuba wax. for now you should do fine doing it yourself, when the paint ages and starts to dull a little, then bring it to a pro and pay to have brought back to a showroom shine.
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

As far as waxing and overall car care.
I will first start out by cleaning the inside, vacuum and then use turtle wax interior car cleans, then wash the van with turtle wax car wash, then I towel dry it quickly to prevent water marks. The I wax using turtle wax carnuba wax, now if their are areas that require rubbing compound then I use turtle wax rubbing compound and then use standard turtle wax wax because I noticed when you use the plain wax on areas that have had rubbing compound it hides the scratches better. Then the next time I go to do a wax I use carnuba to get a gleam shine that lasts long. Then I go around and use turtle wax chrome polish comes in a brake fluid shape container and I do the chrome. Then I go ahead and put turtle wax tire shine on the tires.

I keep everything in a bucket in the back of the van. It takes me a little while to clean but the results are nice
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadango View Post
Only Mother's carnuba paste wax for this Ram!

++1 for Mother's carnuba wax. Did a great job on my black Ram.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONOutdoorsman View Post
++1 for Mother's carnuba wax. Did a great job on my black Ram.
I recall my grandmother, who took care of my grandpap's car (a chevy, but I will forgive them for that)......I was about 16 maybe...and I remember her showing me the can and saying "I only use Mother's...its the best!"

That was about 30 years ago....LOL

She knew her cleaning products.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I've moved on from natural waxes to the man made kind. Its a little confusing, some call them sealers, some polishes, some synthetic wax etc. They last longer and shine just as well in my opinion. I also like some cleaner in my products, but a clay bar first does a better job. On my Challenger, I use a clay bar about once a year, and use Zaino. Zaino is really good stuff, and it doesn't leave a white residue if you get it on black plastic. Zaino has very little cleaning ability, so a clay bar is really needed.

I also use a dual action power buffer on my drivers. People worry about burning there paint or scrathing it with power buffers, but its much easier than it looks. Its almost impossible to burn through your paint, unless you are really trying.

Another recomendation I have is to get some micro fiber cloths, they are a huge improvement that has been made to the detailing industry.

All these posts and info may seem confusing, but start out simple, experiment with different products, and you will have it figured out before long.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

There is a specific section that discusses washing and waxing and general maintance of your truck. You might want to post your question there, as there are many people in that section that have expert experience and knowledge of detail products and procedures to use. Two places I would suggest you research before you buy any products or attempt to protect the paint on your truck
1. autogeek.net--this site tells you about detailer products--what to use, what to expect and they also compare products. They also do how-to instructions. They sell professional detailer products(their shipping costs are a little high)
2. autopia.org--this site is a worldwide detailer's site. They talk about products and their techniques and help people solve problems with their vehicle finish. Excellent how-to information.
Both these sites are free.
Jay
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

I waxed my truck once, when I was done I through the wax in the trash and swore that would never happen again!!! Take it to someone else!
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparornocar72 View Post
I wouldnt clay bar too often though! Once every now and then is ok though.
I agree with everyone on the DIY. As far as the clay bar it's just not necessary on a new vehicle. I clay barred my Challenger 3 months after getting it. Clay bar didn't pick up much. Yes the results were amazing, but still could have waited.

I like Turtle Wax ice synthetic wax.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Color: grey
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

If you only want to do it a couple of times a year go for the synthetic sealant and wax. It lasts longer than natural carnauba. You need shade or a cloudy day, don't wax in the sunshine. Clay bar is a good idea, I just did my new truck (only has 400 miles) and removed a fair amount of crap like rail dust from roof and hood, not much on sides. I use a synthetic paint sealant (Klasse) after the clay bar. Just use an old cotton sock and put it on thin, a little goes a long way. Do the whole truck, paint, black plastic, chrome, everything. You can let it dry completely. Then just wipe off residue with a microfiber. Then get a good wax, I use Collinite 476. Do only one panel at a time, put it on very thin with an applicator pad and do not let it dry, buff it off when it hazes which it will do almost right away. Do the chrome too. You can do the black plastic with this stuff, but buff off immediately. Remember, thin coat! If you leave a white wax ridge at a gap or emblem you are using too much wax! Then you are good to go for 6 months or more. Stay out of carwashes that have touch brushes, they will give you swirl marks. Only go thru touchless washes, and don't get the cheapo wax, it will screw up your good wax job.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
heathdeloach is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input, y'all! Looks like I'll need some good music, a little elbow grease, and a sixxer of guinness this sunday evening!