DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My Build - '12 Big Horn

180K views 1K replies 55 participants last post by  rammn 
#1 · (Edited)
OK people, I wanted to start a thread about my build. Its a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn, black exterior (which I love and hate at the same time :LOL:). Anyways I have debaged it, added the vent shade things, Ive order interior LED lights from superbrightleds.com which should be in soon. Also I am attempting to lightly smoke the tail lights. I have an old pair of LED tails off my GMC I am trying that out with. Actually I have heads, tails, and fogs that I am testing it with LOL. I am using the VHT Night Shades, but they seems to be a little on the blueish side unless you use it heavily. Help would be greatly appreciated with that. Ill attach a pic of the tails and heads that Ive smoked. I will be adding a brush guard (or front end replacement, dont know yet), headache rack, and HID's. Thanks for looking!!

Brand new from dealer

Debadged

These are pics of trying to perfect the smoked lights process on my old gmc aftermarket heads, tails, and fogs....Any help would be great as to why they kinda look blue (hard to see in these pics)

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I smoked my tail lights. Here are pics!!

First the materials I used:

Dupli-Color Prep-Wipe & masking tape

The cans that actually get the job done! :LOL:

One light before smoked, I taped up the reverse light section. IMO they dont need to be smoked.

3 brake light after smoked

Both tails after smoked (They are both the same shade, just more light reflected off the one on the right)

Everything installed. Looks good I think

#4 ·
looks pretty good, could go a shade or 2 darker with the tinting, try wet sanding the light first next time and try and get a few layers of clear to protect them. i think the grille guard looks better then the other one but thats my opinion, im tinting my tail lights and getting a bumper put on as we speak

#6 · (Edited)
Well I got my front grille painted to match the truck. Its more of a flat black than shiny black, but still looks a lot better than all that chrome in the front in my opinion.

Also got my short billet antenna installed. I couldnt stand that big silver antenna.

Also, got the windows tinted. 5% front windows, 5% front strip which is the best ever, blocks so much light, and 18% laid over back doors and rear glass

#7 ·
Just put my order in at dipyourcar.com. Gonna be plasti dip my rims, bumpers, and mirrors. They have a gloss kit that comes with 4 cans of matte black and 3 cans of gloss. I bought 3 extra cans of black and gloss. Good thing is, if I screw up, I can just peel it off lol. Which is good for me since I know how tp screw things up!!!

#10 ·
Make sure ya post pics after ya Plasti-Dip everything. Pics are gold around these parts lol.
It is easy believe me. I was worried when I first did it but heck if I can't screw it up then you are good to go. I may haveta look into that shorty antennae, I am getting tired of the piece of crap one Dodge puts on our trucks. Only big ass antennae should be whips for a CB .

#14 ·
Brush guard should be an easy at home install (unless doing the bumper replacement guards lol). If just doing the brush guard then might wanna see if you can install it yourself, would save ya a little money for future mods. I haven't messed with headache racks but am sure they should be just as easy. Can't wait to see this thing after these mods though.

#16 ·
Yea I checked with the shop today and they said the headache rack installed would be 499 installed!?!?! I said, are you shitting me? lol...The exact same headache rack i found online for 199 w/ free shipping. Its 4 bolts, I feel pretty confident that I can accomplish that task. In my opinion, no headache rack is worth 300 labor, but thats just me. IDK, I gotta figure out. Im shopping online now lol.

Trucks looking good!
Thanks bud, I appreciate it man... your truck looks good as well

#18 ·
Well, I just put my order in with GoRecon...got the 60" fire and ice tailgate bar, 62" big rig running lights that also light up with turn and hazard signals, and turn white when you open the doors, and smoked cab marker lights!!! Will post pics when they are installed...hopefully I can get the wheels plati-dipped and all this stuff installed next weekend. If not, Im gonna be taking a week off REAL soon. Its hard for a truck driver to go to Dallas everyday. I think thats why I drink!!! LOL!!

#19 ·
I hear ya bud. I am a truck driver also (left over the road and started running tri-axle). Definitely not worth that much to be installed. All you really need is hand tools and the instructions and you will be fine.. Or do what I do and set it on the truck and see where things line up and if after an hour ya can't figure it out ya look at the directions and go oh shit it's on backwards. Brush guards are just as easy for install, make sure you can get a good tight pull on the bolts and you are good to go. If not then pick up a impact and righten them down that way. Personally I like using the impact so I know that something isn't going to fall off anytime soon.

#20 ·
Yea Im dedicated, usually home 4 out of 5 nights, and home on weekends...flatbed...I guess im gonna have to install all these things..Just bought more stuff, got it all from 4wheelonline.com...heres what I got

West HDX Grille Guard

Volant CAI

Aries Headache Rack

And a Truxxx 2" leveling kit

I said I was gonna be doing mods, and now I got plenty to put on. So I gotta put that stuff on, all the recon lights, and the HID's. They should all be in by this weekend hopefully. Now, I think Ill indulge in a ice cold Bud Light!!! Yes, I know what time it is LOL!

#22 ·
Well, I got the HID kits, the Recon 60" LED tailgate bar, and plasti-dip in mail today. Got one of the headlights installed, and I must say Im very disappointed. I thought 5000K would be more of a bright white, but its not. It almost the same as factory lights but a little more white (if that makes sense). So now, Im gonna buy 8000k and hopefully they will be much better. Also got the tailgate bar installed. Heres a couple of pic from my phone (pics dont do it any justice, VERY bright). Very happy with it.

#25 ·
Yea ill take pics later...5K is not what I though it would be though...Its more yellow than anything....buuuut I havent driven the truck on the road yet so they might be different when I do...just shining them on the house, and I only got one installed...got too dark and a little tipsy also lol...right now Im in the process of plasti-dipping my wheels

#28 ·
Yea like I said it might be different once I get onto the road, just shining them on the brown house it looks yellow, sooo Im hoping that it will be white...ohhh yes I will post pics of the wheels...thankfully it will come right off if I dont like it lol...got a lot more mods in the mail on the way...waiting on FedEx man right now for my other Recon products!!!

#33 ·
Looking good man. Really like how they came out for ya. What other Recon ya got coming in? I am guessing ummm.. tail lights aaaand third brake light.. possibly cab lights?? Whatever it is can't wait to see it installed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.